Notices

day 4 and this sucks

Old 10-10-2015, 03:05 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

You have received some great advice here, and I echo what many have said.

One thing to consider. . .as alcoholics we are accustomed to instant gratification. We are stressed, we hurt, and boom, the bottle helps. For me, it was a quick fix to remedy stress.

But I needed to understand that working through the difficult places, and having it be difficult, was part and parcel of recovery.

I am a firm believer that time does in fact heal wounds. It might sound cliché, or that I am resorting to platitudes. I am not. Give it time. As AA folks will tell you, wait for the miracle to happen.
Old 10-10-2015, 03:51 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I think my first week was pretty awful actually, I had all the symptoms you talk of and I also felt so very angry with the slightest thing. As others have said, you may wobble for a while yet, but after a week things calm physically. Maybe don't expect too much from yourself right now, just keep the sober focus.
The threads about people feeling wonderful are likely to be mostly from people further on in their recovery, so see them as encouragement and something to look forward to. If they are from folk at a similar early stage, then they are really lucky that's all.
Carry on, you're doing great.
xx
Old 10-10-2015, 04:28 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
JD
You're not shackled to not drinking, you're free from drinking

Hello freespirit. I "only" drank 4 to 6 beers every night and it's definitely a problem. It's not so much how much you drink but when the drinking becomes a problem for you. A problem for me bring drinking at the exclusion of almost everything else. I've also done this for about 30 years. If you read the posts here you'll find some people who drink much more than that. Don't let that be a reference point for you. If alcohol becomes a problem for you, and if you're trying to quit it must have, then the amount you're drinking is too much.

I'm almost 4 weeks into being sober, just need to get thru Sun., and I'm still in an emotional roller coaster. But it's much better than at first. I have depression, anxiety and irritability. With that said I have mostly very good days. I'm actually having feelings of real happiness which I haven't had in literally decades. So this journey is definitely worth some of the hardships along the way.

Another poster mentioned us drunks want instant gratification. That is so true. We're used to getting that 5 minutes after having that first drink of the day. A real, happy, productive life isn't like that. Life moves at its own pace and we have to learn patience.

Good luck on your journeyand please stick it out. We'll be rooting for you.
Old 10-10-2015, 09:45 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by goose333 View Post
FS
You are in a difficult period right now. It took me about a month before I really began to feel good. Then after that I was surprised that each week got better and better. I couldn't believe how great I felt.
BTW, what dcg said is absolutely true. Hang in there. It's really worth it.
Thank you!
Old 10-11-2015, 07:24 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum FreeSpirit!!

If like me you drank for years, it's gonna take more than a few days for the body to heal and repair, but will, give it time and you'll start to feel better, we can't rush the body doing it's thing!!
Old 10-12-2015, 10:35 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Purpleknight View Post
Welcome to the Forum FreeSpirit!!

If like me you drank for years, it's gonna take more than a few days for the body to heal and repair, but will, give it time and you'll start to feel better, we can't rush the body doing it's thing!!
Thanks! Yes, I have been drinking for years so you are correct . And Yep...it takes time....luckily I'm on day 7 and have had virtually no craving at all! Now...I still have insomnia but I don't know if I can chalk it up to drinking withdrawals or not because ever since I could remember I've had insomnia. ..From a young age....alcohol just helped me to bed....so...I guess it could just be a mixture of both.
Old 10-13-2015, 12:35 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Spirit,

We can all relate, the first days are tough, but the good news is that it will get easier, and the bad news is that if you start again, next time will not be easier.

About your partner, always had to know what someone else is thinking or feeling, especially when its a guy. I try to assume he loves me in his way, and not to over think it too much, which is not easy for us alcoholics.

Hang in there, we are routing for you. 4 days is great.
Old 10-13-2015, 12:40 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Whoops, meant to say 7 days...

About the insomnia, it varies a lot, but for me, one of the big plusses of not drinking is that, after the first period, I sleep like a baby. And its real sleep. Try a cup of camomile before bed, not sure if its the tea or the ritual, but it works for me.
Old 10-13-2015, 12:48 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Sober Soldier

Awesome work freespirit!
Old 10-13-2015, 05:33 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Sometimes, the most precious things in life don't come easy. Remember exactly how you feel right now and the days before. Let that motivate you to do whatever it takes to turn your life around. You never have to feel this way again. God bless.