Notices

Working around alcohol

Old 08-27-2016, 08:53 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Working around alcohol

Any thoughts on holding a job that involves serving alcohol as a recovering alcoholic? Is this setting recovery up for failure?
Old 08-27-2016, 09:43 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Do your best

There's other jobs ?
Old 08-27-2016, 09:48 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Catch 22

No. If you want to drink you will, if you dont you will not.
Old 08-27-2016, 09:50 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'd think it would be hard. I have a job where "unofficial" work "meetings" take place in bars and find that hard. But if I was serving alcohol people would ask me about it. "I can't decide. Which is your favorite cocktail?" "What tastes the most like---"

You know what I mean?

It's a little weird for me not to drink in my job but I can see how it fits. If the existence of my job was dependent on alcohol I can't imagine what that would look like.
Old 08-27-2016, 09:54 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by kgr103110 View Post
Any thoughts on holding a job that involves serving alcohol as a recovering alcoholic? Is this setting recovery up for failure?
Are you considering it? And if so have you considered jobs that don't involve alcohol? It's not impossible, but it's very difficult and many have told stories here about how they ended up drinking on the job despite their best efforts.
Old 08-27-2016, 09:54 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi kgr,
Don't know if this is helpful, but like most children I loved sweets. As a teen I worked in a sweets shop for a couple of months and I frequently 'snacked.' By the end I couldn't stomach the sight of candies, etc. another day.
If I tried to work around alcohol now I would NOT feel well, so - I don't know - maybe it would provide negative reinforcement? Probably most folks here will say, "if it's a temptation probably best to find an alternative."
Old 08-27-2016, 12:47 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

in an environment like that, the first thing that will rush to your mind is, "Why can these people drink and i can't?" Better just to avoid situations involving alcohol for a while...if you really want to be sober, that's the step you should take.