Codependent No More

Old 02-12-2016, 04:28 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

Originally Posted by Brightly View Post
Thanks Lexie! Yea I think you are spot on with him looking for a substitute, now that you mention it. My sister keeps insisting he should try weed (she says he needs to have somethingto do for fun) but I know he is not someone who can do anything in moderation.
The weed is probably a really bad idea. I thought maybe if it became legal in my state I might try it. From reading on this forum people have said it can trigger a relapse with drinking or become an addiction on it's own. If he really wants to stay sober it is best to avoid anything along those lines at all.
I think it is weird that your sister suggested that he needs something to have fun. Plenty of people don't drink or use drugs and have fun. Addicts don't use to have fun anyway. The last few years of my drinking was anything but fun.
I can't imagine an adult who knows better trying nicotine. Chewing is even more addictive than smoking and many say smoking is a harder habit to break than drinking. Was he actually hiding it or just didn't tell you?
Old 02-12-2016, 06:45 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Yea he and I both know anything mind altering is a terrible idea! Anything that makes him feel different is off limits, this extends to even things like Benadryl - we don't have any meds other than ibuprofen in the house.

I can't explain the chewing tobacco...I don't think he can either. He knows its bad for him, he knows its disgusting. Bleh. He said he is done with it so hopefully he is!