Notices

Control

Old 05-06-2016, 09:39 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Control

"Most of us have been unwilling to admit we were real alcoholics. No person likes to think he is bodily and mentally different from his fellows. Therefore, it is not surprising that our drinking careers have been characterized by countless vain attempts to prove we could drink like other people. The idea that somehow, someday he will control and enjoy his drinking is the great obsession of every abnormal drinker. The persistence of this illusion is astonishing. Many pursue it into the gates of insanity or death."

Alcoholics Anonymous, p. 30
Old 05-06-2016, 09:44 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

While, I don't currently use AA's 12-Step program, I do believe there is much wisdom in the Big Book. And I believe this is one of the most important and helpful paragraphs in the Big Book of Alcoholics Anonymous. I have it marked in my copy, and I often refer to it when I have thoughts of drinking.

I also like another passage found only a few pages after the passage you've quoted. I also refer to this passage whenever I start feeling that "this time I'll be able to control my drinking".

"We have seen the truth demonstrated again and again: "Once an alcoholic, always an alcoholic." Commencing to drink after a period of sobriety, we are in a short time as bad as ever. If we are planning to stop drinking , there must be no reservation of any kind, nor any lurking notion that someday we will be immune to alcohol. " Big Book, Page 33
Old 05-06-2016, 10:29 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
totfit

I have no problem now thinking of myself as bodily different. Makes not drinking just a simple choice now.
Old 05-06-2016, 02:20 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
One Day At A Time

The idea that somehow, someday he will control and enjoy his drinking is the great obsession of every abnormal drinker. The persistence of this illusion is astonishing. Many pursue it into the gates of insanity or death.

Spot on. Thanks for posting, MIR.

I'm with you, T2R. Although I haven't done the steps, I find the Big Book to be a pretty amazing resource.
Old 05-06-2016, 04:54 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I never felt the need to try and fit-in with regards to alcohol, rather I have a tendency to push everything to its absolute limit. Sometimes that is a good thing, with alcohol consumption, is was an extremely bad thing.
Old 05-06-2016, 06:45 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

That concept is also a keystone in my acceptance of my addiction. I think it transcends nearly any recovery method.
Old 05-06-2016, 07:18 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Until It Sleeps

I don't like things having control over me, ever. Alcohol was the one thing I always over looked. Its taken a year of Day 1's to show me I let something, control me.