Notices

I'm brand new and a little unsure of this.

Old 07-26-2016, 10:51 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
now's the time

To those uncertain, it is possible to drink on Antabuse. I haven't done it but in treatment I met several people who had. It's a tolerance that has to be built up very, very slowly over time. But after a few months these people reported being able to drink enough to feel a buzz without vomiting or etc.

Which Ginny, I think backs up BerryBean's point about trying to extricate yourself from being the chaperone if possible... it definitely takes a "I'm going to get away with it" mindset to train yourself to drink on Antabuse. People who do it are generally those who are being forced to quit against their will. That being the case it does sound like good advice to let him come face to face with the fact that he needs to quit for himself. If he's deluding himself that it's only for your and the kids' sake, then in his mind as long as you don't know it's OK. He's got to break through that denial.

I am so sorry for you and your family. I hope that he is able to confront this and take his own safety seriously. I made myself very, very sick and I understand how hard it can be to do that when you're addicted. I do think there's hope for all of us, though. Becoming sick was ultimately what got me sober, I hope that your husband takes the warning too.
Old 07-28-2016, 07:00 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Thank you.
It's so odd because I only found SR by googling Antabuse and ability to drink on it...
I have 100% tried to control his sobriety. I thought I was meant to do that. In these last few days I feel a tremendous relief and I can only attribute it to letting go of the reins, so to speak.
Old 07-28-2016, 11:50 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

So glad you're feeling some relief Ginny.

Do you think he's noticed a change in dynamics?
Old 07-29-2016, 06:02 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Thank you, Berrybean. Oh yes, has he ever.
Old 07-29-2016, 06:32 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Originally Posted by GinnyV View Post
Thank you.
It's so odd because I only found SR by googling Antabuse and ability to drink on it...
I have 100% tried to control his sobriety. I thought I was meant to do that. In these last few days I feel a tremendous relief and I can only attribute it to letting go of the reins, so to speak.
Many find Al-anon helpful - spouses and family members. Hope you will consider getting the help you deserve.......
Old 07-29-2016, 08:26 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by GinnyV View Post
Thank you, Berrybean. Oh yes, has he ever.
???

How is that working out? Sorry, but I'm very curious. (Nosey).
Old 07-29-2016, 05:35 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Ha!
He went from stating that he did not want me involved with his plan and now he has been texting me dates and name of facilities and contacts. I've not responded to those texts.