Notices

Newbie here

Old 02-12-2016, 12:32 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

20 minutes into day 1

OK. No party, no bet, no binging. I was waiting for after Valentine's day because hubby surprised me with reservations at a really nice place Sunday. I wasn't sure I could not have a glass of wine with him and I sure wasn't going to cancel on him. I may as well try, no?

My original date was 2-12 but I got my dates wrong and thought yesterday was the 12, so I can still be on target and I had the day to do at least a little planning.
2-12 = 5 the number of grace. I'm going to need a lot of grace.

I've dumped what was left in the house from yesterday. I started to drink it, but when the clock ticked over to today I decided to pour what was left in the sink.

Haha, 20 minutes. Now I'm headed to bed, so that will give me a few hours. The hard part starts when hubby takes his nap around one or two p.m. so I'll probably be here whining around then.

Goodnight all, and thanks for all the support and advice. I think I'm going to like it here.

X

Old 02-12-2016, 01:09 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, as you can see from the posts you will find lots of support here!!! I know dinners out can be a trigger early on, at least for me, and I am only on day 43, so still early, so make sure you do come up with a plan in advance.

Maybe you can research the menu online and plan out an extra special meal, including dessert (which I know I used to skip in favor of wine.) also, plan on a yummy mock tail or sparkling water.

Does your husband know about your plan to stop drinking? He can be a is support for you as well.

❤️Delilah
Old 02-12-2016, 04:57 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Administrator

You might find Valentines Day is better for you not drinking Xcess

D
Old 02-12-2016, 05:56 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome Xcess
Old 02-12-2016, 11:26 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Xcess!!
Old 02-12-2016, 12:54 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Will do.
Yes!
Thanks.

X
Old 02-12-2016, 06:37 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

plans ...beep...beep...beep...beep, back up!

Give me zero's and call me lame 'cause I'm back to my plan.

I let myself get nudged into something I wasn't ready for and it messed up my resolve. No more midnight just do it's for me. There are those out there that need to just go for it now, today, but I know myself and how my failed attempts went. I need a plan to stick and things to grab onto or I'll be right back in the same lousy old place yet again.

I'll be here Monday for day one.

In the meantime, I am moving forward with my plans. I'll post them here in the next few days in case they are of use to anyone.

X

[/FONT]
Old 02-12-2016, 07:40 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Life Goes On

Nope, not gonna do it.
I'm sure you are no zero nor are you lame.
It's really difficult to give up no matter when it is. If you are planning for Monday and sticking with Monday, then go for it!

We'll be here to support you through.

Looking forward to seeing the plan.
Old 02-12-2016, 09:21 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

And tomorrow never comes is what comes to mind. I'll do it tomorrow is like saying when the cows come home. An intangible future event Today is what I'm giving for tomorrow may never come
Old 02-13-2016, 12:11 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Thank you, Oblahdi. Yes, I've probably overprepared, if one can do that. (No, of course not, said the handy dandy prepper type.) I just have to type it up.

Chad, I understand where you're coming from, but I'm going to have to take that chance. I know I might get blind-sided anyway, but not by something I can anticipate. And if so, I'll have options besides giving up and going out for beer.

On that note, hubby's drumming came up this morning. Well, it comes up every morning. He can do it for a loooong time, with a change-up here and there. OMG, it sends the creeps up my neck because it's not a tune it's just tap, tap, tap, tap, tap, tap, tap, but he can't help it. I got up and got coffee first time. I was in the middle of a nightmarish time trying to buy a couple of recovery books on Amazon the second time, so got up and went in the other room until I figured it out. Came back in. Third time, same. I got the books and I didn't run out and by beer. Lesson learned for Monday. I hope it doesn't make him feel bad. I just have to make it, no matter what.

X
Old 02-13-2016, 12:28 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Xcess
I want to suggest (gently) that you can stop drinking and make a plan at the same time.
Giving yourself til Monday smacks of that ol' Inner Addict's bad advice to me.

Sure we're all different, but we all know the only way to build something is from the ground up...right?

Stop drinking AND make a plan - you can do it!

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ery-plans.html

D
Old 02-13-2016, 02:07 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Do your best

^^^^^^^^^ great advice Xcess
Old 02-15-2016, 01:43 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Pieces of the Plan

My Plan

Change my name. It's too negative.

Make appointment with doctor for next week about meds and likelihood of withdrawal
difficulties.

Make a list of health issues I have likely precipitated by drinking. I want to watch them disappear as the days and weeks go by.

List ‘triggers’, things I know have played a part in my having a drink so that I can avoid them or plan to talk myself through them instead of doing the usual.

Buy a pretty glass to have fizzy drinks and juice in. I already have a pretty cup from hubby for hot tea.

Exercise plan. Walks in the neighborhood to start with, then maybe treadmill when it gets really hot.

Experiment with playing the little harp I just got and sing.

Get all of the needed materials for my knitting project, a blanket, and think of a name for it.

Set up dates for my helper friend to tidy up if I let things go a little. If things become a mess, I will get depressed, give up, go get something to drink and tackle the mess. No can do this time.

Stock up on easy to prepare foods and refreshing non-alcoholic drinks to put in my pretty glass, and have some treats to look forward to.

I’ve downloaded Kick the Drinks by Jason Vale and This Naked Brain by Annie Grace to read this weekend and in the beginning days.

I’ve downloaded some humorous podcasts and picked a few TV shows to marathon through if I get totally unmotivated.

I’ve picked a couple of comics to check out each day. I think humor is really important, just anytime really. I may check out the humor threads as well.

Then, of course I plan to come here and check in on my buddy and post how it’s going. Eventually, I will read threads of others and see how they are doing and do what I can to support and encourage them. I may wait a bit for the second part because I don’t want to be influenced by relapses. You know, “They relapsed, so it won’t be that awful if I do too.” No, no. No can do. There’s nothing there for me except the same ol’ same ol’.

Old 02-15-2016, 01:51 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  
Do your best

Sounds good Fervor
Old 02-15-2016, 06:12 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

great list Fervor! This is my first day too. I went to yoga class this evening about the time I would be pouring my first glass of wine..it helped!
Old 02-15-2016, 07:05 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Congratulations Fervor and Bunting on making the decision to quit. Sobriety is a wonderful feeling! 😀
Old 02-17-2016, 11:16 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Thanks. It is. So far, anyway. I may end up liking this a lot. It makes me think, "Whoa, what else isn't impossible?"

But, one awesomeness at a time.
Old 03-06-2016, 07:14 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

"...alcohol is not, in fact, our treasure, but a turd wrapped in shiny paper."

Too, too true, Beccybean. I really appreciate your candor, and that of others who are straight to the point. On the other hand, I am also thankful for those who reallize I may not be there yet. Both are needed and appreciated.

Maybe it becomes easier to say, "Just do it." the longer you have done it because the truer it is? And that should be an encouragement to us all, yes? Idk why it's as difficult as it is. If it were so easy, we wouldn't all be here would we?