Notices

brand new to here and recovery

Old 07-25-2016, 06:20 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Taylor

brand new to here and recovery

Hey all. I am new here too and not sure whether I am an alcoholic honestly, but my drinking has been a problem in the past and has been a problem again recently.
I don't drink daily, sometimes not even for weeks, but when I do I sometimes drink socially and appropriately, and other times I start feeling buzzed and then I keep going and can't stop.
Lately that has been happening twice weekly or more, and has led to blackouts, arguments, worsening my depression, having to leave work because of hangover, and health consequences since it flares my fibromyalgia and also interacts with some of the medications I take.
I made a decision to quit drinking 4 days ago. And I don't know how long it will last.
I go to therapy and have talked about my "past alcohol issues," because back then it was obvious...I drank every day, large amounts, always blacking out, legal problems, financial problems, work problems, serious health problems...
I now am addressing my current problems and it's really scary.
Thanks for letting my share.
Old 07-25-2016, 06:26 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Try not to be scared, we're all on this same journey together! So Hi! it's nice to meet you.I'm happy that you bounced back from this first health problems but it seems like you may be on the road again to drinking, just like I was. I was successful for over a year and then I got hit with the addiction again. I'm only one day in, so tomorrow will be my first day going into work not feeling hungover for the first time in forever, so I'm proud for that. I'm physically disabled and used the excuse that when I drink I didn't have any pain, but that's not true, it was a lie I told myself. Hope you can relate to some of this. It's nice to meet you. We'll do this together!
Old 07-25-2016, 06:27 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome to SR, tshan! It's great to have you with us.

This is a good place to talk things over with people who understand. I once drank the way you describe, but I did nothing about it. As a result, I kept drinking, and tried to use willpower to manage it. Later in life I found myself drinking every day, totally dependent on it. It isn't how often you drink, but what it does to you when you do. If you have a problem stopping or controlling what happens when you drink - that's a good reason to be concerned.
Old 07-25-2016, 06:35 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

It hurt to admit I had a 'problem' with drinking. But after getting sober for a while, I now see how bad I was. I didn't think I could do it, but I did, and have been sober well over six years and never been happier in my life.
Old 07-25-2016, 06:45 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Taylor

wow thanks everyone. I never thought I would get such great responses and so soon.

I really appreciate it.

It is all very helpful and encouraging.
Old 07-25-2016, 06:48 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR!!
Old 07-25-2016, 06:56 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi tshan83

Welcome
Old 07-25-2016, 07:22 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hello and Welcome.
Old 07-25-2016, 07:51 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

We are all right there with you, bud. Good for you to work on it. Keep it up!
Old 07-25-2016, 09:09 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Tshan,

PostING here is like a journal. It is good for us.

I prefer to call myself an addict ..14 months sober now...

An Addict is a person that physically and mentally needs a substance. I desire to drink alcohol. Even though it wrecks me. I still desire to drink it. I am addicted.

If you ever get nervous for a drink...can't wait to get a drink in you...you are addicted.

The are levels of addiction......Not really sure I am qualified to categorize them...but there are...

So.....Alcoholic is a medical term meaning addicted to alcohol.

Stay clean. Booze is poison for us addicts.
Old 07-25-2016, 09:24 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hello and welcome.

I was a binger too and it got worse as time went on. I could go weeks or month but when I started it was on.

Have you heard of a plan? That has really helped me.

Use this place for support. It has really changed my life.
Old 07-26-2016, 01:29 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome Tshan
Old 07-26-2016, 03:11 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome Tshan
Try not to worry too much about the label...you're obviously here because you have a problem - we can help you with that

D
Old 07-26-2016, 03:27 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

What are you prepared to do Tshan in order to get well?

If you are an alcoholic of my type, there is a very definite pathology and prognosis. Unless you can abstain completely, things will only get worse.

Have a look at the record.Have things been getting better, staying the same or getting worse? Is there any reason to believe it will be different next time? Think baout his honestly and it might help you decide what you need to do.
Old 07-26-2016, 03:45 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Glad you made it here. There is some great support and advice on this forum.

I'd suggest you start reading about and making your own plan for sobriety. Just removing the alcohol without adopting any new ways of dealing with stuff is generally unsustainable and very painful. This thread is a great place to start... http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...y-plans-2.html
Old 07-26-2016, 06:19 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hi Tshan!
I'm pretty new too, and it was scary at first. So reaching out like you have is a pretty big deal, I think.
Very wise to ask for help before things get harder to manage on your own. You'll find plenty of acceptance and support here.

Stay well
Old 07-26-2016, 07:41 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Taylor

Thanks again everyone!!!
I will look into the plan.
I really don't have one. Other than what I've been telling others is that I've taken a month off of drinking. I don't know what bothers me more right now...the thought of never drinking again or the social stigma or pressure I will feel from my peers of being "that guy" not drinking.

And as far as things getting "worse," they've been much worse in the past. I pretty much spent an entire year drunk in 2006-2007. But what's happening now is how that started. And I've been through enough therapy and "growing up" to see it now. I also have a lot more to lose now - a marriage, career, house, great friends, my health is poor, etc.

Once again, thanks.
Old 07-26-2016, 08:11 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Welcome, tshan! You're not alone!