Need Your Positive Vibes

Old 02-03-2016, 03:13 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Need Your Positive Vibes

Hello all!

I know I haven't posted here in a while (more on that in another thread, I think) but right now I could really use your positive vibes.

I have been working overnights in retail for almost a decade and now am trying to break out of that into a more professional career. I have a bachelor's degree so yeah - I could be doing a hell of a lot more than pushing freight all frickin' night.

I applied to a great place and did well on the phone interview and they have invited me in for a face to face with 2 of the managers to see if I would be a good fit.

I. WANT.THIS.JOB.

I originally took the job I had now because the drama of dealing with the narcissistic XAH and the demands of single motherhood just left me too drained and scared and feeling low to work a job that demanded more than the barest of involvement. But 2 years ago I told the XAH to F$@K off and joined Codependents Anonymous. A lot of positive changes have taken place since then, but this one would be a major step forward in my recovery. Even if I don't make a lot more money doing this, I would feel so much better about myself knowing that wanting to change is enough - I don't have to wait until the world is crashing down around my ears to make a decision. I can change something just because I want to - that is reason enough.

Say those prayers for me, if you would!

Thanks so much in advance.
Old 02-03-2016, 03:29 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Sending you lots of positive energy and good thoughts! I think the fact that you are moving forward is great progress.

Let us know how it goes.
Old 02-03-2016, 04:04 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I hope you get it!!!! Sending prayers for you.
Old 02-03-2016, 04:16 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Sending out positive thoughts!
Old 02-03-2016, 04:42 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Good luck and good thoughts PW
Old 02-03-2016, 04:52 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Good luck PW!! You sound full of positive light yourself but sending more anyways.
Old 02-03-2016, 04:56 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
~sb

Sending more prayers and well wishes to you!!!
Old 02-03-2016, 05:19 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Good thoughts and positive energy coming your way!

Just one thought--don't put all your hopes and dreams into this one position. I just posted this morning about the "dream job" that got away, and I wound up with a similar (but even BETTER) job a few short months later. IOW, go into this with your head high and your confidence high that you can handle this or any similar job and with the knowledge that EVERY interview is an opportunity to work on how you present yourself and that if THIS one doesn't pan out you've done something to improve your chances on the NEXT (possibly even better) job.

I'm sure you'll do great at the interview.
Old 02-03-2016, 06:27 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Sending good, positive thoughts and prayers your way!
Old 02-03-2016, 09:17 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I second what Lexie said, but I'm sending good vibes your way!!!
Old 02-03-2016, 12:25 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Just got an email from the guy and he said I had declined his ***** Calendar request for an interview and did I still want to meet?

WTF - I accepted that with my job coach sitting RIGHT NEXT TO ME at a jobs appointment. So I emailed him back as soon as I got the message and told him that I still wanted the appointment. But I only have internet access at the library and I didn't get the message until 23 hours after he sent it.

Now I look like a total tech moron and lazy to boot. It's like the universe can't even throw me one feckin' break.
Old 02-03-2016, 03:11 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Originally Posted by PurpleWilder View Post
Just got an email from the guy and he said I had declined his ***** Calendar request for an interview and did I still want to meet?

WTF - I accepted that with my job coach sitting RIGHT NEXT TO ME at a jobs appointment. So I emailed him back as soon as I got the message and told him that I still wanted the appointment. But I only have internet access at the library and I didn't get the message until 23 hours after he sent it.

Now I look like a total tech moron and lazy to boot. It's like the universe can't even throw me one feckin' break.
LOL, let me tell you how things went for me with my application for the job I now have.

When the job announcement landed in my inbox, I read it, said it was PERFECT, and I had just updated my resume, had a writing sample all ready to go, and a video of my recent argument before our State Supreme Court. I packaged it all up, wrote a dynamic cover letter, and hit "send," only to realize 30 seconds later I had mistyped the job title in my subject line (I applied for an "Attorney Advison" position, instead of "Attorney Advisor").

Crap. So I heard nothing for over three months and figured they hired someone else, forgot all about it. And when their administrative assistant called to invite me to interview, I thought she was a phone solicitor (somehow when you retire you get calls ALL DAY LONG), and I brusquely demanded her to repeat, "You're WHO? From WHERE?" Once I realized who she was I of course apologized.

I had a phone interview that went very well, and then got an email from the admin assistant "inviting" me to an interview with the full staff. So I make my travel arrangements and noticed a day or two before the interview, that there were two different addresses for this organization--one on her email and another on their website. So I called to find out which was the correct address.

Only to be informed that this was another PHONE interview. I re-read the email she sent and there was NO HINT that this was anything other than an in-person interview. So I skated that potential disaster, because even if it totally wasn't my fault, I would have been so upset at showing up unexpectedly that I would have blown the interview when I did have it.

So fear not--if the Universe wants you to have this job you will get it. If the guy weren't interested, he wouldn't have contacted you. Tech happens--to all of us.

I had ALL those things go wrong during the process and I got the job anyway.
Old 02-03-2016, 04:10 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I agree with Lexie, if he wasn't interested, he would never have reached out.

Sending positive thoughts to you, you so deserve a great job!!
Old 02-05-2016, 03:30 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

So I emailed the guy back and said heck yeah I still want the interview - so in I went.

I met with him and the manager for the customer service department. The whole place is an Internet based company with a very laid back (but working) attitude - I had to write an essay on the perfect peanut butter and jelly sandwich for my application and the ID badges for everyone there show them posing with light sabres.......

Anyhow, he asked me if I wanted to go in the back and see how the inventory was managed so I said sure. We go back there.....and walking by is a guy that I worked with at my current job for about 4 years. I was floored. I said, "Hey, I know that guy!" So the manager brought him over and he was stunned. He said its a great place to work. So hopefully he will put in the good word for me.

The CEO of the company (management team is small) is going to call me later today for a final phone interview. Hope that goes well.

And I got my tax refund back. So a pretty awesome day.

Thank you, thank you, thank you HP.

And thank you, SR friends. You have helped me so much over the years that words cannot express it.
Old 02-05-2016, 03:40 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
A work in progress

My phone interview for the first "dream job" (the one I ultimately didn't get) required me to give a presentation on the phone about how to make a peanut butter and jelly sandwich (must be a trend). Mine included a caution about not cutting your tongue when you're licking off the knife--they loved it!

Sounds like things are going well--good luck!!
Old 02-05-2016, 03:40 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

Good luck Purple. I recently got my dream job after going through and incredibly long and tortuous process where I almost gave up.
Old 02-06-2016, 12:55 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I didn't get called today but I'm trying not to freak out about it. I'll know either way on Monday because if they don't call me by then, I'm getting in contact on Tuesday to see what's going on. Meanwhile, I'll spend some time at the library this weekend filling out more job applications - "Keep Calm and Carry On"
Old 02-06-2016, 11:01 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Good plan to keep looking. If the job comes, the job comes. No point in sitting by the phone waiting for it to ring.

I think I'd wait a week before calling again. Did you send a thank-you note for the interview? That's always a good move. It shows your continuing interest. I always used to say thank you, tell them how interested you are in the job, and invite them to contact you if they need any further info. The reason I suggest waiting a week is that they have other things to do besides filling this job (and you never know what might have come up), and they may need some time to contact your references.

A week at least seems a good period of time to wait. The letter will show them how interested you are, and beyond that you can seem annoying or impatient.