Notices

One Year & Over Part 34

Old 02-11-2016, 12:27 PM
  # 481 (permalink)  
Wu Wei

Originally Posted by Rusty Zipper View Post
going to lung doc today the last in the slew of test estate sale preview before hand, priorities you know!
From another going through medical tests, my thoughts are with you. I heard a podcast the other day and the main theme of the presenter was that the "problems" we encounter in life can be viewed as gifts, that allow us to see reality in new and alternative ways. Instead of experiencing these issues as negative we can chose to be mindful of them as doors into a extended glimpse into the mysteries that surround us. For me, my illnesses have ushered me into a more spiritual life and for this I am grateful. Stay strong and remember that everything is exactly the way God wants it to be and you are a beloved creation of this God.
Old 02-11-2016, 12:34 PM
  # 482 (permalink)  
Wu Wei

Originally Posted by EternalNow View Post
From another going through medical tests, my thoughts are with you. I heard a podcast the other day and the main theme of the presenter was that the "problems" we encounter in life can be viewed as gifts, that allow us to see reality in new and alternative ways. Instead of experiencing these issues as negative we can chose to be mindful of them as doors into a extended glimpse into the mysteries that surround us. For me, my illnesses have ushered me into a more spiritual life and for this I am grateful. Stay strong and remember that everything is exactly the way God wants it to be and you are a beloved creation of this God.
I need to apologize for giving such long winded advice, I guess I was writing to myself and this is what I needed to hear. Good luck Rusty.
Old 02-11-2016, 12:46 PM
  # 483 (permalink)  

Is good advice Eternal.

I have had more tests in the last 6 months than I have had in the 36 years. An MRI for a hearing loss issue showed I had scarring on the brain from at least 2 "cerebrovascular accidents" in the past. Meaning I had "silent strokes." Now waiting for the results from a CT scan on the same thing.

Still don't know why my ear rings and am losing hearing, but I do know now I have to be more careful of what I eat and get exercise. So yes, it has a positive influence. I would rather know than be dumb and happy.
Old 02-11-2016, 04:25 PM
  # 484 (permalink)  

Hello and best thoughts to all of you.
Time for my monthly or bi monthly or quarterly check in with you.
Tomorrow marks another month of sobriety for me. 27 I believe. 2 years whole and 1/4 of another one.
Feeling generally good. I am 62 on March 1 and starting to feel that I don't want to work anymore. Just freakin tired of it. I figure work and booze are similar when it comes time to quit. You just know when you have had enough.
So many things I want to do more of but work gets in the way.
I have told you all about my three grandsons. They continue to be my spark and higher power. Well, the two older ones (along with mom and dad) are moving into a house three doors down from us. They are so excited to be so close to Papa and Grandma. We are as well. Now we can sweep cookie crumbs from the kitchen every day. I must glue the tv remote to the side table so I don't have to spend 30 minutes looking for it every time they visit. We do enjoy them so much but man are they busy. 5 and 3 now and full of energy. And questions, The questions never stop.
Lost a dear old friend yesterday. He suffered from Parkinsons at 73. He hung himself. His wife found him. She called today so distraught. I am sad today.
Other than that bit of crappy news, I am good.
My wife and I met on Valentines day 35 years ago. I was drunk that night but I guess she thought I was funny, or a good dancer or something. Not sure but she and I are still together and going strong. Will go to a special place for a nice meal.
Hope all is well with you folks. Keep on doing what you are doing. Seems to be working for ya.
Love
Rick
Old 02-11-2016, 04:32 PM
  # 485 (permalink)  

Good to hear from you Rick!

I have a neighbor in my condo building with Parkinson's. It is sad to see him go down hill so quickly. He is almost totally blind now and very unsteady. But, he can still cook the best pot of collard greens in town.
Old 02-11-2016, 04:43 PM
  # 486 (permalink)  

Rick, glad you checked in! I understand what you mean by knowing when work is enough. I retired at 66 (now 71) and don't miss working at all. Sorry to hear about your friend.

Itchy and FBL, I spent a lot of time during the last 3 years of my mother's life with her. I was with her when she stopped breathing. That experience (very peaceful) helped to shape my feelings about death ... BUT ... as I get older, I'm finding some changes in my perspective. I've had a number of nasty physical problems over the years and was told twice that I had at most 5 years to live. At this point in my life I am noticing myself slowing down and other signs of aging. In addition, I'm finding myself "not ready" to think about letting go yet - especially as I'm noticing some troubling symptoms. I guess there is still a difference in contemplating from afar Vs facing something more imminent. It's not so much a fear of death as that I'd like to live some years longer.
Old 02-11-2016, 11:44 PM
  # 487 (permalink)  
Living and Loving Life at Last

I get that Sass, as long as we are enjoying life who wants to cash their chips in early!

Rick good to hear from you, sad about your friend and how awful for his poor wife, I'm kinda angry on her behalf that he chose that way. My daughter is a cop and she and her partner answered an emergency call to a teenager hanging herself. Fortunately they got her down, daughter held her weight as partner released the rope, and she made a full physical recovery, but daughter still has the odd nightmare.
So I guess it is my issues with your friend there.

Zip hope the test went OK X

Hugs all x
Old 02-12-2016, 03:44 AM
  # 488 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Zip, hope you passed your test with flying colors.

Rick, thanks for checking in. Enjoy those Grandkids while you can.

Eternal, your advice is greatly appreciated.

Sassy, I hear ya. When I was 14, my beloved Grandfather passed away. It was the first time I was really confronted by death. I couldn't figure out why everybody was smiling and laughing at the luncheon after the funeral, while I was inconsolable. Now I know, they were remembering all the good times. Lesson learned. As I look back now, I believe that my ridiculous drinking was a passive form of suicide. When I sobered up, I realized just how much I love life. My Dad was so full of life, yet I could see that he was ready to go. He spent the last 31 years of his life in recovery and made peace with his maker. I can only hope for the same when my time comes.

Have a Fantastic Friday, overs!
Old 02-12-2016, 04:13 AM
  # 489 (permalink)  

going to lung doc today

the last in the slew of test
wrong!

it was evaluation day! wtf!

the test is today at 11, and follow up next week

yes EN, as i too see this as a spiritual journey

because for me i need to be spiritualy fit to not wild out!

my primary care doc ordered a lung test, i make appointment for lung test, i should get a lung test

god says, were getting one, just not in your time! lol
Old 02-12-2016, 04:17 AM
  # 490 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry for your loss rick

D
Old 02-12-2016, 04:45 AM
  # 491 (permalink)  
Administrator

Time for a new thread:
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...part-35-a.html
D