Notices

A progressive illness

Old 05-27-2016, 12:21 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

A progressive illness

The big book is so true. Alcoholism is a progressive illness. For years I told myself that I drank due to being unhappy, due to stress blah blah blah. But life is great now. Or should be. I have everything I need or want to be content. It's been like this for a while, but my drinking has actually INCREASED. More than ever before. It scares me. It's seriously the only thing wrong we me at the moment. I feel so discouraged but want to give sobriety another go.
Old 05-27-2016, 12:29 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

yep, it sure is....

tricky part is we never seem to accept that for ourselves until we've been beaten down and beaten down and beaten down enough times to finally admit the progression for ourselves.

Sometimes, it can be helpful to sit down and write your "life story of booze and drugs". Write it out in every honest, gory detail. Try to put some milestones on there.... years, ages, events.....

Then, when it's ALL been dumped out.... every ugly shred of it, make a timeline of those events and summarize them.... and look at the arc of your drinking life from beginning to now.

Then you begin to see where you've been, how progression has already developed, and begin to imagine where it's headed.....

Old 05-27-2016, 02:28 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Well done for wanting to get sober . I am pretty comfortable materialistic wise . Have a good marriage and family and a reasonably decent job . Even if i win 10 million on the lottery tonight I cant drink alcohol .
Old 05-27-2016, 04:49 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back priceyjunk
do you have a plan?

D
Old 05-27-2016, 04:55 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

For us with drinking problems, its easy to drink as a result of any occasion. Things are going bad, drink. Things are going great, drink, and everything in between.

I see you joined in 2010 so you've been at this awhile?
Old 05-27-2016, 05:00 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Now is the time to quit. While things are going good.

Not to mention..... the health benefits of not drinking.

My body told me it was time............ and .... I am glad that I quit before any serious probs.
Old 05-27-2016, 05:21 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Yeah I joined back in 2010, managed to go over 100 days or something like that, then boom. Started posting again 2012, managed about a year, then fell flat on my face. Managed 90days again in 2014 but didn't post at the time.

Looks like I am on a 2 year cycle. But each relapse is really worse! I drink much more each time, or rather I hit a much higher level of consumption before I decide to give up.
Old 05-27-2016, 05:36 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

priceyjunk: your story of here, gone, back here, gone...it's mine, as well (and with my join date of 2006, I've been at it even longer.)

And worsening relapse experiences, increasing consumption up to mind-blowing levels...that's what got me right where you are now, back again and determined that I can never return to that cycle; the progression was too obvious to ignore, and I was headed for an early, ugly death.

I highly recommend more posting; it's really helping me (at 19 days) stay focused, grounded, accountable to myself and others, and so fully supported and encouraged by the good people here. It's making a difference this time.

Everyone here has your back; you know this from previous visits. I hope you'll hang out and share your progress; you'll get tons of caring replies, of that I have no doubt...best wishes, Arp
Old 05-27-2016, 05:52 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

Why not just call it an addiction to a substance we develop a tolerance to? There are lots of substances like that, like heroin, cocaine, methamphetamine for example, and lots of experiences we tend to treat the same way. We become dependent on it, and we need more of it for the same buzz as time goes on. After a while, we need it just to feel normal.

It seems to explain the experience of many of us, it does mine, anyway. And it's a simple explanation too. I prefer simple. For me, it meant the solution was simple too. Quit. Every day of drinking would make the addiction hole deeper.

Best of luck to you, PJ. No matter how hard it is, you can do it. It will suck for a while, but that doesn't really matter, does it? Sober is sooo much better than drunk. You can choose it, and then go get it. Then you can find that peace and joy you are looking for. Because you won't find it while impaired.

Best to you.
Old 05-27-2016, 05:54 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Glad you are back, whether things are good or bad, alcohol is not your friend...take care of yourself
Old 05-27-2016, 06:00 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Rar

Glad you're back Pricey. I agree - alcoholism is progressive. You can do it. Staying glued to this forum is helping me get through the early days.
Old 05-28-2016, 12:41 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Yes! I was you about 130 days ago. I was still drinking and started posting on here to tell somebody I was worried. I am truly indebted to this place. I'm so incredibly happy to be sober.
Old 05-28-2016, 04:44 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by priceyjunk View Post

Looks like I am on a 2 year cycle.

If that is what you so choose....
Old 05-28-2016, 05:43 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

You can choose to stop the cycle
Glad you are back
Old 05-28-2016, 05:55 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

another thing i found to be true in the big book:

Once more: The alcoholic at certain times has no effective mental defense against the first drink. Except in a few rare cases, neither he nor any other human being can provide such a defense. His defense must come from a Higher Power.
Old 05-28-2016, 06:35 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hi Pricey,

I had a similar history on SR. I joined in 2012, and it took me until this year to get it right. I also has many day ones, I had stretched of sobriety, followed by periods of drinking again. I convinced myself I could moderate, and failed miserably each time. I will hit five months this week, and the thing that has helped me is accountability and not becoming complacent in my recovery plan.

When I stopped reading and posting on SR in the past directly correlates to when I started drinking again. I make sure to check in here every day, normally several times. Reading stories of successes and struggles helps me remain vigilant about my own recovery.

I'm glad you are back, you can do this!!
Old 05-28-2016, 07:45 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Rar

"When I stopped reading and posting on SR in the past directly correlates to when I started drinking again. I make sure to check in here every day, normally several times. Reading stories of successes and struggles helps me remain vigilant about my own recovery."

This was true for me also. I became too complacent. After I took the first drink, I was too ashamed to come back. If I were reading and posting everyday, either I wouldn't have taken that drink or I would have jumped right back on the wagon.
Old 05-28-2016, 01:54 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Yes, that's my story too. Many day ones. Making a decision never to drink again, trying to moderate. Usually 'succeeding' for about a week. Stop posting on SR probably because deep down inside I know something is wrong and then before you know it, I'm trapped again. And then, when I'm in the grip of out of control drinking, I keep putting it off and tell myself I'll do it 'tomorrow'. I've had a lot of tomorrow's.

But yesterday, I found myself, after another half bottle of liquor, realising I was out of control, big time. Can't afford to do that anymore. It's slowly killing me.