Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism-12 Step Support
Reload this Page >

The amazingly coincidental things that take place in sobriety

Notices

Old 05-28-2016, 04:39 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

or not...........meaning not coincidental.

Started back in AA and the day I picked up my white chip the person who won the raffle told me to choose a book. The recommendation was Sober Living. I've never read it. I went to a woman's meeting that Saturday and didn't read what the meeting type was. I get there and it's a Sober Living meeting where they read from that book.

Before I went back out I faithfully attended a meeting that took place up around the corner from my house at a church. The church was sold and deconsecrated. The meeting then moved to another church and I continued there until I went back out.

When I started back with AA at the beginning of this month I went in search of that same meeting and couldn't find it. The church it had been moved to no longer held meetings. So I gave up and found new ones.

Yesterday morning I'm on my way to the one of the new locations (I attend 3) and I stop for gas. Who do I see but a member that was in the meeting that I was looking for. He lives around here somewhere and I go to that gas station frequently. So does he. I never saw him there, not once, in the entire 19 months that I was out. He was there yesterday morning and I found out where the meeting is now. Going on Sunday at 7.

Coincidence? I think not. My higher power is paving the path for me. So full of gratefulness right now.
Old 05-28-2016, 06:19 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I love seeing those "God moments". :-)
Old 05-28-2016, 01:40 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
It`s ok to stay sober

someone told me once that a Coincidence is God`s way of staying anonymous
Old 05-28-2016, 05:02 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I too love my God Shots

D
Old 05-28-2016, 07:15 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LadyBlue0527 View Post
...Coincidence? I think not. My higher power is paving the path for me.
Coincidence, higher power, timing or just plain luck. I've had the breaks go both ways for me in sobriety. Today I try to keep the ups and downs in stride. When things go well as they are now I also realize there will be difficulties/problems down the road. That's life.

Emotional stability is the key for me. I try not to get to high when things (usually work related) break my way and by the same token try not too down when they don't. Especially when events are out of my control. I[ve learned a lot more about my sobriety during the years I was having serious (business) trouble than when life was running smooth.

Anyway... to be filled with gratitude is a good thing and when I hit bottom (business wise) not once did I forget my problems were of a quality nature. The thought of a drink never crossed my mind.

Which (and getting further off topic...) is a key component in my recovery: I've never forgotten where my life was when walked into the rooms of AA for the first time.
Old 05-28-2016, 08:34 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
~sb

A year into sobriety I received a letter, apparently my things that were in storage for 10+ years had not been auctioned, YET. I was able to retrieve personal items (yearbooks, pictures, other papers). Coincidence???
Old 05-29-2016, 05:56 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

Ok, I have to add this.

I went to the meeting tonight that I finally found. There's the member that I saw at the gas station that told me where it was located. Then, an older couple that I love. He's the alcoholic and she comes with him for support. I hug both of them and sit down next to her. I told them about how I found the meeting and how I knew it wasn't a coincidence. I then ask about another member who always used to chair our meeting. They said that they knew he was fine but they hadn't seen him in about two years.

Guess who walks in the door? We were all floored.

My Higher Power could not give me any more signs that I am exactly where I need to be. The AA family that I had walked away from is all coming back together. I found my home group already and I was sad that it wasn't together anymore.

Another God moment. I am truly blessed and grateful.
Old 05-29-2016, 06:56 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Originally Posted by Centered3 View Post
I love seeing those "God moments". :-)
I agree. Those are God Moments and I love them
Old 05-29-2016, 07:48 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

LadyBlue, The term given to these meaningful coincidences is synchronicity. The term was coined by Carl Jung (who also is also referred to in the chapter "There is a Solution" on page 26). Jung coined the term in the forward to the (first?) English translation of an ancient Chinese text called "The Secret of the Golden Flower". He later wrote "Synchronicity, an acasual connecting principle" after extensive collaboration on this concept with the Nobel prize wining physicist Wolfgang Pauli.

I have noticed synchronicities ever since I first became aware of the concept decades ago. When they occur in clusters (of three or more, or when two or more synchronicities are related to one other) I have noticed that they precede periods of great change in my personal life.

Here is an example of a synchronicity which took place right here on SR and involved this forum http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...l-ws-desk.html
Old 05-29-2016, 11:14 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

Sorry, I was mistaken. Jung introduced the term synchronicity in the forward to the translation of the I Ching, not the forward to The Secret of the Golden Flower. I'm not sure what I was thinking.
Old 05-30-2016, 02:34 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Is the glass half full or half empty?

Meaning is in the eye of the beholder.
Old 05-30-2016, 04:44 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

Awuh, thank you for that. After reading it I realized that I could add more to this entire event that led me back to AA.

Let's start with the fact that I had 17 months of sobriety under my belt and became complacent. I walked away from AA and this board removing all support that I had. It took me 19 months to come back and the order of events is pretty interesting, especially after reading about synchronicity (still prefer to refer to them as God moments but I would say the power behind is the same).

My parents rarely drank. I can attribute most of the good in me to what they both instilled as I was growing up. There were other factors involved that I believe contributed to my alcoholism. Awuh, with what you just posted I realized that there's far more to this pattern than I first realized. My mother died of ovarian cancer when I had just turned 16 and my father took over as both parents and he was the best. A very honorable man.

On Mother's Day I posted a picture of my mom on Facebook in memory of her. I made mention of the fact that all that I am is because of her. Later that day I was stupid and drove after drinking. I woke up in the county jail which led me back to AA. I had 17 months of sobriety under my belt and went back out in search of more trouble. I can't discuss all that happened but suffice it to say that no one died thankfully, but it could have happened. Who knows what the end of the road would have been if I didn't get that wake up call. I wouldn't say that my mother had anything to do with it rather the fact that if what happened didn't happen that day, something much worse down could have been coming down the road. I believe she was with me that day. When bailing myself out I had to sign a form of conditions. One of them was no use or contact with alcohol or any other substances. The sheriff was explaining it to me and told me to sign. I felt this wave come over me. I stood there looking at the words and he asked "Is there going to be a problem with that?". I looked up at him and said "On the contrary, I am relieved". I fully believe that at that very moment, and for the first time ever in my dealings with AA that I truly completed Step 1 for the first time. For the first time I felt to the core what it was like to completely give myself to the fact that I am powerless over alcohol. There will never be a safe amount of alcohol for me to ingest, ever.

I came back to AA on the next day, Monday. Where I had been sober 17 months I still had a lot of the tools and one was staying away from Facebook as I have friends whose daily goal is to post pictures of what they're drinking today. I couldn't care less about alcohol but I didn't even want to see pictures of it. I can't remember if it was the 3rd or 4th day but I was working from home and decided to pop onto Facebook for a moment. Any of you who know Facebook know that they now will show you posts that you did a year ago, a few, whatever and it's random. They call them "memories". I log in and there's my memory. A picture of my Dad in his Navy uniform. I needed to see that, I miss him so much and right now I would love to talk to him. Another God moment.

Take those with all the other moments that I've posted and there's no denying that the workings of the Universe are at play. My higher power has reached out and now it all makes sense as to why.

Starting this morning grateful for all your input in helping me to understand what's going on here.

I am working the steps with a sponsor and taking our time. However, I believe that Step 1 was completed when I signed that bail form and now, there's no denying Step 2. So grateful!
Old 05-30-2016, 07:59 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

awuh,
just to say i think you reversed two letters, and the word is 'acausal', instead of acasual. which is important, since the 'acausal' part makes it quite different from "god moment", also.
i read that book years ago; fascinating.
Old 05-30-2016, 02:36 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

Yes fini, "acausal", as in "without cause". (Was it my dyslexia or my reliance of spell check that resulted in using the wrong word ? )

Interesting that this concept is so seldom referenced (in western culture) that the spell check detects an error when an essential word to describe it is used.
Old 05-30-2016, 03:22 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

LadyBlue, you prefer to think of them as God moments? Ya, I'd have to agree. We get a glimpse of the transcendent with those experiences.
Old 05-30-2016, 03:25 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
dox
paradox

Yesterday this sort of thing happened to me twice leading up to the same event.
I won't go into the specifics now; it's too long-winded.
When I noticed the beginning of this sequence of events a word popped into my head:

kismet.

I saw it, like it is now printed on this screen.
I didn't know what it meant except that it had something to do with all of this.
It was apparent that I was meant to speak at that meeting,
a meeting that I very rarely attend.
After sharing about it at the meeting an hour later,
(where I 'knew' that I would be asked to speak as a last-minute replacement)
a wonderful woman told me that it means:

fate.

Now, that opens new possibilities.
Or, does it eliminate all of them?
Old 05-30-2016, 06:07 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

I think it could be a combination of all. I know that it's definitely spiritual in nature and that pleases me. Anything that pleases me and reinforces sobriety is a huge positive