Notices

How mant tries did it take you?

Old 11-28-2015, 02:45 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I think it's fair to say you will find a range of "once" to "still trying for the 100th time". Getting sober doesn't seem follow statistics, especially when looking at your personal path.

More than the number, I think the determination to stop the madness and the living hell, and to seek help, plays a big role.

Me I tried once on my own, got to three months, but without any plan or support, and I caved in. This taught me that for me a) it was probably possible but b) I really needed help, a plan, guidance, and changes... lots of them. So you could say for me it was my second "try" (5 months later) , 3.5 years ago. I'm pretty sure it will stick, but complacency is not in the cards.

Most important: keep trying, don't give up. Statistically, 100% of the alcoholics that got sober did so on their last try.
Old 11-28-2015, 03:25 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Administrator

I used ti think that too Starlight - I hope you'll be able to look back some day soon and see that's not the case

D
Old 11-28-2015, 04:00 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ChiefBromden View Post

Most important: keep trying, don't give up. Statistically, 100% of the alcoholics that got sober did so on their last try.
I like that
Old 11-28-2015, 04:11 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Wink

Originally Posted by zoso View Post
drinking. I wanna quit but man it's really hard.
How Many Times did it take me?
I don't know for sure..
But, it was a LOT of times.
it had to get Bad Enough.
Old 11-28-2015, 11:07 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I'm on my second try myself, Wibble. I came on here a couple of years ago but I know I wasn't really done yet. Also, I didn't really make the life changes needed to make sobriety stick. Now that I've done that, I know I have a fighting chance. Don't stop, trying, Wibble. Do the work too, and you'll find the way.

Delfin
Old 11-28-2015, 12:26 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I agree with 2012Starlight...that ill be trying my entire life, probably. I DO KNOW that i am sick to death of all the problems alcohol causes me, omg! soooo sick of it. that alone, will keep me sober all day today. i know its hard, zoso, cuz alcohol is everywhere. and everyone equates havin a good time with havin some drinks! For me tho, it wont be a good time. it will end up all bad for me. then trying to piece together my blackout with no success. Driving myself nuts with anxiety and worry. I use things like this to remember what positively WILL happen if i drink today. No Thanks to that Mess! And Best of Luck to U zoso, U can do it...
Old 11-28-2015, 11:15 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by soberwolf View Post
Thanks man. I went to the gym today, first time in 5-6 years. It took me about 20 minutes of deliberation to decide not to buy alcohol on the walk back home. I only had a glass last night, looks like a sober night tonight. Try 2 I guess.
Old 11-28-2015, 11:24 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sg1970 View Post
Are you getting any kind of professional help for your depression and anxiety?

My drinking patterns were alot like what you described. Especially the rough last few years. The early days are hard. Some days it was all I could do to get through it and hit the bed sober. Three things helped me through it. Professional help for my anxiety, a recovery program, and pure being stubborn as a rock on the rough days. AA was a good fit for me for the recovery program but there are a few options. Have you looked at what's out there?
Last 6-7 years I tried 4-5 different psychologists and psychiatrists, different antidepressants, etc, nothing helped really. So I sort of gave up on that side of treatment. I think it's the alcohol consumption I need to deal with first. I haven't visited here often enough but it's helping.
Old 11-29-2015, 03:27 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Do your best

Originally Posted by zoso View Post
Thanks man. I went to the gym today, first time in 5-6 years. It took me about 20 minutes of deliberation to decide not to buy alcohol on the walk back home. I only had a glass last night, looks like a sober night tonight. Try 2 I guess.
That's it don't stop trying the best thing I done was taking the option off the table & getting through the cravings they suck but they do wane & then fade the more you get through them

Really glad your with us ZoZo
Old 11-29-2015, 12:30 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

It took me lots of tries when I was trying to quit "on my own, " but it only took once when I sought help, A.A., recovery, faith and reliance on God etc. 24 plus years now, 25 next July God willing.
Old 11-29-2015, 01:03 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

One, after I finally gave up the battles, and accepted that I had to stop or I would lose everything and die. Before that I made numerous half-hearted efforts, lasting up to two weeks, but I never accepted that reality, and I always thought deep down that I was gonna beat alcohol addiction. I was going to figure it all out, discover some magic trick so I could end the negative consequences but keep on drinking like a normie - abstinence is for the weak and afraid, but I'm smarter than those people and I'm going to keep fighting until I beat it, blah blah. Amazing, but I really thought like that. It was 100% addicted voice, I was soaking in it, but it took long sobriety, much longer than a couple weeks, before I really saw it for what it was.
Old 11-29-2015, 01:45 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  
KAD
Left the bottle behind 4/16/2015

Far too many times to count, I'm afraid, but this is the first time I'm doing it with a plan that involves a whole lot more than just not drinking. By the latter year or so of my drinking career I couldn't even pull that much off without help. That isn't the norm, BTW, as far as I can tell, so don't be discouraged or expect numerous fails. I would recommend getting into a program of some kind that addresses why you turn to alcohol as a solution. That's been the only way I've made it this far. I'm 228 days sober today. That might not seem like a whole lot to some, but it's the most sober time I've accumulated in over 10 years. Best wishes to you!
Old 11-30-2015, 12:17 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  
quat

Like a lot of the responses I'd say hundreds of times of stopping, and once for Quitting. Finding this place and learning about AVRT (there are great threads in the Secular Connections forum here on SR on those topics) helped to me realize, that 1 it is possible and 2 it had to come from me deciding "all the way down" , I Was Done, not even .05% of the option for future consumption was on the table. It's totally doable but you have to adopt the stance that it is for real and that you can do it. Rootin for ya
Old 12-01-2015, 01:42 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

hello...I'm on my 3rd try in 10 years...I'm two weeks in right now...I really wish I could be like some and say I feel great after two weeks...but I'm still going through the anxiety and panic real bad...yes I am seeing someone for that...but I'm dedicated and determined