Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

What to drink at the Bierkeller that's alcohol free.

Notices

Old 05-02-2016, 04:11 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

So, my colleagues have revealed that they have gone and spent a fortune paying in everyone on our team to a Bierkeller (groan). I never liked beer anyway, even when I did drink. It will be full of Laderhosen, beer and umpah bands. My idea of Hell basically. But I have been told I must come. Naturally I will be staying for an hour, making my excuses and leaving. They don't know I don't drink. I'm using the excuse of antibiotics. Does anyone have any tips for non alcoholic beverages in one of these places?! I was thinking lime and sofa
Old 05-02-2016, 04:57 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

No one "must" attend a beer party. Sounds like this isn't something you would enjoy even if you were still drinking.

Part of sobriety is changing your habits and lifestyle. That may mean not attending events like this. Especially so early in sobriety.

If you do go it doesn't really matter what you drink as long as it isn't beer. There will be tremendous pressure for you to do so, and quite frankly it will be pretty boring as most others will be there with the sole purpose of drinking.
Old 05-02-2016, 08:03 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

If it's one of those team building things, I expect you have to go. Any non alcoholic beverage would suit, whatever you like. But you're right, have your escape plan in order. All the best.
Old 05-02-2016, 10:14 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

I saw some pictures of a couple of Bierkellers online.

Avoid like the plague.
Old 05-02-2016, 10:38 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I travel with guys in my Construction office for job visits. They drink, but not like I used to. When we go to dinner, which also involves meeting at the Hotel Bar before heading out, I often drink Tonic with a twist of Lime, NO Alcohol. Your thoughts of Lime and Soda is right there with my plan that works quite well. I do NOT drink 'non-alcoholic' beer - I have heard enough tales of woe and danger from it. so I just don't do it.
Old 05-02-2016, 01:11 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I've never liked beer though. But your tonic with lime sounds excellent
Old 05-02-2016, 01:16 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Leshar View Post
If it's one of those team building things, I expect you have to go. Any non alcoholic beverage would suit, whatever you like. But you're right, have your escape plan in order. All the best.
It is. Think I'll be going after about an hour. I can't even stand pretzels of beer or umpah bands 😩
Old 05-02-2016, 01:25 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

When you say you 'must' go, do you mean you will lose your job if you don't go? I've just never heard of something like that. It's not something I would go to.
Old 05-02-2016, 01:43 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
now's the time

I've worked at companies with mandatory off-sites that involve drinking. Just remain committed to yourself. In my experience, the first twenty minutes or so are really difficult as you settle in and try to figure out what to do with yourself while everyone else focuses on ordering and getting their drinks. But once that part's done and people start to just socialize, it's not so hard. And around then I generally get a rush from feeling strong about not having given in. You can do it!
Old 05-02-2016, 05:40 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

These things will come up from time to time, and if you put any store in your career, you will have to negotiate them.

If you're using the antibiotics line, then say it firmly and stick to it - that way you will feel you can't suddenly switch to booze without looking foolish. It helps to have something stop you from picking up so easily. In the first work cocktail event I went to sober, I stuck close to a client and friend who knew I wasn't drinking - her presence kept me honest.

Eat enough! I failed to appreciate how much finger food I needed to stave off hunger because I usually also added "booze calories". If you pile on hunger to the stress you'll possibly already be feeling, you're asking for trouble.

If you don't need to stay for the whole thing, then yes, get out of there. People who'll be drinking all night will pretty much block out the second half of the evening or be envious of those who had the common sense to leave when the going was good.

Good luck.

PS - lime and soda is my go-to at these things!
Old 05-02-2016, 09:28 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

One thing that's helped me - if you absolutely must go, drink plenty of water beforehand. It's much easier to say no to a drink if you're fully sated and not thirsty at all.
Old 05-03-2016, 12:04 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Do your best

I wouldn't go Sammy this is why you will hear advice like hang back & build your sober muscles

A newbie weightlifter does not exercise the heaviest weights in the gym because they know they risk injury & they can't lift them anyway

much much better to gradually build your sober muscles with your acceptance of alcoholism x

Sammy going to this & trying to be sober & enjoying it won't happen something tells me you already knew this but wanted to see what the general concencus is ?

know you don't have to go & you can say no to anyone pressuring etc you don't need an explanation just say no thanks x

if need be play the tape of you at this event think about it let me know what you think

most importantly stay awesome hun
Old 05-03-2016, 03:37 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Sammy,

How did it go?
Old 05-03-2016, 04:51 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dropsie View Post
Sammy,

How did it go?
I've persuaded them that a restaurant is better. We've booked a Chinease, which means I can actually keep away from the pub. Huzzah!!
Old 05-03-2016, 09:39 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Now that's taking leadership! Good for you, enjoy!
Old 05-03-2016, 12:31 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Do your best

Excellent Sammy x