Notices

The show Intervention

Old 05-01-2016, 10:18 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I watch it sometimes because it helps me feel that I'm not alone out there. Same reason I come to SR. There was a member here who was featured on the show once.
Old 05-01-2016, 10:42 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Oddly enough I used to love watching this show when I was getting loaded, it gave me a strange sense of Comfort. Don't care for it so much anymore, like so many things it did not affect me while I was so numbed out, but now I have a hard time watching.

I do remember at the end- because it was such a well known show, that the people started to realize halfway through the episode that they were on intervention. I remember watching at least 2 episodes where the person would say "oh snap this is intervention isn't it?" And then would run away before the intervention.
Old 05-01-2016, 11:06 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I thought about this after I posted. I did watch an episode recently about a drug addict and that isn't a trigger for me. But I just find it sad and depressing to watch, I think because as folks have noted the folks more often than not relapse because they aren't ready get better... And that's sad to me and frustrating because I'm a fixer and hate not being able to help others.

Not that it's for me to fix them ... But it triggers that in me so it's best to not watch.
Old 05-01-2016, 11:19 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

The show was always a trigger for me... I would bawl my face off watching it.

I seriously have worried in the past about my family trying to set up an intervention for me. I worry about it still.
But my family are assholes and they are right near the top of my trigger list and if I had to go to rehab and counseling it would be first to recover from their toxicity in my life. Blech.

I remember one aa meeting I went to and the guy speaking talking about how he was 12 stepping a guy he was drinking with at the bar. And the guy said to him, do you think maybe YOU need to go back to aa?"
It was a good chuckle. I think there's something to people being fixers. As addicts most of us know how to talk the talk but not walk the walk. We spend so much time trying to fix things outside of us instead of looking at what's wrong inside of us.
Default living is so much easier than constantly working on ourselves and working through thoughts and emotions and actually feeling them. It feels uncomfortable prioritizing ourselves in a post I've healthy way.
I admire the people on intervention shows, both the addicts and those doing the intervention. It takes a lot of courage to put your frailties out there publicly. But hopefully overall it gives people on all sides of it hope for better possible futures. And not just dramatizing it for entertainment.
I think for some, at least for me, it fueled the shame and depression of my addiction so my motto re the show was avoid at all costs. I have a bit of a different outlook now. I approach those things with caution and remember to practice self kindness if I choose to engage it.