Notices

tomorrow is my 10 year birthday and I'm still a newcomer

Old 11-29-2015, 06:20 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
The hoop you have to jump through is a lot wider than you think!

tomorrow is my 10 year birthday and I'm still a newcomer

I like posting on the newcomers. I haven't been going to meetings for over five years. This is not about going to meetings but I have recently gone back and I've also been posting on here. When I first found this website I thought it was a place for me to help people LOL truth be told I have found it very healthy for me. When I first came on here I think I offended some people with my aggression and desperate state of mind. I was very angry and my life was nothing but fighting and irritation. Since I've been back talking to other alcoholicsI have regained some serenity. In a sense I am a new, I've been sober 10 years tomorrow. This really is a disease you don't heal from. Although all I've learned in my early sobriety stuck enough for me to not drink I've been very restless. Staying sober is so much more than not drinking. I've made a lot of people easy to anger. People that are in my life so every time I open my mouth they expect a fight. Since I've been on here in since I've been going to my meetings I have chilled out so much. I like to read what newcomer say because it helps me remember where I came fromand helps me relax when I can reach out. I could easily go to old-timer 12-step forms but this one is where I am emotionally. I need to be reminded and I need to help others. Since coming back I realized I do have some really good sobriety I just haven't been letting the miracle work in my life. When I read replies I see that there are some really good things. There are a lot of similarities that just back up what I've already learned I like seeing that there is consistency in our world. All of a sudden I don't feel like fighting anymore. All the sudden I know what to say again. All of a sudden I don't have depression and hate myself. All of a sudden I can say for other people's judging and mean behavior toward me. Without talking to other alcoholics I'll pick a fight with anybody that crosses my path. I have to be in control all the time and that is alcoholic behavior. I have these my spiritual toolbox to remember I have no control. That's when the miracle happens

I need a newcomer form to benefit myself by sharing and listening. Thank you
Old 11-29-2015, 06:26 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 10 years sober! We all have things we need to work on and it sounds like you are doing well. Thanks for sharing your story with us!
Old 11-29-2015, 07:30 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I agree that personal improvement should be a journey that never ends
Congrats on your sober time

D
Old 11-29-2015, 07:54 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

Originally Posted by Step12 View Post
Since I've been back talking to other alcoholicsI have regained some serenity.......................... I need to be reminded and I need to help others. Since coming back I realized I do have some really good sobriety I just haven't been letting the miracle work in my life.
Congrats on 10 years.

Wow I am so glad you posted. These things in your post really stood out to me. I really haven't been on the site much and realize that it does give me a sense of direction and calmness posting and reaching out to others here. I have become lax in this and this is just a reminder that I have to make the time to post here and make more of an effort.
Old 11-29-2015, 07:55 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Good to see you too, LadyBC - welcome back!
Old 11-29-2015, 07:57 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

A huge congratulations on 10 years of sobriety, step12 - very, very impressive.
Old 11-29-2015, 07:58 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

thanks Dee!
Old 11-29-2015, 08:06 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Congrats. Glad your here. Going to meetings and coming on here gives me the tools and support to live my life.
Old 11-29-2015, 08:17 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi lady!

Step12, super duper congrats on 10 years! That's monumental. What an achievement!

I'm really glad you are here. The great thing about being around other alkies be it on sr or in a face to face group, is it helps us and gives us the chance to help others at the same time.

Like you, I think I'm going to be a newcomer forever. Long after I become an old timer. there's always more to learn.

Great post, thank you!
Old 11-29-2015, 08:56 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Step 12, I am so glad every time you post. I saw the fiery side of you in the beginning but now I see the warmhearted side as well. You are an inspiration as 10 years of sobriety is alot to be proud of. I look forward to seeing more of your posts and more of your growth as we support each other and grow together.
Old 11-30-2015, 12:50 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Well done and keep coming back, please don't let your meetings slip, I done it after 8 years and paid a costly price. " It's the only disease where the police are called first before the ambulance"I've experienced that my self.
I was cutting my wrists with a blade, two cops called wit 2 guns and told me to drop the weapon or else.
I said that's exactly what i want to do and then they said we'll use the stun gun, i dropped the weapon very quickly, shoot me but dont stun me i said...The madness of it all..... Happy 10th Birthday
Old 11-30-2015, 01:12 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

SR is both give and take, some days you'll be in the mood for replying to many threads and encouraging and others it'll be a case of reading, listening and, quiet reflection and learning.

The common goal of one more day towards whichever journey we're on!!

Congrats on your Sober time!!
Old 11-30-2015, 01:47 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Purpleknight View Post
SR is both give and take, some days you'll be in the mood for replying to many threads and encouraging and others it'll be a case of reading, listening and, quiet reflection and learning.

The common goal of one more day towards whichever journey we're on!!

Congrats on your Sober time!!
Anything that helps me is good in my books, the only problem is if u try and get sober alone with SR alone as I tried before, we need the spoken word as well and get off our asses, get out there to meetings and help ourselves by helping the other suffering addict/Alky even if it's sitting sharing a cup of tea, going for a walk, bringing them to a 12 step meeting
Old 11-30-2015, 02:08 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by wehav2day View Post
Hi lady!

Step12, super duper congrats on 10 years! That's monumental. What an achievement!

I'm really glad you are here. The great thing about being around other alkies be it on sr or in a face to face group, is it helps us and gives us the chance to help others at the same time.

Like you, I think I'm going to be a newcomer forever. Long after I become an old timer. there's always more to learn.

Great post, thank you!
We call them uptown and downtown meetings here. Corks first ever meeting 1955 is known as downtown and i would always make sure to get one in to remind me what its like out there.
Pain has no memory part of the problem I relapsed the other part was I never got an uptown one either, in fact zero meetings, zero chances.
The newest member can sometimes be our best teacher, that's why they are always referred to the most important person in the room.
Old 11-30-2015, 02:29 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Congratulations on your 10 years, that is amazing and such an inspiration! How brave of you also to open yourself up and recognize where you still need to work. I think every single one of us has things we can work on, it is smart when we recognize those things and address them. Keep it up and thanks for being a part of this community!
Old 11-30-2015, 03:00 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Step12 View Post

I've been sober 10 years tomorrow
Looks like it's now tomorrow
congratulations
M-Bob
Old 11-30-2015, 04:38 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
~sb

Congrats on 10 years!
Old 11-30-2015, 10:33 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Cool

Disclaimer!!!! This post is not referring to anyone ere on SR, however............

"...tomorrow is my 10 year birthday and I'm still a newcomer..."

There's a saying in recovery circles: "The newcomer is the most important person in the room."

When it comes to f2f or IRL or 3D, I know that when most folks, with time, say they're still a newcomer, I know they mean they're still open, and willing to learn, and learning; but there's still a little part of me that still wonders if perhaps they want to be that 'most important person' again.............

(o:

P.S. Oh yeah; congrats on 10 years; ugogrl!
Old 12-01-2015, 02:29 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by NoelleR View Post
Disclaimer!!!! This post is not referring to anyone ere on SR, however............

"...tomorrow is my 10 year birthday and I'm still a newcomer..."

There's a saying in recovery circles: "The newcomer is the most important person in the room."

When it comes to f2f or IRL or 3D, I know that when most folks, with time, say they're still a newcomer, I know they mean they're still open, and willing to learn, and learning; but there's still a little part of me that still wonders if perhaps they want to be that 'most important person' again.............

(o:

P.S. Oh yeah; congrats on 10 years; ugogrl!
I remember my third meeting and another newcomer came in the room, I felt no longer like the most important person in the room.
It actually hurt me real bad, I wanted to be the most important person forever.... hahahaha