Notices
View Poll Results: Which area of your life improved the fastest once you began your recovery?
Emotional/psychological
33.72%
Physical
52.33%
Social
1.16%
Spiritual
12.79%
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll

My Journey Begins

Old 07-21-2016, 05:22 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Michelle644 View Post
OMG, your post was like reading my life story. I am also an older Mom. I had my Daughter when I was 44 she is now 8 and I also have a love/hate relationship with Merlot. I have not stopped yet but, will be when we get back from vacation next week. Maybe, we can help each other kick Merlot out of our lifes together. Oh, yeah. I also gained LOTS of weight 30+ pounds plus a puffy face, swollen eyes....it's just not worth it. Good luck to you. Your Son is going to be so proud of you. Way to go.
Michelle644
I hope we can inspire and support each other. I am here and would love to connect after your trip as you begin your journey. IT makes me feel so much more "normal" and much less alone and isolated to know that someone else can relate to,or see their story in, mine. Many people around me cannot understand my life and how I experienced so much pain and fractured relationships. I am /QUITE sure my relationship with wine (aside from my kids) is the closest and most intimate relationship I have had thus far in my life. I want to change that!
I'm rambling again...thanks to all!
Old 07-21-2016, 05:31 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Oswin View Post
I can relate to you as I've been drinking on and off all through my children's life. I am 40 and they are now 13 and 11. I had 3 people I would turn in to when drunk, fun mum who would dance around be silly, let them get away with stuff like staying up late or eating junk. Then there was screaming and argue with daddy mum and finally past out or non functioning mum. Non of these I am proud of. My kids have turned out well so far but I'm sure at some point my drinking is going to come back and bite me in the arse with however it has messed them up. We are finally waking up to the fact that it's not just effecting us and our health but also our families and friends. We can beat this
WOW!! Those are exactly the three moms that I would turn into....although thankfully the angry yelling at a partner (in my case boyfriends) mom...has been on hiatus since I kicked my daughter's dad out for good during my pregnancy with her. A disclaimer with respect to that-It was something I had to do -and was able to find the strength to do so due in large part for me having been sober by then for about 5 months. It was a toxic relationship that I likely would have avoided or ended ASAP had I not been actively drinking to avoid dealing with the situation.
THat partner shamed me on a nightly basis with respect to my drinking and ran me down as much as possible so that I felt so low -all I wanted to do was keep drinking. Finally now, 2 years later, that partner has been convicted of criminally harassing and threatening to kill me, I am able to put the past behind me, and deal with my drinking.

Sorry Oswin- I went off on a pity party rant ....
I wanted to say to you that perhaps your "arse" will not get bitten later on.
You are now healing and strenthening your relationship with your kids. Kids are so resiliant and forgiving and our brains are always growing and rewiring. I think you are going to be fine and so will your arse!! LOL
Thanks so much for your response. It is helping me to know there are other moms out there who have made mistakes and are learning and growing from them!!
Old 07-22-2016, 01:24 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LotusChild View Post
WOW!! Those are exactly the three moms that I would turn into....although thankfully the angry yelling at a partner (in my case boyfriends) mom...has been on hiatus since I kicked my daughter's dad out for good during my pregnancy with her. A disclaimer with respect to that-It was something I had to do -and was able to find the strength to do so due in large part for me having been sober by then for about 5 months. It was a toxic relationship that I likely would have avoided or ended ASAP had I not been actively drinking to avoid dealing with the situation.
THat partner shamed me on a nightly basis with respect to my drinking and ran me down as much as possible so that I felt so low -all I wanted to do was keep drinking. Finally now, 2 years later, that partner has been convicted of criminally harassing and threatening to kill me, I am able to put the past behind me, and deal with my drinking.

Sorry Oswin- I went off on a pity party rant ....
I wanted to say to you that perhaps your "arse" will not get bitten later on.
You are now healing and strenthening your relationship with your kids. Kids are so resiliant and forgiving and our brains are always growing and rewiring. I think you are going to be fine and so will your arse!! LOL
Thanks so much for your response. It is helping me to know there are other moms out there who have made mistakes and are learning and growing from them!!
Not a pity party it's good to know others stories and to see how they are turning their lives around. Thanks for what you said with regards to kids being resilient. I hope your right. I agree that knowing there are other people that we can relate too is a huge help!
Old 07-22-2016, 05:27 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Michelle644
I hope we can inspire and support each other. I am here and would love to connect after your trip as you begin your journey. IT makes me feel so much more "normal" and much less alone and isolated to know that someone else can relate to,or see their story in, mine. Many people around me cannot understand my life and how I experienced so much pain and fractured relationships. I am /QUITE sure my relationship with wine (aside from my kids) is the closest and most intimate relationship I have had thus far in my life. I want to change that!
I'm rambling again...thanks to all!
Your not rambling. Your speaking (ok typing) to people that are like you and who understand, we have all made an a$$ out of ourselves and have felt isolated and the feeling of being defeated. I have also lost a lot of good friends because of Merlot. I would (do) get on the phone and lord knows what I say then, the next day I feel bad and I lost a friend or where they friends to begin with? Anyways, I look forward to starting my new and improved life with you. Congrats on 3 days stay strong!!!
Old 07-24-2016, 07:00 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Michelle644
YOU ROCK!!
YES lets start a new life together...but apart LOL!!!
I now realize I need to make more changes than just not buying/drinking wine.
I need to get rid of cable TV (huge trigger/pattern) and as someone has as a quote that i just read on this site-I need to get busy LIVING!!!
Old 07-29-2016, 09:04 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Michelle644
YOU ROCK!!
YES lets start a new life together...but apart LOL!!!
I now realize I need to make more changes than just not buying/drinking wine.
I need to get rid of cable TV (huge trigger/pattern) and as someone has as a quote that i just read on this site-I need to get busy LIVING!!!
LotusChild...let's do it!! I am starting Monday. I've even marked on my calendar. I am going to have a plan (write it down today and tomorrow) for my bewitching hours, for me it's between 5 and 8. Let's start living sober sister!!!
Old 07-29-2016, 08:42 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Choosing Life

Improvements for me were all of those within a matter of days. Thereafter, some got stronger ... mostly the physical and emotional. As my head cleared and my body felt better, the spiritual began to take hold. The social part is still developing as I learn more about myself, my needs, my plans for the future, etc.
Old 08-03-2016, 02:59 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
A Smart Bug is a Sober Bug!

I voted spiritual because I went to rehab a defiant agnostic and left a believer. Never saw that coming.
Old 08-04-2016, 03:07 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Four decades of abuse takes time to heal, but the embers of my spirit glowed brightly almost immediately. I believe this was affirmation I had chosen the correct path. Without that, I would have been doomed.
Old 08-05-2016, 05:32 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Well said Fly N Buy. I totally GET what you are saying and I can agree fully.
Thanks for your response and for sharing!