Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

Had a quarrel with house mate and the urge came on

Notices

Old 11-30-2015, 02:30 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Last night I was having a nap on the couch, among st other things I suffer from sleep apnea which must be so annoying to someone trying to watch TV, I remember being told go to bed 3 to 4 times but I couldn't move and then all hell broke loose.
It went from me sleeping peacefully to the police coming to the door and my drinking.
She left the house angry as hell.
i said i'll show her angry and i put on my jacket to go to the nearest Bar.
Just then a voice in my head said ring a member and vent, 5 different members didn't answer but one did an ex room mate i went to treatment with and shared a room and rented a house after.
i said i need whisky and i want it now.
wow wow wow he said mate whats wrong, I told him. He said when I was living with you, only for the 12 step program you'd of got a knife through your chest it annoyed me so much.
Play the tape out man he said, whats liqueur going to do for you, your mad and poor whisky down on that, come back , start a quarrel drunk, get a barring order, become homeless.
that's what I see .
Apologize to the lady when she come back, admit your faults, don't sleep on it.
10 mins later she came in the door and i couldn't get a word out of my mouth, both of us ran to each other and hugged each other and said sorry.
Narrow escape there, I promised i'd go to bed to sleep in future, unfortunately it didn't last to long and i was snoozing again 2 hours later, all i heard was Paddy and i was up like jack flint to the bedroom.
So in this lesson I've learned it's all about reaction and use the damn phone, that's what it's there for. I have accumulated over 500 members, one of them will answer. So get numbers at meetings, it could save your life.
Old 11-30-2015, 09:19 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Thanks for sharing Paddy, glad that things worked out and glad you made the call.
Old 11-30-2015, 10:02 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
AA member

Yes, I have a long list of people I can call anytime,day or night.It is an invaluable resource in my recovery tool box.

Wishing you well paddy and continued sobriety.
Old 11-30-2015, 12:06 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Excellent post, and well done for working the program so well - it's hard to remember all that stuff when the mist of a rage is over us. You did good Paddy
Old 11-30-2015, 12:31 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

So glad you did not drank at that woman and reached out for help.
Old 11-30-2015, 05:18 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

It went from me sleeping peacefully to the police coming to the door and my drinking.
I'm confused. Did you start drinking at home and the police came, and then you almost went out to a bar, but didn't? Or did you not drink at all?

Either way, good job on calling someone and not going out!
Old 11-30-2015, 05:40 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Phew, Paddy. Glad you took that step and didn't return to that living hell you were in several weeks ago. Well done!!!
Old 11-30-2015, 05:43 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

Well done Paddy. After a while your body and brain will stop wanting to turn to alcohol in times of stress.
Old 12-01-2015, 02:24 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Talking

Originally Posted by Elodie View Post
I'm confused. Did you start drinking at home and the police came, and then you almost went out to a bar, but didn't? Or did you not drink at all?

Either way, good job on calling someone and not going out!
No she brought up about the time she had to bring the armed response unit to the door because the ambulance wouldn't come as i had a kitchen knife in my hand cutting my wrists.
I asked them to shoot me it would be easier and one of them said, I got a stun gun , ever feel what this feels like, you'll **** your pants after it.
So i dropped the knife...
Old 12-01-2015, 02:52 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

That was cool paddy..I loved reading how you handled that and wow what a great outcome.....proud of you...
Old 12-01-2015, 03:02 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Notimetoloose View Post
That was cool paddy..I loved reading how you handled that and wow what a great outcome.....proud of you...
Thank you notimetoloose, I really think it was HP stuff because I was ready for that whisky, thank God I didn't...
Old 12-01-2015, 09:22 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

That's awesome you made it! God Bless!