Notices

Ramping up the intensity

Old 11-26-2015, 06:05 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Introspectator

Ramping up the intensity

Closing on day 12. It's been good, some moments of deep desire to drink, and deeper desire to abstain.
I am a musician, play drums and sing in a Classic Rock cover band. Tomorrow night and Saturday night are my first gigs since being sober. It will be a "ramping up" of the intensity to stay sober. My performances are much better when sober, but that hasn't happened in years. I know this from my practice time at home when I've been sober over the years. I look forward to a solid set of performances this weekend, but playing in the bar will be a challenge for sure. The upside is that my bad player is sober, after getting a OUI recently, so that will definitely help. I will check back in here throughout the weekend. SR has been good for me this time around, I am more determined this time and have been in here everyday, several times in the past 12 days.
At the moment I am sitting in my living room, daughter and her family are here and one of my sons. The guys are watching football and drinking. I am not tempted to join in, but it is different not having the same mindset as them as when I have drank with them. They are not even asking me to drink or tempting me at all. They have seen me at my worst, and it's not pretty.
It's strange, I just feel like going to bed early, much earlier than I used to, and that's good.
I see that it's all up to me, I must protect myself. The thoughts of drinking are ever present, but I am thankful that the desire to be sober continue to prevail thus far. One day at a time.
So, goodnight SR. Thank you all for your participation here, and all the help you have been to me. Happy Thanksgiving!

Introspectator
Old 11-26-2015, 07:38 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

As a sober muso I'm all about the music now
I'm a musician nowadays not a rock star

Enjoy the gig

D
Old 11-27-2015, 05:10 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Do your best

Congrats on day 12 Intro

Dee74 I loved your post
Old 11-27-2015, 06:57 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Introspectator

Originally Posted by Introspectator View Post
Closing on day 12. It's been good, some moments of deep desire to drink, and deeper desire to abstain. I am a musician, play drums and sing in a Classic Rock cover band. Tomorrow night and Saturday night are my first gigs since being sober. It will be a "ramping up" of the intensity to stay sober. My performances are much better when sober, but that hasn't happened in years. I know this from my practice time at home when I've been sober over the years. I look forward to a solid set of performances this weekend, but playing in the bar will be a challenge for sure. The upside is that my bass player is sober, after getting a OUI recently, so that will definitely help. I will check back in here throughout the weekend. SR has been good for me this time around, I am more determined this time and have been in here everyday, several times in the past 12 days. At the moment I am sitting in my living room, daughter and her family are here and one of my sons. The guys are watching football and drinking. I am not tempted to join in, but it is different not having the same mindset as them as when I have drank with them. They are not even asking me to drink or tempting me at all. They have seen me at my worst, and it's not pretty. It's strange, I just feel like going to bed early, much earlier than I used to, and that's good. I see that it's all up to me, I must protect myself. The thoughts of drinking are ever present, but I am thankful that the desire to be sober continue to prevail thus far. One day at a time. So, goodnight SR. Thank you all for your participation here, and all the help you have been to me. Happy Thanksgiving! Introspectator
Introspectator
Old 11-27-2015, 06:58 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Introspectator

I just corrected a spelling error, and it reposted the whole thing again...sorry 😏

Introspectator
Old 11-27-2015, 07:05 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Introspectator View Post

They are not even asking me to drink or tempting me at all. They have seen me at my worst, and it's not pretty.
Sounds like my family and friends
they have seen me in action and they don't offer me drinks anymore.
Oh - you have reminded me of my old band days.

"Running With The Band"

When I was younger

played in the band

partied much very loud

oh for sure we were out of hand !

Not going to tell you

that I could play

so very good

just fell in with a band

that really could !

Played every rock song

ever written in a book

one little problem

strung out and hooked !

So much talent

turned out to be a shame

all that drinking and using

had spoiled the game !

Our drummer was hot

very cool and meek

back on the stuff

Lost 30 pounds in a week !

Lead guitar player

sounded like Jimi

strung out again

all you can give me !

We were heading down

the wide road

sure to end in hell

I was blessed to live

so as my story to tell !

Yes we were young

had no fear

life can be taken

with drugs and beer !

I was saved from all that

walking with God today

with all that I have gone through

he was with me

all the way !

Bob Bowling 03-21-06
Old 11-27-2015, 07:45 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Introspectator

Thanks for sharing! Nice writing! Crazy days when one is in a band! The guys I play with are crazy and fun even when sober!

Introspectator
Old 11-29-2015, 09:40 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Introspectator

Just checking back, everything went well with the gig and all. Nice performing with a sober mind, much better. Anyway, can't believe I am on day 15...all is well. Do I have thoughts of drink? Of course I'd do, but I have thoughts of how horrific my life is when I drink. Hope your Sunday is a sober one.
Introspectator
Old 11-29-2015, 10:02 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Nice job! Keep up the good work!!
Old 11-29-2015, 12:13 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Day 15 - how wonderful, Intro. We're proud of you.
Old 11-29-2015, 01:49 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

congrats Intro

D
Old 11-29-2015, 05:01 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

HI! Thats exactly what im doing, remembering the Horrific...and i dont want to pick up again. U are doing really good, having to be in a bar. but then U are a musician who plays there. I love Classic Rock and watching live shows! Keep Rockin'!