Old 11-24-2015, 04:48 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Do your best

Stick close to SR Jarred were here for you your not alone

Meetings are a great idea
Old 11-24-2015, 05:02 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JarredMud View Post
You guys are great! I want to be a part of that someday. I've finally looked up some meetings near me. I obviously can't do it on my own.
getting my but into my first meeting when i was ready took a lot of courage. i was full of fear-fear of the unknown, fear of others, fear of life without alcohol.
returning got easier with each passing meeting.
and working the program removed the problem i had with alcohol. my favorite set of promises that happened by working the steps:

And we have ceased fighting anything or anyone - even alcohol. For by this time sanity will have returned. We will seldom be interested in liquor. If tempted, we recoil from it as from a hot flame. We react sanely and normally, and we will find that this has happened automatically. We will see that our new attitude toward liquor has been given us without any thought or effort on our part. It just comes! That is the miracle of it. We are not fighting it, neither are we avoiding temptation. We feel as though we had been placed in a position of neutrality - safe and protected. We have not even sworn off. Instead, the problem has been removed. It does not exist for us. We are neither cocky nor are we afraid. That is our experience. That is how we react so long as we keep in fit spiritual condition.

you can have em,too, jarred!
Old 11-24-2015, 09:00 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

That's a great idea you're not unique we are all the same one alcoholic helping another you've identified your fear hard part over now walk through it you're going to find a cigarette butt can a coffee pot and a whole lot of handshakes if you were truly done and are willing to get down to business there will be someone there who is wanting and willing to guide you it's important that they have done the steps but they are happy and you'll be able to see it in their eyes putting down the drink is the first thing we do then we change the way we think it's more than just being sober it's to recover to return to health from a sickness there are a lot of good people in the Fellowship we make it what we make it all of us can justify why we shouldn't go all those people stink it doesn't work all that is a and believing the lie there are hundreds and thousands of groups all over the world we get out of our recovery exactly what we put into it if we are willing honest an open minded there no limits there's no destination it's a journey you will learn how to face and be rid of the things in yourself that are blocking you you will learn that thinking is the problem not drinking you will recreate your life and be able to help others I have faith in you walk through the door grab a cup of coffee get some phone numbers and start being happy
Old 11-24-2015, 11:51 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I'm not a people person. I'm a bit of a recluse, that's why I don't like meetings.
Old 11-24-2015, 11:59 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I'm not even......you all know what this is. Drunk. My girlfriend knows, but she won't do anything. I can't do this on my own.
Old 11-25-2015, 12:11 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Good luck Jarred, stay close to SR and keep posting. This could be the start of something wonderful for you.
Old 11-25-2015, 12:13 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Alcohol isn't my addiction, but I can relate to exactly how your feeling.
I feel like I have no will power, and I am terrified of people, what they think, hate being looked at, so on and so forth.
The hardest things can be the most rewarding, addiction is a never ending cycle unless you end it. I know you can do it! I wish you the best and pray you can find peace.
Old 11-25-2015, 02:08 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Do your best

We are all in this together I'm glad your with us Jarred

#TeamSR
Old 11-26-2015, 11:48 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

I thought it would be Thanksgiving
Old 11-27-2015, 12:08 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

welcome Jarred! first off, congrats on passing your exam, and graduating when drunk?..I can't even imagine the potential you must have sober! I started posting on this site five days ago, it's been five days sober for me, probably one of the longest stretches for me in twenty years. I too battle with a social phobia and have had no personal success with groups, but this site has been very suportive, and a great place for advice and just to vent at any hour of the day or night, hang in there, we are all here for you!!
Old 11-27-2015, 01:36 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Hi Jarred ,

I have been a shy person all my life and could never be in a social setting unless I had a load of drink . I think this has been and still is the root cause of my addiction (2 weeks sober now )
I relate to you not wanting to be in a crowded AA meeting room . I was the same but got 2 years sober by doing meetings in 2009 . You dont need to interact with everyone and as happened to me you will click with one or two people who make you feel comfortable .
Its great you are looking to break free and you will .

I love SR the people here are always helpful . I always take something helpful away from browsing through posts and if I ask for help its Always there .

I wish you well
Old 11-27-2015, 02:12 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

The magic of SR for me at least is that even by writing things down you find some answers . In my post I say " I think this has been and still is the root cause of my addiction " BUT now im 59 and started drinking at 15 and will not use shyness as an excuse , not anymore .
Old 11-27-2015, 04:11 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Hey, Jarred

Welcome to SR -- glad that you found us and that you are ready to make this change.

Be patient and persistent -- it can be like turning a battleship at first.

Originally Posted by JarredMud View Post
I'm not a people person. I'm a bit of a recluse, that's why I don't like meetings.
I'm like that, too, and so are a lot of people [maybe most?] who go to meetings. I would recommend giving a few different meetings a try, even if just to make connections for the kind of one-on-one or small-group meetups you mentioned (e.g., to meet at a coffee shop afterward).

Wishing you the best!
Old 11-27-2015, 09:28 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by soberwolf View Post
We are all in this together I'm glad your with us Jarred

#TeamSR
I second what Wolf said. Just stay close to this forum, it will help you tremendously. I'm not a face to face guy either.