Notices

Again really?

Old 08-25-2016, 12:04 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Charilee, you certainly aren't hopeless!! Have you considered inpatient rehab? I fought it for years but it was the best thing I ever did -- honest! (Just make sure to do your research, there are bad ones out there like everything else...) Are you on any medication for your depression? AA is fine but it's a support group, nothing else.
Old 08-25-2016, 12:15 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Charliee, it takes a little effort. If you ever hope to get anything out of SoberRecovery, you're going to need to read and post more.

I am not going to say that you get out of recovery what you put into it, because for me the rewards far exceeded my expectations. It just took some first steps, like posting every day in the 24-Hour Club. Give it a try!
Old 08-25-2016, 04:08 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I've done impatient, twice now. Last time was in December. I'm considering going back to intensive outpatient again. I'm going to a meeting everyday, but the cravings are still relentless. It's taking everything I have right now not to drink. My husband works out of town a lot and it's just so easy. I am trying to read and work the steps, but we never seem to have any women available to sponsor. I'm trying.
Old 08-25-2016, 04:13 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'd try everything I could, hoping to hit on the solution, Charliee.

I think coldfusion is right about posting more. why not join the Class of August thread?

D
Old 08-25-2016, 04:29 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

im glad youre still with us, Charlie!
im glad youre going to meetings and I know theres areas that aa can be short on women sponsors.
HOWEVER
you can pick up the phone and call the women before you drink.

now, this here is just the straight up facts:
getting sober is friggin hard. fighting the craving,compulsion, and obsession was the hardest thing I ever had to fight- and that includes fighting cancer which I was diagnosed 13 month into recovery.
the craving,compulsion,and obsession didn't just leave real quick- I had it for quite some time.
but I made a decision I wanted what the program said I could get- ALL of the promises( theres promises for every step) and I was willing to go to ANY lengths to get it- I was willing to do ANYTHING necessary for victory over alcohol, and faught my ass off.
it took T.I.M.E. and footwork, but eventually the craving,compulsion, and obsession were lifted, just as the 10th step promises say they would.
HOWEVER
it was about 6-7 months before I made it a full 24 hours without even thinking about drinking.

staying sober has been easy and worth every second of fight.

PLEASE!!! keep going to meetings, pray like crazy, read the big book, get phone numbers( if you don't have them) and use them BEFORE you drink. the phone is much lighter than a bottle and much better solutions.

heres a little something from dr bobs story:
But if you really and truly want to quit drinking liquor for good and all, and sincerely feel that you must have some help, we know that we have an answer for you. It never fails,if you go about it with one half the zeal you have been in the habit of showing when you were getting another drink.
Your Heavenly Father will never let you down!
Old 08-25-2016, 04:44 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Impatient treatment has helped a lot of people to get a jump start. I went way back when and highly recommend it.
Mountainman
Old 08-25-2016, 04:47 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Charlie, are yoy asking for a sponsor at meetings? maybe if you ask someone and they say they cant ask if they know someone that can?
Old 08-25-2016, 05:23 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

They ask everyone who is able to sponsor to raise their hand, it's been only men lately. I have a very close friend who is helping me out, but I would like to get into the book and really work the steps. I haven't been able to do it on my own. The worst for me over the past few days is I haven't been able to get out of my own head for very long, so that means no sleeping, no interest in anything and just a big pity party for myself.
Old 08-26-2016, 03:28 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Going to those Big Book Studies and
step study meetings helped me to understand
how to work and incorporate the steps
in all areas of my life.

It's the same as when we went to grade
school, high school or college. We bring
our books, paper, pencils, highlighters
to take notes. For me at first I didn't want
to get my books dirty so I handled them
with care.

THEN I spotted those folks who had
many one days sober, yrs of sobriety
and the the shape of their books opened
in front of them.

I saw worn, written on, highlighted pages
bounded in a pretty brown leather cover.
I said to myself, these guys are using their
books, learning from them, bringing them
to every meeting they go to.

I WANT THAT. I WANT WHAT THEY HAVE.

So, I began bringing all my books with
me and each time they spoke or quoted
something important out of those pages
I turned to that page and wrote and
highlighted them.

Scholars is what I think of those
folks that paved the way for me
to follow and help me learn and
live sober each and everyday.

Today, I can look at my books, step
and big book say that it they are worn
well. That these books taught me and
still teach me how to live my life in
recovery using all those important
messages, quotes, saying, time spent
on each page has allowed me to remain
sober for a many one days at a time
now.

All those meetings I went to, just like
going to school, has helped me build
a strong foundation to live my life upon
each day with willingness, openmindness
and honesty to achieve health, happiness,
understanding, acceptance, serenity
and enjoy, appreciate the promises
as written in the big book for us.
Old 08-26-2016, 06:44 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Don't ever give up....ever.

This is possible.
Old 08-26-2016, 07:07 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

((((Charlie)))). Others have already given you loads of good suggestions so indict have much to add except to say you are not alone. The difference for you is that at least you are reaching out here and in the rooms of AA. Getting sober isn't easy, but it's simple. Don't pick up the drink.

Keep coming back!!
Old 08-26-2016, 07:57 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Charliee View Post
They ask everyone who is able to sponsor to raise their hand, it's been only men lately. I have a very close friend who is helping me out, but I would like to get into the book and really work the steps. I haven't been able to do it on my own. The worst for me over the past few days is I haven't been able to get out of my own head for very long, so that means no sleeping, no interest in anything and just a big pity party for myself.
im sure ya know self pity isnt good. so, gotta get out of that. how? welp you could decide to go to any lengths for victory over alcohol to start.
then keep going to meetings,read the big book,pray like crazy(I had quite a few days that i spent the entire day talkin with my HP), talk to others in recovery and
dont drink even if your ass falls off.

ok, so they ask and only men raise their hands.
how about approaching the women after the meetings and asking them to sponsor you?
and if they say they cant, ask them for their phone number and if they know someone that can?
and pick up the phone before ya pick up a bottle.
Old 08-26-2016, 08:37 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Keep trying! I recently made an amends to my former AA sponsor. She told me she thought I was going to die of alcoholism...that I was not ever going to get sober. But I never stopped trying. This last time (God willing), 15 months ago, I shut my mouth and did whatever my sponsor told me to do. Every time my head would tell me that this was crazy and I shouldn't be subject to such abuse from these AA loonies I would scream "Shut up! Shut up!" to my head. I just kept putting one foot in front of the other....and eventually I got somewhere. Sobriety is a road that goes somewhere. Don't stop trying1