Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Friends and Family > Secular Connections for Friends and Family
Reload this Page >

Using Techniques from LOA to Cope With Relative's Alcoholism - Working Practice Thread

Using Techniques from LOA to Cope With Relative's Alcoholism - Working Practice Thread

Old 05-14-2017, 05:16 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Do you know about the Abraham-Hicks discussion forum? It's similar to this one, only everyone there knows the Abraham teachings and it's great support for people taking that approach. There is sometimes discussion of addictions. Most of what Abraham talks about leads to being able to "be free of feeling jerked around by another person's hurtful decisions" or by anything at all. I've been listening, reading, attending a few workshops for seven years and recently started going to Al-Anon meetings. I find much compatibility and similarity between the Abraham teachings and Al-Anon. In our meetings, we don't focus on problematic behavior of others, but on how we can be aware of our own part in things and choose better feeling thoughts and behaviors. The Al-Anon program also encourages us to surrender to our Higher Power, thereby taking us out of "fix-it" mode, which is often anxiety mode.

I'm pretty well familiar with Abraham-Hicks, so if you want to discuss that approach, I'm here. I see many aspects of your posts that I could comment on and perhaps help clarify how an A-H perspective might help, but I'm not sure if you're still looking for that kind of commentary.
Old 05-14-2017, 10:22 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Fallen Angelica: Just some background - I attended Alanon and other 12 Step meetings for six plus years - sometimes two meetings a day . . .

I have listened to Abe-Hicks vids for several years . . .

I am not a "true follower" of either, however I see benefit in Abe-Hicks - focusing on "what you want, instead of what you don't want."

Every 12 step meeting I have ever attended focuses on "the problem." And since what you focus on expands, I don't find that helpful.

I do think it's wonderful that 12 steps help people - however, if you are here to convince me of 12 step wonders, please note that this particular forum is "secular" - NOT 12 step . . . I have been in many groups and 12 step groups - and because my beliefs don't fall in line with the teachings - have been pressured to conform - and I want to be free of that. I respect that it works for other people and I am not trying to recruit anyone into thinking about things differently . . . I started this thread A LONG TIME AGO, and there has been hardly any interest in just looking at how we might approach another person's addiction from an LOA perspective . . . since my initial post, my thinking has evolved and I am not focusing ONLY on LOA .

However, if you use LOA to assist you in dealing with an alcoholic or addict, I would love to hear your methods and practices.

I don't want to argue about 12 step - want to be free of that here . . . you can find 100's of other places to discuss that model.

Look forward to hearing your experiences with LOA and other's addictions.

And no, I do not want your criticism of me or how I am "doing it." lol
Old 05-15-2017, 08:04 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Hi Seek -

I'm not interested in convincing anyone of anything - was merely sharing my experience that Al-Anon and Abraham Hicks have a lot in common and that both approaches are enormously helpful to me. I'm also not interested in critiquing anyone and arguing isn't my thing, either.

Peace
Old 05-15-2017, 10:30 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Cool. As I said, would love to hear how you've used LOA to deal with loved one's addiction.
Old 06-14-2017, 01:34 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

The teachings of Abraham are founded the principle that our Source/God/spirit/inner being (all one and the same) weaves us all together. The Law of Attraction is a spiritual law. I'm not sure why this thread would be in the secular section.
Old 06-14-2017, 07:56 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I put it in this section because I wanted the support for "relatives and friends" of alcoholics . . . does this bother you?