Notices

43 days

Old 07-27-2016, 10:28 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

43 days

today is 43 consecutive days without alcohol which I have never done in 20 years of heavy drinking.

As I have said towards the end of April I started to turn the tap off but I did have a few slip and slides in between then and now but nothing for 43 days. Hallelujah.

I just wanted to share. It hasn't all been easy or fun but it is quite amazing to feel like I have reclaimed my life, the good, the bad and the ugly.

There is a whole lot less ugly now.

Thank you God and friends on SR!
Old 07-27-2016, 10:43 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Do your best

Serious congratulations Daisy excellent job on day 43
Old 07-27-2016, 10:57 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you Soberwolf. It is hard not to cry when I really think about it. I spent many years in absolute hell and I thought I would probably never be better until I was dead. To me that seemed the only escape, the desire to drink was so strong and seemed insurmountable.

I am not sure exactly what changed. I have spent many, many years praying even when I did not think my prayers were being answered, however I now believe that God does not always work in the time frame that we think He should and that we must first have a true and sincere desire to stop drinking before the rest can fall into place.

Of course there are many non-believers who have also quit. We all have our own toolbox.

It has not been all puppies and rainbows of course. The two biggest difficulties I have had is learning to express feelings in an adult and rational manner and also have been very fuzzy headed, distracted, forgetful...but these are easy compared to dealing with active alcoholism.

I have told myself that drinking is off the table no matter what. So I might let myself eat too much ice cream or stay up too late doing something i enjoy as long as I do not pick up.

Lots of people pick up with the idea that they can control drinking after a period of sobriety, which I have also done, but the problem is that re-awakens the beast and lots of times it will come back even worse than it was before. I am terrified of that.

Any way want to thank you and the other folks on here for the support and also for sharing your own stories and wisdom which has also helped a lot.
Old 07-27-2016, 11:02 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Daisyforever View Post

There is a whole lot less ugly now.
I love that!! And it is so true- what a great feeling. Great job- look forward to seeing you post more days as they add up.
Old 07-27-2016, 11:13 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Old 07-27-2016, 12:08 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Congratulations, Daisyforever. Keep building those sober days.

Sobriety gets better and better and better.
Old 07-27-2016, 12:56 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Here and now

Congrats! Keep it up, you got this.
Old 07-27-2016, 01:41 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Do your best

Old 07-27-2016, 01:53 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Congrats on 43 days sober!
Old 07-27-2016, 02:08 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

great job!! Keep it going and these days will keep adding up to months and years!
Old 07-27-2016, 02:09 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

What are some of the things you did that helped the most? Oh and congrats! That is awesome! I'm going on day 24 so I have something to be hopeful about
Old 07-27-2016, 03:10 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Congratulations, I am working on a month of true sobriety, 3 months with one slip.
Old 07-27-2016, 03:32 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Congratulations Daisy!
Old 07-27-2016, 04:49 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hello Linz and congratulations on 24 days! I don’t have this all figured out by any means, still have a ways to go but…for what it’s worth I do not mind at all sharing what has helped me get to this point.

Daily prayer, gratitude and reading the experience and wisdom of SR.
Remembering why I quit and what I can expect if I go back to drinking again.

Accepting that I am an alcoholic and cannot drink in moderation. Just taking that option completely off the table. I know my next low would likely be lower than my last low, and I don't know if I let alone anyone else would survive that. Would rather not find out.

It helps a lot to have something to look forward to at the end of the day. Sobriety does not have to be all about depression, boredom and deprivation. I make it a point to truly ENJOY THIS TIME. Think of it as an extended spa stay you are giving yourself, it is time to be pampered instead of self destructing.

More importantly it is a time to heal and reconnect with the things we used to like to do before drinking took over. I have been reading lots and also catching up on some TV series that I have missed over the years because I was too blacked out to remember them. I missed a lot of good stuff and am very much enjoying getting caught up.

I have allowed myself to indulge some on the sweets which I never did before. This has impeded by massive weight loss I thought I’d have by now (ha ha) but that is ok, I will work on weight loss once I get in some more sober time.

With that in mind I have found it helps to make myself tired, especially if I am having a rough day. Take a vigorous walk or clean something.

I do realize there is lots of work spiritually and emotionally to be done and to tell you the truth I am still trying to navigate my way through that, this is where I think face to face meetings, counseling and SR can really help.

Avoid people, places and things that cause triggers. I know we can't realistically do this all the time but protect yourself and your sobriety as much as you can. It is ok to say no. It is ok to allow yourself time to recover.

Every day I take a good look at myself and note improvements inside and out, of which there are many. I am a woman and I am vain and as such it has been a real boost to not have the puffy red face and bloodshot eyes every day and to finally be able to see people and not be ashamed of how far I have deteriorated, I am now headed back the opposite direction, look forward to family events because I look and feel better, yippee‼

You will not always feel like it but whenever it gets rough remember this sober time is precious, it is essential, it is the blocks on which we rebuild ourselves. I am not sure what your drinking history is but if you are an alcoholic you likely have years to make up to yourself, body and soul. I know I do! Try to see not drinking as something positive, because it is! It is by far the best gift you can give to yourself and those who love you.

Linz I am no expert yet by any means, we both have a ways to go but I hope at least something on my rambling list will help you, I probably could have articulated these things better but truly, simply and in a nutshell, stay focused on the positive, avoid the negative, and don’t pick up, not even once. That is the gist of it thus far
Old 07-27-2016, 05:09 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

Great progress Daisyforever - well done

D
Old 07-27-2016, 05:18 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

Accepting that I am an alcoholic and cannot drink in moderation. Just taking that option completely off the table.
That's what worked for me. Once that was fully accepted my mind began to find healthy ways to get through the day.

Congratulations on how far you've come, Daisy!
Old 07-27-2016, 05:29 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Hi Daisy,

Congratulations on 43 days, it sounds like you are very resolute in your decision to remain sober! This site has been my biggest support, reading and posting has helped me stay sober for almost seven months.

Keep up the great work!
Old 07-27-2016, 05:58 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Great job, that's awesome for you!
Old 07-27-2016, 06:15 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Hello Linz and congratulations on 24 days! I don’t have this all figured out by any means, still have a ways to go but…for what it’s worth I do not mind at all sharing what has helped me get to this point.

Daily prayer, gratitude and reading the experience and wisdom of SR.
Remembering why I quit and what I can expect if I go back to drinking again.

Accepting that I am an alcoholic and cannot drink in moderation. Just taking that option completely off the table. I know my next low would likely be lower than my last low, and I don't know if I let alone anyone else would survive that. Would rather not find out.

It helps a lot to have something to look forward to at the end of the day. Sobriety does not have to be all about depression, boredom and deprivation. I make it a point to truly ENJOY THIS TIME. Think of it as an extended spa stay you are giving yourself, it is time to be pampered instead of self destructing.

More importantly it is a time to heal and reconnect with the things we used to like to do before drinking took over. I have been reading lots and also catching up on some TV series that I have missed over the years because I was too blacked out to remember them. I missed a lot of good stuff and am very much enjoying getting caught up.

I have allowed myself to indulge some on the sweets which I never did before. This has impeded by massive weight loss I thought I’d have by now (ha ha) but that is ok, I will work on weight loss once I get in some more sober time.

With that in mind I have found it helps to make myself tired, especially if I am having a rough day. Take a vigorous walk or clean something.

I do realize there is lots of work spiritually and emotionally to be done and to tell you the truth I am still trying to navigate my way through that, this is where I think face to face meetings, counseling and SR can really help.

Avoid people, places and things that cause triggers. I know we can't realistically do this all the time but protect yourself and your sobriety as much as you can. It is ok to say no. It is ok to allow yourself time to recover.

Every day I take a good look at myself and note improvements inside and out, of which there are many. I am a woman and I am vain and as such it has been a real boost to not have the puffy red face and bloodshot eyes every day and to finally be able to see people and not be ashamed of how far I have deteriorated, I am now headed back the opposite direction, look forward to family events because I look and feel better, yippee‼

You will not always feel like it but whenever it gets rough remember this sober time is precious, it is essential, it is the blocks on which we rebuild ourselves. I am not sure what your drinking history is but if you are an alcoholic you likely have years to make up to yourself, body and soul. I know I do! Try to see not drinking as something positive, because it is! It is by far the best gift you can give to yourself and those who love you.

Linz I am no expert yet by any means, we both have a ways to go but I hope at least something on my rambling list will help you, I probably could have articulated these things better but truly, simply and in a nutshell, stay focused on the positive, avoid the negative, and don’t pick up, not even once. That is the gist of it thus far
i figured you would still have a good understanding of what it's like to be nearly new in sobriety and what tips to take from you and the great thing is most of those things you list are exactly what I have been doing and it's been working for me, especially the sweets part. Ha I never was a sweets kind of girl except for the last few weeks and I am ok with that!! Thank you for responding!
Old 07-27-2016, 06:21 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Great job on your sobriety .