Notices

concert thursday.

Old 08-25-2016, 04:05 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Lots of great advice and concern in here. But just from my very recent personal experience: I just went to 2 wrestling events over the weekend (NXT pay per view and Monday Night RAW) at the Barclay's Center. That was less than 2 weeks into my recovery. Now, granted, I was with my husband that doesn't drink at all, so that took some pressure off... but these were events that were rife with alcohol everywhere, and almost everyone had a beer in hand. It wasn't as tough as I thought it was going to be. And, as stated by other posters, I'm sure I had a much better time than I normally would, because I was totally cohesive for the whole thing.

I'm not sure why there's a stigma about telling your friends you've stopped drinking. No need to admit to being an alcoholic, but making up stories about the reason you're not drinking *that* night to your friends doesn't make sense to me. You just have to make something up the next time you go out with them. Could always say you need to watch your health... it's the truth, without having to say anything overly personal that you don't want them to know unless you want them to. I've only told a few of my closest friends the extent of my problem, and it's been a huge relief. But yeah, it's not something I would go announcing to the world, or creating Facebook statuses about or anything...
Old 08-25-2016, 04:22 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

I went to a friend's party at a hotel (pub/bar) with just a couple of weeks' sobriety to my name. My friend knew I wouldn't be drinking - I'd been sure to tell her why. I made myself the designated driver. Mr Floss was there to hold me accountable. And I had a get-out plan - leave early to get dinner. Those things being planned in advance worked for me. I walked away sober and was glad to have shown my face there. But! (And it's a big but.) I'm not really a hotel drinker. I'm a stay-at-home with a bottle (or two) of wine drinker. And that's the reason that I've still not had a friend over; it would be too hard, too much of a test. So I guess I'm saying how much of a trigger the situation is for you might play a part in how successfully you're able to navigate it. Personally, I didn't feel I was testing myself by not drinking being out - I could do the designated driver thing while I was still drinking, so doing it not drinking wasn't really an issue for me. I would be testing myself if I was at home with wine. And that's not a test I'm prepared to take. Good luck to you.
Old 08-25-2016, 05:06 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  
quat

For me, I think you got it right in your OP when you said no one(I' add no thing,too) can make you drink besides yourself.
You have decided you don't drink, that is awesome , don't change your mind either. I'm sure you realize going in that you will most likely have some thoughts and feelings during the concert that may be uncomfortable(it is also entirely possible you won't), just put them in the category of' not being able to make you' , there are just feelings and are 'get -throughable' and will pass.
Enjoy the concert , the AV is only one that wants to view it as a test, with a possibility of failure, decide before you go that it is not a test that there is no possibility of failing, you don't drink . It can be as difficult a test as you make it, or it can be going to a show and not drinking , because you don't drink.
Good luck , I hope you enjoy it and even if Tony, Geezer and Ozzy stop in the middle of a set and chant " cmon FMS, one last time", just smile ans shrug and say' "nah, thx anyway guys, I Don't drink, just keep playing"
You can do it, of course you can , you said it yourself, just believe it too
Old 08-25-2016, 01:13 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  
saoutchik

I hope everything goes well tonight FYMS and you have a great sober time
Old 08-26-2016, 05:16 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Hope it all went well yesterday!

P
Old 08-26-2016, 06:38 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Was thinking about this, hoping for a positive check in.
Old 08-27-2016, 06:17 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  
saoutchik

How are you doing FYMS?
Old 08-28-2016, 03:25 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Also waiting hear how things went.
Old 08-28-2016, 06:05 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

SR people ignore failure and reward success. It is the nature of this community