Notices

I thought I would post...

Old 05-02-2016, 12:00 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I thought I would post...

I've known that I am an alcoholic for about 5 years. I tried AA and it just wasn't for me. My MO is to drink alone at night after my kids are asleep, usually 1/3 to 1/2 bottle of scotch. occasionally, I took a night off but not very often. last week, I took two nights off followed by a night where I drank 3/4 of bottle. my wife took a picture of the empties and begged me to get some help. I went and saw a therapist. I don't think she and I will see eye to eye but I'll try at least a few more times. I took 2 more days off of drinking last week but again on Friday night, I drank 3/4 of a bottle. I haven't had a drink since. although I know it probably doesn't count, I'm viewing this as not drinking 5 of the last 7 nights...

so far, I feel better, sleep better and my appetite is returning. I notice that my cravings begin about 8:30 when I used to start to drink and end about 10 pm when I would usually fall asleep. I guess this is a good thing. i'll hang in there. thanks for listening
Old 05-02-2016, 02:51 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
A Smart Bug is a Sober Bug!

Great to see you posting. Welcome.
Old 05-02-2016, 02:55 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
mav
just keep swimming

Welcome back. Do you have a plan to quit for good?
Old 05-02-2016, 03:05 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome back Dewill. There's a ton of support and wisdom in this community. What's your plan moving forward. Are you trying to quit for good? I can tell you from experience that I tried to moderate for years and it never worked for me.

Quitting 100% was the best decision I ever made.

Welcome aboard.
Old 05-02-2016, 03:12 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hey there.... Thanks for sharing your post.

Hope you have a great evening and stay close to SR if you need to talk.
Old 05-02-2016, 03:44 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Sober Soldier

Well done dweill glad you are noticing positive changes
Old 05-02-2016, 03:56 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

My biggest problem with psychologists and AA were they wanted me to quit drinking and that wasn't going to happen.

I continued down the alcoholism road right up to the edge of losing everything I cared about including my life.

It was only at the precipice did I see that my drinking was the problem and quitting drinking was the solution
Old 05-02-2016, 04:28 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I hope our support can help you get sober for good.
Old 05-02-2016, 04:52 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Self awareness of when we're most likely to drink, is helpful. Change up your routine between 8:30 - 10, and don't have any liquor in the house. Keep going to therapy, it's too soon to quit, because you don't think this match will work.

You are lucky to have a wife and family, don't let your drinking, cause you to lose them
Old 05-03-2016, 07:24 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

there is absolutely no alcohol in my house. made it through last night again. had a dumb fight with my family (lasted about a minute is all--nothing too big) before I stormed out to the store to buy some items and cool off. I'm sure my wife thought I was going to buy some scotch. never really entered my mind. I wanted to prove that I could go to the store and not stop in the aisle. came home went up to my room and watched tv until I fell asleep. feel pretty good this morning. my short term goal is to make until thur when I see my therapist. I want to be able to report only the one slip up in the last week that I wrote about above. have a great day everyone because I'm going to!
Old 05-03-2016, 08:13 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dweill View Post
there is absolutely no alcohol in my house. made it through last night again. had a dumb fight with my family (lasted about a minute is all--nothing too big) before I stormed out to the store to buy some items and cool off. I'm sure my wife thought I was going to buy some scotch. never really entered my mind. I wanted to prove that I could go to the store and not stop in the aisle. came home went up to my room and watched tv until I fell asleep. feel pretty good this morning. my short term goal is to make until thur when I see my therapist. I want to be able to report only the one slip up in the last week that I wrote about above. have a great day everyone because I'm going to!
Best of luck to you in your recovery! I'm on day 1.
Old 05-03-2016, 08:25 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

go JLC!
Old 05-03-2016, 09:16 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Great job on coming back from the store and not drinking. You got stronger by doing that for yourself.

Stay strong today!
Old 05-03-2016, 09:36 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Welcome back! Just remember that it takes a while for the body to adjust to stopping alcohol. I tried to moderate and found it torturous to wait until the next time I thought I could drink and frequently cheated. In the end I wound up drinking much more and screwed up my life royally. When I decided to quit for good it was relaxing not to worry when I could have the next drink.

I applaud your efforts!