Notices

Relapsed after 8 months

Old 02-13-2016, 09:14 PM
  # 61 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JamesfrmEngland View Post
Yes I am trying to top and have almost stopped I have only had 4 cans today, last night I drank drove after vodka, cider, and Guinness around with my friends and could easily have killed someone or been pulled over, luckily I wasn't. And I was a person who said I'd never drink and drive, the only reasons I hadn't before was probably because I only just got a car. I went to rehab today and my mate said I absolutely reek of booze and I admitted in group that I cannot safely drink and my drinking days are behind me. I was hallucinating in the AA meeting tonight and had a Guinness down my side drawer when my passengers left I necked it and drove home.
James, please choose again to "never drink and drive." All else aside, the choice to drink and drive takes other people's lives into your hands.

About your thoughts involving science....I caught myself overthinking as a way of avoidance. Is it possible that you could be doing this, too? Another term for what I did is intellectualizing. I mention this with respect for where you are right now and out of a sincere desire to help.

Once I finally admitted that I simply cannot drink normally.....as the previous post said something about 24 hours later we end up drunk on the couch....once I accepted this simple FACT that I'd proven to myself many times, I gave in and stopped overthinking.

It turned out to be a relief to give in.
Old 02-19-2016, 10:06 AM
  # 62 (permalink)  

Well I have been drinking and I totally crashed my car on Wednesday. Vehicle had to be taken away. It has given me impetus to stop (for now) and when I woke up after the crash I had no thoughts of drinking, my dad obviously went berserk and knew I'd been drinking he thought the police would come and say I was dead.
Old 02-19-2016, 10:27 AM
  # 63 (permalink)  
mav
just keep swimming

Well I have been drinking and I totally crashed my car on Wednesday. Vehicle had to be taken away. It has given me impetus to stop (for now) and when I woke up after the crash I had no thoughts of drinking, my dad obviously went berserk and knew I'd been drinking he thought the police would come and say I was dead.
Damn. It's a shame it had to take something like that to bring you to this realisation. Think yourself lucky that you, passengers and anyone around you got out of this OK.

You say, "...this has given me the impetus to stop (for now) and..." - seriously, what does that 'for now' mean? If you still haven't come to terms with how serious this behaviour is then I don't know what will. Forget how your Dad reacted - you could have killed someone.

Grow a pair and take responsibility for yourself. I have no time for drink drivers.
Old 02-19-2016, 10:46 AM
  # 64 (permalink)  
Do your best

James your lucky to not of hurt anyone Inc yourself
Old 02-19-2016, 11:43 AM
  # 65 (permalink)  
Sober Soldier

Hey James that sounds horrible glad you're okay and true you are very lucky to not have seriously hurt yourself or anyone else.

Can you think of any reasons beyond just this car crash to work towards long-term sobriety?
Old 02-19-2016, 11:51 AM
  # 66 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Well I have been drinking and I totally crashed my car on Wednesday. Vehicle had to be taken away. It has given me impetus to stop (for now)
What might give you the impetus to stop for good and not just "for now"? How about injuring or killing someone? How about ending up in jail for a few years?
Old 02-19-2016, 11:52 AM
  # 67 (permalink)  

Where do you go from here James? Thankfully no one was hurt, but I'm guessing there is legal ramifications from this?
Old 02-19-2016, 03:52 PM
  # 68 (permalink)  
Administrator

G;lad only the car was damaged Jmaes.

Whatever the impetus I'd run with it.
What are you doing to stay sober now - right now?

D
Old 02-20-2016, 06:30 AM
  # 69 (permalink)  

I second Plure's recommedation of the book "Healing the Addicted Brain". It is an excellent read which addresses the science behind addiction.

In terms of moderation, there is a very important element that many people seem to overlook in their research which is this: Moderation is only effective very early in one's potential drinking career - BEFORE drinking patterns develop. Even moderation advocates agree with this. So basically, by the time most of us realize we have a problem, the moderation ship has sailed. Unfortunately, most of us test the theory before we realize that for us, moderation is simply a myth.
Old 02-20-2016, 02:47 PM
  # 70 (permalink)  
Administrator

are you out there James?

D
Old 02-21-2016, 01:24 PM
  # 71 (permalink)  

Not sure I'm one day sober now, hopefully can continue. Gonna go to AA meetings, use the gym more and not take the first drink, would like to become a gym instructor so maybe that can focus my attentions. I need to speak to people if I feel I need a drink (eg my sponsor which I am very shy to do). Drink just gives me more negatives than positives I know that (with car crashes, finances, health, sweating, insomnia etch. And yet my mind told me it was a good idea to get drunk tonight! However, at my last stint at sobriety the beginning was tough and I nearly drank the day I got out of detox! I am going to try staying sober one day at a time.
Old 02-21-2016, 01:43 PM
  # 72 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Whatever you do, just don't drink!
Old 02-21-2016, 01:59 PM
  # 73 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Originally Posted by FormerWineGirl View Post
I second Plure's recommedation of the book "Healing the Addicted Brain". It is an excellent read which addresses the science behind addiction.

In terms of moderation, there is a very important element that many people seem to overlook in their research which is this: Moderation is only effective very early in one's potential drinking career - BEFORE drinking patterns develop. Even moderation advocates agree with this. So basically, by the time most of us realize we have a problem, the moderation ship has sailed. Unfortunately, most of us test the theory before we realize that for us, moderation is simply a myth.
I am a big fan of "Healing the addicted brain" as well and you are right the moderation ship sailed so long ago that is halfway around the world by now
Old 02-21-2016, 02:03 PM
  # 74 (permalink)  
Administrator

AA sounds like a good idea. Do follow through on that, James.

D
Old 02-21-2016, 02:06 PM
  # 75 (permalink)  
Do your best

Agree with going to AA it really helped me James I'm really glad your bk