Notices

Anyone else fed up with our Alcohol culture

Old 05-23-2016, 04:30 PM
  # 61 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by NoelleR View Post
In regards to my water and salt comment.....there's an old adage that says it the dosage that makes the poison; water, alcohol, and salt. What I stated was NOT my belief or opinion; it's fact. I see that some of you didn't take my suggestion to do some research.

To give you a jump start, try checking out hydrocephalus and hypernatremia...........

(o:
Yeah well that's absolutely stupid logic. Anyone ever wake up with a hangover from drinking too much water? Nope. Any amount of alcohol is a poison. People feel even one drink the next day. Can't say the same about water. I can't believe I'm having to explain this. Are you even an alcoholic? Have you ever had a hangover? Who cares about nitpicking dosages. Comparing alcohol to water? Absolutely ridiculous. My friend just died from alcohol poisoning. That's what they called it (doctors). Drank himself to death. I have two other friends that are almost there and several on their way. Never heard of salt or water poisoning, unless they were lost at sea in a little raft for months on end. When you put alcohol on your tongue it burns. Oddly enough water doesn't. When you put a flame to alcohol it burns, oddly enough again water doesn't. Frogs live in water, fish live in water. In alcohol they are dead meat. But yeah alcohol isn't a poison, it's just the amount. Oh ok.
Old 05-23-2016, 04:49 PM
  # 62 (permalink)  
Administrator

Let's take a chill pill guys and get back to the topic at hand.

On going intense discussions about whether alcohol is literally, or metaphorically, a poison are probably best done by PM.

The ignore function is also good if your blood pressure is rising.

Ignore bothersome members. If there is someone on the forum that bothers you, select the Ignore option on the drop down menu under their name on the post. You won't see any posts from this member again.
Dee
SR
Old 05-23-2016, 04:50 PM
  # 63 (permalink)  

People do die of salt and water over-ingestion, it's rare but it happens.

Folks in early recovery need to be aware of symptoms of PAWS, that often include irritability and striking out at people in response to internal distress. Those symptoms, unrecognized and unchecked, very often lead to relapse.
Old 05-23-2016, 04:55 PM
  # 64 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Andante View Post
Whoa… you mean to tell me that both the Church and the Greek Philosophers are in on this evil plot hatched just overnight by the greedy alcohol merchants and the soulless advertising hacks of Madison Avenue in a conspiracy to keep the poor downtrodden innocent masses intoxicated and thus defenseless to the nefarious plans of their evil power-mad multinational corporate masters? What’s the world coming to?
YES! And all drinking establishments are actually secret Masonic Lodges as they are in on it as well! haha, your post made me laugh.
Old 05-23-2016, 05:03 PM
  # 65 (permalink)  

You have to remember, only about 10% of the population is alcoholic (I think that's right), so most people can go to a restaurant or wherever, have a few drinks, go home and forget about it(what??). It is too bad we alcoholics are stuck dealing with the endless fascination of people with alcohol.
Old 05-23-2016, 05:09 PM
  # 66 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bluedog97 View Post
You have to remember, only about 10% of the population is alcoholic (I think that's right), so most people can go to a restaurant or wherever, have a few drinks, go home and forget about it(what??). It is too bad we alcoholics are stuck dealing with the endless fascination of people with alcohol.
And most likely those 10% of alcoholics have loved ones in the form of a spouse, parents, children, friends that are affected by their disease too.
Old 05-23-2016, 05:12 PM
  # 67 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by thenewguy View Post
Social drinking is binge drinking, and even the "normies" drink a lot more on the usual occasion than is recommended.

Some of my relatives are like this. They drink their wine under the guise that it's more sophisticated and in smaller glasses. But almost invariably the glasses are filled more often, the conversations get louder and more pointless and annoying. I've been avoiding these occasions for this very reason.

Let's not kid ourselves; even moderate is binge drinking/heavy drinking. That's the real culture.
Exactly my experience, very few people stop at one or two. Most poeple drink at least four drinks if not more at the social and business events I attend. None of these people are considered abusers but according to medical experts, four drinks in one sitting is binge. So yes I agree, society is using excuses that it is social drinking when it is not.
Old 05-23-2016, 05:19 PM
  # 68 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by alcoholics wife View Post
And most likely those 10% of alcoholics have loved ones in the form of a spouse, parents, children, friends that are affected by their disease too.
Very true, I'm not denying that. I was just commenting on the cultural prevalence of alcohol on society. Have you seen the Friends and Family section?
Old 05-23-2016, 05:33 PM
  # 69 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by frankster View Post
Yeah well that's absolutely stupid logic. Anyone ever wake up with a hangover from drinking too much water? Nope. Any amount of alcohol is a poison. People feel even one drink the next day. Can't say the same about water. I can't believe I'm having to explain this. Are you even an alcoholic? Have you ever had a hangover? Who cares about nitpicking dosages. Comparing alcohol to water? Absolutely ridiculous. My friend just died from alcohol poisoning. That's what they called it (doctors). Drank himself to death. I have two other friends that are almost there and several on their way. Never heard of salt or water poisoning, unless they were lost at sea in a little raft for months on end. When you put alcohol on your tongue it burns. Oddly enough water doesn't. When you put a flame to alcohol it burns, oddly enough again water doesn't. Frogs live in water, fish live in water. In alcohol they are dead meat. But yeah alcohol isn't a poison, it's just the amount. Oh ok.
Take it easy Frankster. This isn't that important.
Old 05-23-2016, 08:32 PM
  # 70 (permalink)  
EndGame

Not to diminish the OP, but there are many more things than the commoditization and positive advertisement of alcohol that disturb me about Western culture.

This issue cycles through the forums fairly regularly. Becoming hyperaware of or hypersensitive to alcohol while attempting to get sober is another manifestation of the Baader-Meinhof Phenomenon. (You can look up the origin and the psychological processes of the BMP.) It's similar to buying or looking to buy a new Lexus. You suddenly become so aware of the make and model that you seem to notice it everywhere once you have it in your mind to buy one, or after you've bought it.

The fact that we've done so much damage by drinking only makes our awareness of it (and sensitivity to it) that much more acute. My experience is that when people become more comfortable and more confident in their sobriety -- and move on with their lives -- this preoccupation losses its power, just as do many other things that used to haunt us before we got sober.
Old 05-23-2016, 10:55 PM
  # 71 (permalink)  

I just want to point out, positively, that our popular culture has also been inclusive of sobriety, at least in little ways. Songs like "Not Afraid" by Eminem, and a recent release from the Goo Goo Dolls "So Alive" about John Rzeznick deciding to be sober, are heartening to see from time to time. Although, I understand what the OP is saying, that so much of culture and socializing feels centered around alcohol drinking. I agree with many others, though, in that when your life is very focused on something, like sobriety/alcohol abuse, it's hard not to think of it constantly and see it all around. It all goes back to the choice of sobriety, I think...you can't worry about the actions of those around you, but you can control your own, and that's what will ultimately make you happy.
Old 05-24-2016, 01:29 PM
  # 72 (permalink)  

Anyone else fed up with our Alcohol culture

No, I am not fed up with our alcohol culture, not in the least.

Things are as they are.
Old 05-24-2016, 02:05 PM
  # 73 (permalink)  

I have been seriously thinking the same thing. One person's addiction/vice isn't always the same as the next person. I don't care for sugar but love me my wine.
Old 05-24-2016, 09:56 PM
  # 74 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Time2Rise View Post

As I don't see that changing anytime soon, I personally don't concern myself with alcohol's prevalence and social acceptability. It's wasted energy, and I can use that energy to work on my recovery. Honestly, the prevalence of alcohol really doesn't bother me because I know I cannot do anything about it except to control my reactions and behavior.
Yes. THIS.

And every day I ask for the serenity to accept the things I can't change (others for example) and the courage to change the things I can (me, and my attitudes) and the wisdom to know the difference.

In early sobriety I wasted so much precious energy in wishful thinking, raging and festering resentments. The I decided to use that energy for my recovery and personal growth instead.

I do agree that alcohol is a toxin. But so are resentments.