Notices

When it rains, it pours, right? (Venting post)

Old 10-09-2015, 07:02 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

When it rains, it pours, right? (Venting post)

I got a super speeder in early August, my first ticket ever, but I was quite lucky on account of the fact that A) I did have three or four beers before getting in the vehicle and B) I had also taken a xanax so the LAST thing I needed to be doing was sitting in the drivers seat of a car.

For those unfamiliar with it, a super speeder is going more than 20 miles over the speed limit. Try 94 in a 70. That can be upped to a count of reckless driving depending on how the judge feels. But the ticket never ever showed in the system of the county I received it in so my attorney and myself assumed that the officer just never turned it in. The day of court comes, my attorney calls, nerp, I call, nerp, still no ticket.

Well then a couple of days ago I get an "FTA" - that's a failure to appear. As in my ass did not go to court to dispute the ticket. That comes with a bench warrant and seven days to go up there, pay the $600 fine, or face having my license suspended. I call the clerk and of course they're like "just come on it! You can pay a $75 fee and be added back onto the docket!" Yeah, and they'll roll out with handcuffs and a receipt. That seven days is up tomorrow and Kallistia doesn't have $600 just lying around. I called my attorney, he's going to pay it for me because he's "wtf'ing"?? also, and he's been a criminal defense attorney longer than I have been alive. Turns out they couldn't ever find my ticket because the police officer spelled my name wrong, way wrong, as in no one can figure out how he spelled my name like that.

Well now that I think everything's good and rainbows and sunshine are on the horizon, my ex husband finagled his way out of a wage deduction order on his child support so now me and my other attorney are scratching our heads and "wtf"'ing - he's four days behind, I'm sitting here with $1.70 in the bank and the $299 bill for my son's martial arts academy due - yesterday. Tried to call him, number is disconnected, called his wife and asked her what's going on - she says she'll have him call me - and nothing. This fool...we are currently in an open case in regards to child support, one that he brought against me because that dude loves to sue me, he's sued me four times in three years (and lost every. single. time. If he wants to keep wasting his money...). Anyhow, the one case I brought against him that was settled put him under very specific instructions that he either pays or goes to jail (he'd withheld child support for over a year just because he's a douche and he could and it's the only way he can continue to control me and the judge did not approve, there's no real argument to explain why one is over $7,000 behind in child support payments after he'd agreed to the monthly amount during a prior case he brought against me) so now...now he's sitting there like a sitting duck - it's like he forgot that he's facing jail time if he stops paying again - no ifs, ands, or buts, if he goes back in front of that judge he's going to straight to jail. But this fool, apparently does not realize, since he brought this last case against me, that is still open, he opened the door for my attorney to take him right back in front of the judge by the end of the month and have him locked up - I don't have to save up and retain her to open another case against him for contempt that can drag on for two or three months - because...he's stupid. This is how stupid and spiteful this man is. I got a new car and his first reaction is to refuse to pay child support. While forgetting that the lawsuit that he brought against me is still open and my attorney can just slip a contempt right on into this currently open case and that's that.

Which I don't want him in jail - but I'd like to not be blindsided with money that I budgeted not being there.

Like seriously?

Old 10-09-2015, 07:10 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Sorry to hear of your troubles Kallista. Sounds like you have a good ally in your attorney, I hope he can help with your child support payment issues.

All in all this will be much easier to deal with sober though, remember you have that in your back pocket.
Old 10-09-2015, 07:36 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

sounds like a nightmare but so glad to hear a story where the lawyer is the good guy or gal, and the ex is stupid.

hang in.
Old 10-09-2015, 07:46 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I had something similar happen with the tickets except I actually got thrown into jail. My speeding ticket wasn't as much as yours but it was embarassing being put into cuffs infront of my family over a speeding ticket that the court told me I didn't have to pay! Then I get arrested over it but I got out like 20 minutes after I got put in there thank God.

Good luck with the child support problems, I hear lots of people dealing with that these days, alot of them drink over it too, good to hear that you arent.
Old 10-09-2015, 08:59 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks...yes, the handcuff part is scary and embarrassing. I'm not going to get on my "protect and serve" rant because it's not a popular opinion...

The child support will work out, I'm going to call his enablers...sorry...parents in a little while. They always clean up his messes.
Old 10-09-2015, 02:38 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
zjw

protect and serve rant LOL i can only imagine haha.

thats just crazy about the child support too. I hate hearing stories about men who dont want to take care of there kids sad. If i was unable to pay it i'd be like OMG what can i do to help etc.. i'd feel bad and sad and guilty etc..

Sounds like you got good attorneys. I find myself in predicaments in life all the time where i think UGG If i could just afford an attorney i could fix this!
Old 10-09-2015, 03:07 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Do your best

best wishes Kallistia
Old 10-09-2015, 11:37 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by zjw View Post
protect and serve rant LOL i can only imagine haha. thats just crazy about the child support too. I hate hearing stories about men who dont want to take care of there kids sad. If i was unable to pay it i'd be like OMG what can i do to help etc.. i'd feel bad and sad and guilty etc.. Sounds like you got good attorneys. I find myself in predicaments in life all the time where i think UGG If i could just afford an attorney i could fix this!
Well, and women too, it really depressed me at the prior firm I worked at seeing just how many divorces and custodial issues boiled down to fights over money...that was pretty much it at the end of the day...the non-custodial parent worried about the money because they did not see it as supporting their child, they viewed it as why should they do anything to assist the evil other parent. I won't say all cases because I do not know, but I did witness time and again the children and the interests of the children just vanishing beneath tee problems of their parents. I fully understand the need for guardian ad litums - someone needs to look out for the child because their parents suddenly stop. All about one upping each other and getting the upper hand - winning the proverbial battle they seem to think they're in. It made me a little bitter and unfortunately I'm pretty quick to pass judgment on parents who avoid paying child support because of it.

I recall a case, our client dad was primary custodial parent with joint legal with the mom. Girl was in kindergarten and dad took her to have her hair done for the first day of school. Had some very nice mid-back micro-braids done on the child with hair that faded from black into a dark rose color and it was absolutely adorable - nutcase mom picked her up that weekend for her visitation and not only had the braids taken out of the girls hair but had her head shaved (maybe mom did it herself, who knows) because...wait for it...she didn't think her daughter was old enough for artificial extensions in her hair therefore her child support money was not going to go to pay for it and obviously dad didn't need as much as she was ordered to pay because he could afford an expensive hair style for their daughter. Because that's a completely logical and healthy thing for a child, much less a six year old child, to have to experience. Some parents, I swear, they make violence against them almost seem like an option.