Made an appt with a Psychiatrist

Old 07-01-2016, 04:21 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Made an appt with a Psychiatrist

Hi guys... So I made an appt on Monday to see a Psychiatrist. It is humbling. I am nervous. I think I need all the help I can get. Alanon...my sponsor... Has anyone on here temporarily taken anything for anxiety or depression during a breakup with an exAB or exAW or exAH... ? Just curious. I just had a anxiety attack and I think it is from all of this chaos... I was depressed yesterday and I feel like I can't get out of the fog. It has only been 2 weeks so I am unsure of what to do.. any advice would be helpful... thank you
Old 07-01-2016, 04:39 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
A work in progress

You've made the appointment, I'd suggest seeing what the doctor suggests.

Anyone on this forum who IS a medical professional (and, of course, most of us aren't) wouldn't give you advice without seeing you.
Old 07-01-2016, 04:41 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Kaya...trust the doctor.
dandylion
Old 07-01-2016, 04:46 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Kaya,

Just wanted to let you know I'm thinking of you and sending you a big hug.

With regards medication following a break up, I've never used any but I do occasionally take propranolol (a beta blocker) for anxiety and I know a few people who take it to help with panic attacks. Perhaps ask about them at your appointment?

I've been offered anti-depressants by my doctor on a number of occasions but have refused them. The way I look at it is my depression (and probably yours) is mainly situational so a tablet won't fix it but for some reason I view the propranolol differently as it can be an as an when medication and I find it so subtle. I ABHOR job interviews and get so so nervous that I just want to run away, took one before my last interview and within 10 minutes I felt better and had forgotten I'd taken it as I've never noticed any negative side effects. You just kinda feel a bit more relaxed.

That's just my view on things, I hope it helps some but I'm sure others will be able to offer you a lot more support and advice.
Old 07-01-2016, 05:22 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hugs Kayla. I am 2 weeks out as well from leaving my Abf. It is so hard, and I was thinking today of getting some counseling myself. I agree the depression is difficult but probably situational. I'd let your medical professional assess you and go from there.
Old 07-01-2016, 05:37 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

A great psychiatrist can be an amazing person in your corner. Mine is awesome and is a key part of my ongoing recovery. We work closely on my meds, and I have a maintenance rx for an anxiety med (lorazepam) as well as a sleep med (seroquel) that I take nightly. I strongly suggest you consider what your best course of treatment is- by being honest with your new pysch, you can figure it out!

I have seen psychs for years so it isn't new to me- I can imagine it is a big step for you (I do remember the first I saw and had no idea what to expect, nervous for sure!).

I think it's great that you are working with lots of experts to be well. Good luck!!
Old 07-01-2016, 08:21 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I'm so glad you are seeing a doc LK. I have had a few friends who went on something temporarily after going through a nasty breakup. It is just one more wagon to add to the circle at this difficult time.

I hope he/she is helpful!
Old 07-01-2016, 09:01 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LovelyKaya33333 View Post
Hi guys... So I made an appt on Monday to see a Psychiatrist. It is humbling. I am nervous. I think I need all the help I can get. Alanon...my sponsor... Has anyone on here temporarily taken anything for anxiety or depression during a breakup with an exAB or exAW or exAH... ? Just curious. I just had a anxiety attack and I think it is from all of this chaos... I was depressed yesterday and I feel like I can't get out of the fog. It has only been 2 weeks so I am unsure of what to do.. any advice would be helpful... thank you
I deal with stress by trying to be physically active and get my concentration and focus on something positive...so I try to do things I really enjoy like outdoorsy stuff and music and reading. There are a TON of good books out there, so a trip to the library or bookstore might suit you if you like books. If all else fails, GO SHOPPING! No, seriously, maybe you'd like a few new clothes to wear as you are going through this big change. Treat yourself somehow and don't feel guilty about it. Put yourself first.

I am in favor of therapeutic meds to help if one is having trouble coping. Anxiety attacks are not fun! I'm glad you made an appt. That's a big step to take. good job!
Old 07-02-2016, 04:39 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Hello Kaya,

I've been an AD's for short courses on two occasions in my life. The first was years and years ago when I found out my ex had been unfaithful and was divorcing me. I did not have any problem tolerating the medicine, and getting back off the meds was not a problem for me either.

Good luck with your appointment!! Your doctor will be able to advise you about whether or not he or she feels your are a candidate for medication.
Old 07-02-2016, 05:03 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Kaya,
I went on meds for about two months during break up and divorce. I didn't really feel any difference, but that was me.

The only thing that truly helped me, was going to 2 alanon meetings and 2 open aa meeting a week plus SR every night for 10 solid months. I was pretty sick and these people understood the hell I was living. I was seeing a therapist weekly for 3 solid months prior to going back to alanon full time, and she was helpful, but I needed more. I had to commit myself to my recovery and take care of me. That is when I started to slowly heal, after 34 years with axh.

Sending hugs to you my friend, you are on the right path.
Old 07-02-2016, 06:33 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Outside help is great and do what the doc says. Valerian tea helped me.