Notices

Weight gain?

Old 05-26-2016, 05:29 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Flawed View Post
I gained weight at first, my body metabolism seemed to not know how to process food calories instead of booze calories. It leveled out as my body began to heal. Hang in there and yes, just stay off the scale for a bit.
How long did it take to level out?
Old 05-26-2016, 05:41 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

OMG! How did I not think to mention (don't think anyone else has) your thyroid?! Have you ever had it checked? I have been both hypo and hyper and have periodically had the dose adjusted based on my levels (I get them checked every three months-ish, as well as when I notice symptoms like weight gain, sluggishness, etc). This is an easy one to rule in/out and address with meds so maybe check on that, too.

The thing about quitting sober is that the body has so many different factors all reacting to the sudden lack of alcohol! I have to believe it's possible to figure it out as we get healthy, but it takes time (and hopefully insurance!!).
Old 05-27-2016, 03:03 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I agree with the others is that it sounds like you are gaining water weight back. Alcohol severely dehydrates you, and with being off it and getting proper nutrition, it sounds like your body is just getting itself back into normal levels. I really wouldn't worry about it only 5 days in.
Old 05-27-2016, 03:22 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I agree with a break from the scale. I say this as someone with body image issues and obsession with those numbers. Take a break from it and focus first on your commitment to sobriety. You need to find the way to give that the focus. The weight will normalize and balance out as sobriety becomes your new norm and your body balances out.
Old 05-27-2016, 05:43 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Rar

Not drinking aside, I always gain weight whenever I begin an exercise program.
Here's why the body retains fluid from exercise

Weight Gain with Exercise?

Why does my weight go up when I exercise more frequently?
Article By: William Sukala, MS, CSCS
trainerAsk The Personal Trainer

A: Weight gain with exercise may be disheartening. But before you hang up your running shoes, take heed. Exercise has not betrayed you—this weight gain is short-lived.

In the short term, exercise causes some bodily changes that may temporarily bump up your body weight. Your muscles not only get bigger and stronger, but their chemistry changes too. That is, you increase certain types of enzymes that cause your muscles to store more carbohydrate in the form of glycogen. Glycogen is a "hydrophilic" compound, which means it attracts water. So that extra glycogen in your muscle cells includes extra water. This can add some weight.

Over the long term, however, if your weight continues to go up, it's very unlikely that you gaining because you are exercising too much. It is more likely that you are eating more and/or exercising less than you think.

Bottom line: You want to see the number on the scale drop, but give it time. As you continue with your exercise routine and begin losing fat, you will see a drop in both body weight and clothing size. And you'll benefit in the long run: Building muscle increases your metabolism, allowing you to burn more calories during exercise and at rest.
Old 05-27-2016, 05:47 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Thank you everyone for your replies. I am staying off the scale, and trying not to focus on weight. If it keeps continuing I will definitely see a doctor, which I should make an apt anyways to check my thyroid/ liver function. Day 6!!
Old 05-27-2016, 11:07 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I think its water too,I got soooo super dehydrated when drinking,I'd be 5 lbs at least under normal weight,drank tons of fluids to feel human again and eat again to feel human,give it time,great job on 6 days btw but it is a pretty short time of the grog to start worrying