Notices

Class Of January 2016 Support Thread part 6

Old 03-06-2016, 07:45 AM
  # 481 (permalink)  
Alive in the Superunknown

I'm jazzed, I had a new song come to me in a dream this morning -- I woke up with this E Mixolydian island groove in my head, jumped up and grabbed pen and paper and got the main riff down. That definitely makes up for the short, broken sleep I had through the night, plagued by an ongoing bad dream every time I slipped back into slumber, until the song-dream came along.

Good morning Jannies, hope all's well in your worlds.
Old 03-06-2016, 08:40 AM
  # 482 (permalink)  

Hey Thumpa, congrats on the new song. I think you also came up with our class name, Jannies! I like it, what do the rest of you think?

Keep those creative juices flowing!
Old 03-06-2016, 09:30 AM
  # 483 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Thumpalumpacus View Post
I'm jazzed, I had a new song come to me in a dream this morning -- I woke up with this E Mixolydian island groove in my head, jumped up and grabbed pen and paper and got the main riff down. That definitely makes up for the short, broken sleep I had through the night, plagued by an ongoing bad dream every time I slipped back into slumber, until the song-dream came along. Good morning Jannies, hope all's well in your worlds.
That's so awesome Thump. I sometime sing songs in my dreams that I apparently make up but I never remember them enough to try and recreate. You are obviously very talented! Do you play in a band?
Old 03-06-2016, 09:48 AM
  # 484 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sunflowerlife View Post
That's so awesome Thump. I sometime sing songs in my dreams that I apparently make up but I never remember them enough to try and recreate. You are obviously very talented! Do you play in a band?
Not any more, my last gig was about five years ago. Since then I've done open-mic solo things, but no full length gigs with bands and no money changing hands. I've had paying gigs as both a guitarist and a bassist.

I don't think it's talent as much as it is training and practice. Like this song this morning, the only reason I could keep it where a nonmusician couldn't is 1) I recognized that it hadn't already been written by someone else 2) I could identify key and tonality and 3) I liked it, it sounded good. The first two are directly a result of training and practice, y'know?

Thanks for the kind words.
Old 03-06-2016, 11:00 AM
  # 485 (permalink)  

Good morning Jannies (I like that name Thump!!!)

It is a rainy Sunday here, and since we do not get rain often I love the idea of being lazy and not feeling guilty about it.

Sounds like everyone is doing well.

Carry on!!!
❤️ Delilah
Old 03-06-2016, 12:32 PM
  # 486 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Thumpalumpacus View Post
Not any more, my last gig was about five years ago. Since then I've done open-mic solo things, but no full length gigs with bands and no money changing hands. I've had paying gigs as both a guitarist and a bassist. I don't think it's talent as much as it is training and practice. Like this song this morning, the only reason I could keep it where a nonmusician couldn't is 1) I recognized that it hadn't already been written by someone else 2) I could identify key and tonality and 3) I liked it, it sounded good. The first two are directly a result of training and practice, y'know? Thanks for the kind words.
I guess you are right although I still think talent plays a role- training and practice lets that talent truly shine. You know, I started playing the guitar at 15 and played regularly until my mid 20s. I really wish I would pick it up again. Maybe you have inspired me to at least take it off the wall this week and practice a bit. Any advice on how to get into it again? I never focused on scales. Do you think I should? I have always been the type to just find a song I like and learn how to play it. (By reading tabs although I have a guitar app that I haven't used yet.). I always avoided the technical stuff like scales.

I bet open mic nights are a lot of fun. I had friends in college who did that. Was always a good time.
Old 03-06-2016, 12:52 PM
  # 487 (permalink)  

If I were in your shoes, I'd start with simple songs to regain finger strength and fingerboard familiarity. Take breaks often so you don't strain anything. Don't worry about technical stuff until your fingers are ready. After that if you're interested in that sort of stuff go to it. But it is a physical activity as well as mental and emotional, so take care you don't injure yourself (CTS or tendonitis before the biggies).
Old 03-06-2016, 03:01 PM
  # 488 (permalink)  
Administrator

good advice Thump

D
Old 03-06-2016, 03:43 PM
  # 489 (permalink)  

That's cool about your new song Thump. So songs can really begin in a dream! Don't forget us in your Grammy award speech "I'd like to thank Jannie Essar..." I'm completely tone deaf, but I love singing. I'm one of those crazy singing ladies in the car. My husband is a great singer, although annoyingly loud at times.

I had an awful drinking dream last night. I was so drunk but couldn't remember how it started. I was so relieved to wake up and find it to be a dream. I guess it's a warning to keep my guard up.

It's been 12 days now of no smoking. It is getting easier, but I am still eating!!!!

Have a lovely day everyone.
Old 03-06-2016, 03:44 PM
  # 490 (permalink)  

I'm glad you are hearing the music there Thump Hope everyone had a great weekend. Enjoy the day people
Old 03-06-2016, 03:53 PM
  # 491 (permalink)  
Administrator

won't be around for a day or so, so time for a new thread guys

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-part-7-a.html

D