Notices

Weekends are hard

Old 05-28-2016, 04:57 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Weekends are hard

I have been sober a couple months. Been going to AA almost daily. It is what has helped me so much. Weekends are hard. Parenting is so hard. Marriage is hard. I feel depressed right now. Maybe it's the holiday weekend or needing a break. I just feel trapped. Urges yet when I play the tape forward I see nothing but pain. I hope it gets easier. Alcohol has caused such pain in my life. Taking away the alcohol you are still left with difficulties that are hard and no escape. Sorry to vent. On to a social get together where I will be the only one sober. Hooray! Can't isolate though and I know I will go but leave early and handle it.

Lilly
Old 05-28-2016, 05:07 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Lostlily, weekends are so hard, I agree. I think it does get easier, I'm almost 6 months and it's a bit easier to quiet the AV most times.

Sobriety hasn't fixed a lot in my life either, but I think it allows us to clearly see what really needs fixing. Sobriety has helped me feel better physically & mentally which sure makes life easier to manage.

Hang in there, you're not alone. The sober road isn't easy but I truly believe it is worth it.
Old 05-28-2016, 05:17 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Lilly -- weekends were hard for me at first, too. That first Saturday afternoon sober -- the evening ahead looked like a huge abyss. It does get easier with time, and sobriety makes it possible to work on our issues and make needed changes. It's not overnight magic but it does get better.

I feel for ya this saturday afternoon. I'm going to a restaurant tonight with a friend ... my first sober trip to this restaurant was so difficult, not ordering my usual glass of wine. Now it doesn't cross my mind, I'm just thinking about all the great szechuan food dishes there and what will I order.

hang in there.
Old 05-28-2016, 05:46 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

There's always folks here Lilly - stay close

D
Old 05-30-2016, 03:59 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Yes, you're right, everything is hard....but being sober makes it easier, after a while. At least for me. I don't have to contend with not remembering what I said or did the night before. There are no more hangovers or feeling like crap till 5 pm. The longer you go without drinking, the more you will appreciate these things. In the meantime, try to do things you used to enjoy before drinking became a hobby. Love your kids more. Do things for your husband. Pick up a hobby you've neglected. There is so much more to life than drinking it away. Take care.
Old 05-30-2016, 04:07 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

uncorked this is very true. I am on day 70 something, and I've noticed while I still feel "flat" and not particularly happy or connected to things, the daily tasks every responsible adult should do are far less irritating than they used to be.

That in and of itself feels good. Overall, I feel more "together" - I don't do things frantically and in a state of stress - I do them in an orderly fashion.
Old 05-30-2016, 04:10 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I too struggle at a weekend and when the kids are on school holidays, in sobriety Ive discovered that I don't like to much disruption to my routine, and of course having kids is hard work. I use kalms tablets at times like that just to help curb the anxiety and stress x x x