Notices

Sitting in the airport trying to avoid duty free

Old 05-04-2016, 08:55 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Sitting in the airport trying to avoid duty free

Hi to anybody that may read this. I just needed to get it out. I came to the airport, trigger for me, for work so I have to. I went immediately to the booze section of course and wandered. I REALLY wanted a drink, and still kind of do feels like my head it being pulled. Having a coffee now instead, but I cannot lie I would love to right back to duty free and buy a bottle. Im on here and playing it forward instead but, it's still tempting. One more hour until takeoff.
Old 05-04-2016, 08:59 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

It's very easy: stay put until your flight. Don't buy anything. Enjoy your coffee, watch all the people go by. Don't buy anything.

Good luck, and have a nice flight!
Old 05-04-2016, 09:01 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Keep busy and your mind on other things. Coming here to talk it through was a great idea...kudos for taking action.

Playing the tape ahead is a great idea. You can go back and read some of your earlier posts too if you need a reminder of why buying a bottle would be a horrendously bad decision. This one might be a good one to remind you of where buying that bottle will lead you

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...en-afraid.html
Old 05-04-2016, 09:11 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Get through this and you will be so happy later!
Old 05-04-2016, 09:12 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
Keep busy and your mind on other things. Coming here to talk it through was a great idea...kudos for taking action.

Playing the tape ahead is a great idea. You can go back and read some of your earlier posts too if you need a reminder of why buying a bottle would be a horrendously bad decision. This one might be a good one to remind you of where buying that bottle will lead you

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...en-afraid.html

Oh my goodness. That post shook me to the core. Thank you. Gate is opening any minute and will be on my merry way, away from the duty free. Such a close call. If I didn't come on SR/ take it in chunks of 5 minutes I really think I would have. I had planned it even going through security. Feeling so grateful and relieved, but frightened at how close I'm coming. Thank you.
Old 05-04-2016, 01:34 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Arrived sober in Belgium and it feels great to have won that battle at the airport, I didn't think I would!!! Thanks guys
Old 05-04-2016, 01:37 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

man, I spent SO many international trips drunk off my head.

Good job staying clear of it... feels GREAT doesn't it??

Think of all the money you saved, all the time you didn't waste in a daze, all the cells you didn't kill, the damage you didn't do to your body.. flying is hard enough on the body without also being tanked.

Good job.
Old 05-04-2016, 01:39 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I have never woken up sober and happy and wished I had drank the night before.
Old 05-04-2016, 01:43 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yay for you getting through that! And, next time it will be a bit easier.
Old 05-04-2016, 02:11 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thank you guys! You're great! What is it about airports???? Massive trigger for me. It feels in transit you have a free ticket, scares me! As ridiculous as it sounds.
Old 05-04-2016, 02:23 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Kelly12390 View Post
Thank you guys! You're great! What is it about airports???? Massive trigger for me. It feels in transit you have a free ticket, scares me! As ridiculous as it sounds.
it's not ridiculous.... there is an otherworldly sort of "space in between" sense in airports. And there are bars everyplace. And alcohol ads. And you're in airports because you're leaving your family and friends behind and heading off somewhere else. You're maybe traveling for a job you have no actual heart in. Maybe it depresses you just even to BE there. And then there's the boredom. The time in transit. The sense of needing to pick ourselves up or somehow prepare ourselves for the drudgery ahead. And that margarita is calling... and on board they'll be serving, too.... and for YEARS or maybe decades we've been cultivating this habit - training our addicted brain that airports and airplanes are places it gets its reward!!!

No, it's not ridiculous... it's perfectly rational.

But here's the thing... airports also have water. And bookstores. And they're great places to observe and to people watch and even to chat with strangers and get insights to other places and experiences. They're fantastic places to get stolen self time... to journal... to write poetry... hell, I sometimes even bring a ukelele along and sit there playing it.

There are magazines in airports. There are interesting places you may never have eaten. There are coffee shops and there are often art displays. Some have photography exhibits. If you're laid over long enough, you can often catch a train and duck out to some cool museum or local eatery or meet with a friend you've not seen in a long time.

There are a gajillion other ways to experience airports (and anything else life has to offer) than the single, stupid, haze-filled way we've trained our inner addict to demand.

I travel frequently. The danger has gone. The temptation has faded. I find the traveling more fun now. I get a lot of reading done. I make phone calls to people I've not spoken with in a bit. I research things online. Maybe I just log on and post on SoberRecovery for a couple hours..... but I don't drink and I don't have any desire to. Hang in there, it gets better and better.
Old 05-04-2016, 10:29 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FreeOwl View Post
it's not ridiculous.... there is an otherworldly sort of "space in between" sense in airports. And there are bars everyplace. And alcohol ads. And you're in airports because you're leaving your family and friends behind and heading off somewhere else. You're maybe traveling for a job you have no actual heart in. Maybe it depresses you just even to BE there. And then there's the boredom. The time in transit. The sense of needing to pick ourselves up or somehow prepare ourselves for the drudgery ahead. And that margarita is calling... and on board they'll be serving, too.... and for YEARS or maybe decades we've been cultivating this habit - training our addicted brain that airports and airplanes are places it gets its reward!!!

No, it's not ridiculous... it's perfectly rational.

But here's the thing... airports also have water. And bookstores. And they're great places to observe and to people watch and even to chat with strangers and get insights to other places and experiences. They're fantastic places to get stolen self time... to journal... to write poetry... hell, I sometimes even bring a ukelele along and sit there playing it.

There are magazines in airports. There are interesting places you may never have eaten. There are coffee shops and there are often art displays. Some have photography exhibits. If you're laid over long enough, you can often catch a train and duck out to some cool museum or local eatery or meet with a friend you've not seen in a long time.

There are a gajillion other ways to experience airports (and anything else life has to offer) than the single, stupid, haze-filled way we've trained our inner addict to demand.

I travel frequently. The danger has gone. The temptation has faded. I find the traveling more fun now. I get a lot of reading done. I make phone calls to people I've not spoken with in a bit. I research things online. Maybe I just log on and post on SoberRecovery for a couple hours..... but I don't drink and I don't have any desire to. Hang in there, it gets better and better.

Thank you for putting a different perspective on it and making me not think I am nuts! The pull to drink in the airport is like nothing else. What you say makes so much sense, it really is like the twilight zone, and the addiction tries so hard to tell that as you are 'between realms' it doesn't count. I really always felt that was only me who had felt that!!

So good to hear it from someone else and thank you for your suggestions and encouragement. I like the idea of journaling at the airport, that's definitely an idea for outbound flight.

Woke up super early this morning, had a shower and I'm sitting at breakfast now (first person here lol) and I can honestly say I feel fantastic.

It was so worth it!!!!! I can't convey enough how much in words it was worth it. I'm sure you all know anyway

Thank you and have a very happy Thursday! People on here are awesome.