Notices

Class of October 2015 Part 2

Old 10-20-2015, 03:17 PM
  # 481 (permalink)  

Midton - I always enjoy your posts; we go way back!! I, too, am not a fan of the thank you button. I think it's a distraction - and takes away from our mission somewhat. I wish the site would do away with it. One of these days, I'm just going to stop using it. Except for your posts, Midton! Sorry I'm a little slap happy today.

Great job Sydneyman!! Wow, that sounds very tough!!

I'm safely through Day 10 and kind of exhausted....see you all later!
Old 10-20-2015, 03:23 PM
  # 482 (permalink)  

Oh Maximus - great to see you back! And welcome Enoughsenough - it's not too late to join - of course not!
Old 10-20-2015, 03:24 PM
  # 483 (permalink)  

Juno... Thanks.. Its like beeing a kid in a candy store!!! All the booze you want for free!!! My biggest test/ acomplishment so far...I certainly can have it but I choose not to as I know what will happen, a one way street to endless hangovers and spiraling binges
Old 10-20-2015, 03:29 PM
  # 484 (permalink)  

I know the feeling. Fortunately I can still remember how bad my last binge was - it's a huge deterrent to ever wanting a drink again!! Head spinning, foggy brain, panic attacks and nausea -- not much fun at all!
Old 10-20-2015, 03:29 PM
  # 485 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yeah, the thanks button is problematic for some members Midton, so you're not alone - but most people seem to like it, so I think it's here to stay

I always try to thank everyone's posts in these kinds of threads - if there's not a thank you for your post, it probably means nothing more sinister than my hand misfired

welcome back Max - good recovery planning Dobie girl

...and I feel confident in saying noone here hates you Layali

D
Old 10-20-2015, 03:39 PM
  # 486 (permalink)  

Mentors

I hear mentors mentioned a lot in the posts. What does this involve and how do you go about finding someone to be your mentor?

I recently posted a comment about day 1 and what helps. Unfortunately I didn't manage to stay on track and cracked to a few drinks. I have now bought some declinol and this has helped hugely and am now on day 5 without too much of a struggle. However, I'm aware that if I stop taking it those feelings of wanting to drink will likely come back.
Need to get something in place more long term!
Old 10-20-2015, 03:42 PM
  # 487 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Incontrol15 View Post
There's a lot of people who have to be as bad as those you read about or see on tv before they realize there's a problem. And by then, it's really difficult to stop. Much harder than it is now. And in the meantime, you lose everything that is dear to you.

I'm one of those people. And I wish NOBODY would go through that. I ignored all the clues during my drinking years and just kept on drinking. I went from beer to liquor at some point because I discovered I could reach my high quicker and easier. Before long, I was drinking every day after work and heavier on the weekends. Eventually that lead to anxiety and depression for a hangover and the quickest fix was a drink. Turned into an all day drinker!!

It happens fast. And by the time you realize you need to stop, things are really bad. I congratulate you for quitting before things got worse.

You're doing great!
This is exactly what I keep telling myself. I know it's progressive, and eventually, I'll end up much worse than I am right now. Looking at my list of poor choices though, it's still pretty darned bad.

I stuck to my plan when I got home from work, even though I'm not feeling all that great or energetic today. I think the worst urges of the day have passed.
Old 10-20-2015, 04:07 PM
  # 488 (permalink)  

Yarggh all, this is day 3 and it's the toughest for me. My AV keeps trying to rationalize me "sneaking" a bunch of beers while my wife is out. I know that's going to lead to trouble, but it sounds tempting. Grrr. I need to stick with this.
Old 10-20-2015, 04:55 PM
  # 489 (permalink)  

Tough it out! I believe in you, believe in yourself! One minute at a time!
Old 10-20-2015, 04:57 PM
  # 490 (permalink)  

Reading about alcohol and depression.
Really feeling bad, knocking things over, fell off the treadmill. Choked on rice (wth) and threw up repeatedly just because of choking.
Out of whack is not the way to be! I also get foggy headed and have to reread stuff, about health and wellness issue.
This sounds horrible, but most of us have learned to live with it. I'm not griping, only writing this down as a reminder for me on about Friday when I think " oh I'll just drink a half pint each day. No problem"
It's worse than drinking a bottle for me ! Lol
Old 10-20-2015, 04:58 PM
  # 491 (permalink)  

So, I seriously considered running to the store, buying a 12-pack of beer, running back home and pounding as many of the beers as I could before the wife got home with our kids.

Then I caught up on the thread above my last post. Thanks all for the stories and struggling with me through this. I ended on Dobiegirl's post, which reminded me that this is a progressive disease. If I were to start drinking, where does it stop? It might be another week, month, or more before I can get some sober days in. And when I did stop, I'd be worse off than I am now (and sicker).

Edit: And thanks KeyofC!

So rather then go and get the beer, I stayed home and ate a bunch of junk Thanks everyone!
Old 10-20-2015, 04:58 PM
  # 492 (permalink)  

End of day 1 ( thank God !)
Old 10-20-2015, 05:03 PM
  # 493 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome Luchita

I'm not sure what you read or what you mean by mentors but there's thousands of people on this website to draw strength from and to ask questions of.
Old 10-20-2015, 05:04 PM
  # 494 (permalink)  
Administrator

Good stuff JL
Old 10-20-2015, 05:06 PM
  # 495 (permalink)  

Hugs to you key. I'm in pieces today but you always make me grin. !
Old 10-20-2015, 05:10 PM
  # 496 (permalink)  

JL I'm sorry you're hurting! ((((Hug))))
Old 10-20-2015, 05:11 PM
  # 497 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DobieGirl09 View Post
This is exactly what I keep telling myself. I know it's progressive, and eventually, I'll end up much worse than I am right now. Looking at my list of poor choices though, it's still pretty darned bad. I stuck to my plan when I got home from work, even though I'm not feeling all that great or energetic today. I think the worst urges of the day have passed.
Good for you!
Every time you win the battle, you get stronger.
And yeah...they'll be a few days that you just feel "meh."

It's a nice little reminder that alcohol had a grip on ya. You're going to be surprised at how quick your outlook will change. In no time at all, you'll look back and say "that was easy."
Old 10-20-2015, 05:11 PM
  # 498 (permalink)  
Administrator

Time for a new thread, gang

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-part-3-a.html

D