Notices

Insomnia

Old 08-29-2016, 03:57 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JesseJe View Post
I feel for you! I have periods of insomnia regularly. Theres some herbs you can try but consult with your doctor first. Valerian seems to relax some, chamomile too, even supplementing with GABA or melatonin has improved life for some.

Again, consult your doctor maybe he can help you!
Thanks, Jesse. I'm very sensitive to meds so I wasn't sure how herbs would effect me.

I've heard Valerian tea is good, but I've been cautious about trying it. My psychiatrist talks about GABA a lot, but I don't know how to naturally raise it. I didn't know there was a GABA supplement you can take. I was going to try melatonin but I read some negative things about it mixing with antidepressants online. Chamomile tea sometimes works and sometimes does nothing, even after steeping it for 7 minutes.
Old 08-29-2016, 04:00 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CLAS View Post
Centered- I feel you. Insomnia is tough stuff. Couple things that have really, really helped me:

1.) On youtube there are sleep/dream music selections. Type in "8 hours of sleep music." I leave my laptop on my nightstand and the music softly plays as I drift off. Really helps with better thoughts and reducing anxiety.
2.) A fan blowing helps me too.
3.) In my experience melatonin has helped. The key for me is to take it early. If I go to bed at 10 I take it at 9:15 or so.
Hi CLAS, thanks for sharing what helps you. We've started to leave music on the tv and that helped one night but other nights I'd still be awake after the 30 minute timer went off.

I'd rather not use the laptop for music since the blue light supposedly keeps you awake. My husband falls asleep with his tablet on, and I sometimes wonder if that blue light is contributing to my insomnia. I also tend to look at my cell phone and read from there in bed and that also contributes to the blue light insomnia thing.

I like your idea of the fan blowing for some relaxing white noise.

I've heard that melatonin is helpful but I read something online about it that caused me not to take it. I don't recall exactly what I read but I think it was something about taking it while on an antidepressant. I'm glad it helps you, though.
Old 08-29-2016, 04:04 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberCAH View Post
When I get occasional insomnia, it is frequently an indicator that I have a slight bit of depression.
You could be right. Even my therapist said I'm doing a lot this summer--made some big amends, started a new job, etc. Maybe it is depression rearing its ugly head again. My therapist doesn't think I've processed the amends emotionally and I plan to bring that up this week with him. I have a feeling unfinished stuff is in my subconscious.

If I take a little extra meds, it goes right away.
Meaning, increasing your antidepressant? I'm not sure what you mean by "taking a little extra meds" since with antidepressants we're supposed to keep the amounts consistent? Or do you mean taking something like an occasional Xanax? I don't feel anxious so I'm not sure that's a good idea to deal with insomnia...

I'm sorry you're struggling with this, Centered.
I sure hope it goes away soon..
Thank you, that is very kind of you.

Thanks for sharing it with us.
Transparency is the only way we help ourselves and help others.
Old 08-29-2016, 04:13 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BrendaChenowyth View Post
Rather I've had trouble falling asleep because my mind just won't stop. It's been bringing up all the painful things from the past that I'd been turning to alcohol to avoid thinking about. Or else it turns to fantasy to feel good and avoid letting the painful thoughts come up. Either way I'm WIDE awake. It's one of the hardest parts of sobriety for me because I just want those thoughts to stop and alcohol always killed em.
You described this perfectly. Maybe that's what's happening. I can't seem to shut my thoughts off. Or, the thoughts are in my subconscious and I'm not aware of them. My therapist says it's my trying to avoid feelings. But he doesn't explain to me clearly how I am supposed to feel my feelings. It's very frustrating.

I agree. Alcohol stopped the thinking. Sometimes I feel like saying, "God please shut off my mind!!"

Going to start trying a few things:
No caffeine or sugar past 4pm
Stay out of the bed once I'm up in the morning (that's hard since it's where I usually relax.. going to have to bring the laptop to the living room lol outside my comfort zone)
Read or write for an hour before bed
Make up my mind to sleep once I'm in bed
I've tried these things too. I think I need to figure out what to read before bed that's relaxing, and not related to recovery/addiction. Even reading spiritual books before bed don't always help because it's just a reminder again. But sometimes certain spiritual books are helpful.
Old 08-29-2016, 04:16 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dame View Post
So very sorry you're dealing with this, Centered. Difficulty with sleep for 4 years. After detox, practically NO sleep for over two months. I was an absolute mess. And when you lie down, but your head won't stop thinking, worrying, etc.,......ugh.
I'm not a fan of Ambien. It didn't work well for me; I was even afraid I might be developing an addiction. It can also be hard to get because it is a controlled substance.
Wow, Dame, I'm sorry you've been dealing with this for 4 years!! I didn't know Ambien was a controlled substance. My sister was on Lunesta during a temporary depression in her life and that helped her. My doctor seemed to think I could take Xanax for occasional insomnia, and I did once or twice, but this is nightly and I do not want to take Xanax like that.

I finally went to a dr. and asked for Trazodone (it had been advised by another dr.) It's an ant-depressant (but not a very good one), but one of the side effects is pronounced drowsiness. I started taking it and slept right away - although one doesn't go from 0 to 90 right away, lol. Took 2 or 3 nights to "adjust." I tried all of the "natural" stuff too. Sometimes you just need some extra help.
I hope you get relief soon.
I was prescribed Trazodone last summer when I had insomia/depression but came off it when I read negative things about it online--that it's very difficult to come off of, and could cause Serotonin Syndrome mixing it with other SSRI's. I really should stop reading things off the internet, you just don't know what's true and what isn't. I'm mad at myself now for coming off of it, because it did help me sleep. I'm going to see if it's still good or if it expired I'll call the psychiatrist.
Old 08-29-2016, 04:21 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
I, in working with my physician, have tried every non-habit forming medication there is for my sleep issues, and I still have them. I have sleep onset insomnia, and Ive always been a light sleeper after that.
I'm sorry to hear you've tried all the non-habit forming meds for insomnia. I also am a very light sleeper when I do eventually fall asleep.

We finally ran out of things to try. The best for getting to sleep is seroquel, an anti psychotic. Problem is, I feel awful when I wake up for about an hour. And this is on 25mg. I'm quartering 200mg pills then halving those. We started on 200mg and it just knocked me out and I felt horrible for 24 hours.
I'm glad you found something worked but I'm sorry it makes you feel awful for an hour in the morning. I'm glad you have a doctor who is working with you to find a solution.

So I only take that on weekends. The rest of the time I just deal with it.

I also have RLS. Average time to fall asleep is 1-2 hours. sometimes its 3-4. I'm at 11.5 months sober.
I am sorry for your struggles. :-( Congrats on being almost a year sober! I hope your doctor can help you solve your RLS.

But you know what, I still feel better than I did when I was hungover all morning, every day.
LOL that is a good point. I keep reminding myself of that when I have the momentary thought of, "wine used to help me fall asleep...."!!
Old 08-29-2016, 04:24 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SpaceMandrill View Post
Aye, sleep really is a big one, isn't it? I was wondering, was it the alcohol that caused the insomnia in most of us? Or did we start medicating anxiety, and by extension insomnia, with alcohol? I honestly don't know which one it was for me. Bit of both, probably.
I think it was a bit of both for me as well. Drinking masked the issues that caused the insomnia, and then drinking itself caused insomnia.

Don't have much advice apart from what others said. Getting exercise in the day, whatever you can manage, helps. Also, hot milk with a spoon of honey. I'm serious, its the dogs bollocks. Full of tryptophan and melatonin.
I literally have no energy to exercise. I am hoping once I recharge and rebuild my energy reserves I can get back into it. Hmm what is this about hot milk and honey? Does it have to be dairy milk? I did notice one night when I had a bit of cottage cheese before bed, I slept relatively well that night.
Old 08-29-2016, 04:27 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Gottalife View Post
C3,
how is your step 11 pratctice? Before we retire at night..... are the decks clear of the day's accumulated baggage?
Really good point to bring up, Mike.

I think perhaps I am not being honest with myself about what baggage I still have that some family living amends from this summer brought up from my subconscious. My decks are clear for the most part with daily stuff, but not with that heavier stuff. Any suggestions?
Old 08-29-2016, 04:32 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Anyone have good resources for "sleep hygiene" that helped them with insomnia?
Old 08-29-2016, 04:35 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Jeffery View Post
When I cant sleep I get out of bed, Eat a snack in the living room, then try to go to bed again. It seems to work. If I just lay there I cant fall back asleep.
I used to have a small bowl of cereal if I couldn't sleep. I'll try that again. I'm going to look up which foods are good sources of tryptophan and melotonin, like the milk idea.
Old 08-29-2016, 04:41 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by zjw View Post
one other kicker with lack of sleep i read about just yest how high cortisol can cause insomnia then insomnia can cause low serotonin and depresson and also how yoru receptors for serotonin get screwed up etc.. then this can cause cortisol.... so it s a cycle then it can take 7 days of good sleep for your to normalize back its like Oh great seriously? i dont recall the last time i got 7 solid nights rest!!(@!*
Curious where you read this?

Yes I completely agree; I think I have adrenal fatigue although western medical doctors don't believe that's a true diagnosis so I don't know because my doctor won't refer me to an endocrinologist to get my hormones tested. I need to find a new doctor. I completely agree that my cortisol levels are screwed up. I can be drop dead tired at 10-10:30 but when 11:00 hits, I get an energy hit and I am wide awake. Also my husband noticed I seem to crash energy wise late afternoon, and that's another cortisol symptom.

I did not know about the cortisol-depression link but that makes a lot of sense. I do feel like my depression is worsening the more the insomnia is continuing. Wow a full 7 days of sleep to reset things?! Yikes.

so anyhow with all that being said I started to realize why i'm such a mess. they gave tips tho.

shut off all tv no unnatural light try and relax etc.. all this when going to bed. I guess that all sounds good but tell that to my 6 kids *sigh*.
Yup I read that, too--the blue light from electronics messes us up. My spouse doesn't believe it because he doesn't experience it. I think room temperature has an effect on sleep, too. It's hard for me to relax before bed, too. I think I have too much on my mind.
Old 08-29-2016, 05:28 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Originally Posted by Centered3 View Post
Really good point to bring up, Mike.

I think perhaps I am not being honest with myself about what baggage I still have that some family living amends from this summer brought up from my subconscious. My decks are clear for the most part with daily stuff, but not with that heavier stuff. Any suggestions?
First step 11 and listen for God's will for you on this. If nothing comes you may be blocked and it might help to go back to your sponsor and review your 8th step list. Look for unmade or overdue amends. Think honestly if anyone needs to be added to that list. Then pray for the willingness to take action.

Your sponsor may be able to help pick out anything else that might be blocking you.

Best wishes
Old 08-29-2016, 05:32 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Actually, in early sobriety I found my decks were pretty clear most days, of the daily stuff. It was the heavy stuff from the past that stopped me sleeping, the things I did, the people I was afraid to face. I knew I had no chance if I tried to just bury that stuff. As I recall you have already done a huge amount in this area. Maybe there are just some loose ends?