Notices

To new beginnings

Old 08-29-2016, 10:39 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

To new beginnings

Hope everyone is keeping it together. This is my first post on this forum. I have been binge drinking for 20+ years and everything bad that has happened in my life is directly or indirectly connected to my alcohol consumption. It started as a coping mechanism for anxiety/OCD issues and helped initially but now has total control of my life. I have been trying to quit for the last one year and have been sober for 2-3 months but keep making the same mistakes. I have no doubt that this evil/disease will take away everything that I love and care for but I still cannot get myself to quit. I am at a place where I would go as far as considering an antabuse implant or any sort of alcohol vasectomy to get myself out of this rut. All suggestions welcome. I have been sober only 3 days now but if I give in again, I will lose all hope.
Old 08-29-2016, 10:54 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

it is said we learn from our mistakes.. mmmm think more like you just keep falling over them every so often.. good luck London. keep trying for its when you stop trying that you really fail.. woot woot.
Old 08-29-2016, 11:23 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks Ardy when I said lose all hope I meant all hope of doing it on my own. I will never stop trying as long as I live. I have never been on any forums before but I am willing to try anything and everything it takes to get my life back.
Old 08-29-2016, 11:30 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome Manicmick

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ery-plans.html
Old 08-29-2016, 12:13 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Good job on 3 days! When ever I feel weak I come here and read, read, and read. I sometimes post too.
Old 08-29-2016, 12:55 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

AA!!!

It's not that scary. I'm one of those people lol. I just know that I've tried to do it on my own SO many times and it's never worked long term. The support of people in AA has been my saving grace. I'm 33 and there are plenty of people my age in the program so it helps. Find somebody who you can relate too and you can support each other
Old 08-29-2016, 01:29 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I generally don't do well with groups of people but at this point I'll try anything. There is an AA for newcomers this Saturday and seems to be the only "open" one close to where I live. I doubt I'll be able to do more than once a week because of my job but I'll try. Thanks for all your help!
Old 08-29-2016, 02:42 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome manicmick, you are doing yourself a real favor by quitting alcohol.

From my experience, just collecting sober days is what you need to do, just that one daily goal of not drinking. It sounds like a no brainer, but the thing is you need the time away from alcohol just to get anything from feeling better to perspective, so I guess my suggestion is that whatever route you take be it AA or otherwise, don't lose sight of collecting sober days.
Old 08-29-2016, 03:38 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

manicmick, that open meeting will be good for you. Just try to talk with at least one person. Not everyone can make 5-7 meetings per week. I don't plan on it when I get my steps done and some sobriety under my belt. But I do know that in the early stages we are very fragile. A support system is a defence against giving in and drinking.
Old 08-29-2016, 03:39 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Mick - I think you'll find us all pretty friendly here

D
Old 08-30-2016, 12:04 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone for your kindness. Meeting a few friends from school after ages this weekend but plan to stick to my resolve. Besides who needs a drink when you have good company!