OT: Overwhelmed with choices

Old 08-23-2016, 09:12 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

As a current school administrator, and former Special Ed teacher I vote for job 2! First, middle school and special Ed teachers need a certain gift, and sounds like you have it. Second, the way you describe the school atmosphere makes it sound like someplace you would fit right in.

Looking forward to hearing which position you choose. Also, congratulations on three offers, this is fantastic!
Old 08-23-2016, 09:13 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I think the flighty side comes from living with an addict. Never knowing what to expect, but always needing to be ready to make a plan to 'fix' something. I have never been able to get his opinion on life changes such as moving, purchasing something, job decisions, etc.

He is more of the variety of not giving a care in the world, because he is never financially responsible for it. He doesn't care about his credit, or trying to buy a house in the future, or even care about a career. As long as he has beer money, he is GOOD to GO. Literally, as long as he has beer (at 37 years old), he is cool.

I think mistakes are made. You learn from them. As many of us know, some mistakes take longer to recognize and are harder to deal with.

Last thought, I think with jobs and career, the best path is to do what you enjoy as much as you can, and to continue stepping up. Forward progression is what employers like to see. Get some experience under your belt, and you can always transition to something else. Experience is key.
Old 08-23-2016, 09:38 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Delilah1 View Post
As a current school administrator, and former Special Ed teacher I vote for job 2! First, middle school and special Ed teachers need a certain gift, and sounds like you have it. Second, the way you describe the school atmosphere makes it sound like someplace you would fit right in.

Looking forward to hearing which position you choose. Also, congratulations on three offers, this is fantastic!
Job #2 as I mentioned a bit later in the thread is in a district where the position is open bc of endless pink slips and unpredictable budgets... And I have been trying to get OUT of special ed and back into classroom teaching... Job #3 is an alt ed program in a public high school and so I would have the best of both-- working with at risk kids but also teaching... and it's a bit more stable a district...

So, unless I wake tomorrow feeling differently, I think it's apt to be Job #3
Old 08-23-2016, 09:43 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I'm going for job # 3. I understand that there is no bus pick up. I lived in an area like that. I think there are also other children walking or riding to the same school. Get to know them.

I also think that what ever decision you make will be the right one for you at this time, and if not, it appears that you qualify for many jobs. More power to you.

You're awesome!!!!!

(((((((((hugs))))))))))
amy
Old 08-23-2016, 09:44 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Oh I should add that this is my 18th year in teaching... I spent the first 9 in an urban district teaching at risk kids history and english... I LOVED it.

Then I married xAH and took whatever jobs kept me close to home, there for the girls once they were born and decent pay and benefits.

So, I applied for jobs that were OUT of my comfort zone (#1 and #3) bc I wanted and want to get back to where I began my career.

But oddly, now that I have that option, Im afraid of failing.

It would be easiest to take Job #2. It would be a breeze and I would do a good job at it. But it is my last choice. It is appealing bc there is less risk of my making errors or being something other than perfect at it.

And I think that is maybe the worst reason possible for me to take a job...

Sigh... Got to go to bed and think about this and hope for some clarity in the am.

I did do the math tallying of pros and cons and it was nearly a tie between 2 &3 with 3 just eeking out 2...
Old 08-23-2016, 09:46 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Amy - I was thinking that too. Make friends with some of the kids parents in the neighborhood. Maybe get the kid a tracking beacon of some sort so you can tell when she leaves the house.

I work for an alarm company and there are fairly cheap devices where you can live stream to your phone. You can set an alert to go off for instance when the front door opens and the kids leave. Watching from afar.
Old 08-26-2016, 04:32 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I took job #2.... leaving DD8 home alone for much of this week testing out the commute for #3 to go to new teacher meetings was hellish... It is not a doable drive twice a day...

So, the wisdom of the group and sensing that I would choose #2, seems to have been spot on!
Old 08-26-2016, 04:59 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Well, sounds like you made the best decision for you for right now. Jobs like #3 will be around when your daughter is a bit older and logistics less complicated.

You feel good about it?
Old 08-26-2016, 05:21 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LexieCat View Post
Well, sounds like you made the best decision for you for right now. Jobs like #3 will be around when your daughter is a bit older and logistics less complicated.

You feel good about it?
I feel sad that I am not actually able to choose a job at this point in time in my life, that is what I truly want to do...

Commuting distance and salary unfortunately have to factor in.

It almost hurts more to have had it this close and seen that I could have jobs 1 and 3 and have to pass them up-- but Im having to be a grown up and a mom first and a person concerned with just myself and my wants second...

So I feel ok- but Im very sad. If that makes any sense.
Old 08-28-2016, 05:01 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by wanttobehealthy View Post
I feel sad that I am not actually able to choose a job at this point in time in my life, that is what I truly want to do...

Commuting distance and salary unfortunately have to factor in.

It almost hurts more to have had it this close and seen that I could have jobs 1 and 3 and have to pass them up-- but Im having to be a grown up and a mom first and a person concerned with just myself and my wants second...

So I feel ok- but Im very sad. If that makes any sense.
I certainly understand, and think you made the right decision for now.

I would look into moving where there is bus pick up. That way you don't have to worry about the girls walking in the morning. Obviously, not something to worry about now - but if #3 is your goal, and you will always have the same issue about mornings, then its worth thinking about a move to have the freedom to choose the job that best suits you.
Old 08-28-2016, 05:14 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  
A work in progress

The unfortunate fact is that when you've got young kids, you can't just follow your dreams--at least not as easily as when you have to be concerned only about yourself. They won't be little forever. And you won't be stuck in this job forever, either.

You never know, this job may lead to other opportunities down the line that aren't apparent right now. Even if it's simply doing a great job for someone who will give you a glowing reference when you're ready to move on.

When do you start?
Old 08-28-2016, 09:43 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Nata1980 View Post
This is where math comes in handy.

Make a table, rows for job characteristics in order of importance (pay, children's safety, commute, interest level, job security, what have you). Assign multipliers to each category (children's safety could be 1.5, pay 1.3, commute 1.2, job security 0.8) - depending on importance/weight
Jobs 1, 2, 3 will be in columns. Rate each category for all three jobs as 1,2, or 3, times importance multiplier. I.e best paying job #2 will earn 3 * 1.3. Job #3 will earn 1*1.5 in child safety, Job #2 will be 3*1.5

Add all of your ratings for each job. Whatever ends up higher - wins.

or you could simplify it with just writing out pros and cons and ranking them.

I am with Anvil - 8 is young and I am an overprotective hovering freak of a parent - so that would eliminate #3 for me. I would assign multiplier of 5 to that category.

I vote for #2 - special education teaching jobs change lives
I agree with this, especially when there are several parts to the already numerous options. It helps me lay it all out and look at it at once instead of trying to weigh everything in my head.

I also have difficulty making decisions these days, because I no longer trust my abilities due to past mistakes. It's something I'm currently working on, because I didn't use to be this way. Good luck to you.