Notices

AA Secretary drinks

Old 10-09-2015, 02:21 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

AA Secretary drinks

I drank last weekend and have an AA meeting now. I am secretary. I will not sit in the seat and ask the group what to do. Any advice?
Old 10-09-2015, 02:30 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm not up on AA protocol, but why shouldn't you ask for help, at least before or after the meeting? Isn't that what AA is for?

You could help yourself and maybe help someone else in the process?

D
Old 10-09-2015, 03:27 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

There is a reason why the word honesty occurs 4 times in the open paragraphs of how it works. Your answer is in those opening paragraphs
Old 10-09-2015, 05:41 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I don't currently use AA in my recovery but when I did I would've talked to my sponsor. To me, honesty is very important in any recovery program, although I have fallen short of it in the past. It is hard to be honest sometimes.
Old 10-09-2015, 05:44 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

welp,if ya want the hand of aa to reach out and help, ya gotta let them hands know. we arent mind readers.
please reach out.
Old 10-09-2015, 09:48 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Presumably you spoke to your sponsor about this? What was their advice?

I'd say you need to get to a meeting and seek some support. Even if it's one where you have no secretary responsibilities so you can be on the receiving end of some support (I think sometimes the person chairing doesn't get the same chance to share their own stuff as others do, and it sounds like you need that right now). Could you go to an out-of-area meeting with your sponsor so you can have a good talk on the way there and back?

Wishing you well in getting back into the recovery zone. None of us are perfect.
Old 10-09-2015, 09:53 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I'm not involved with AA at all, but I do think generally, "Rigorous Honesty" is a big part of recovery. What do addicts tend to do? Sneak drinks and then lie about it. It helps if we make a deliberate effort to break that thought pattern.
Old 10-09-2015, 12:35 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

The group voted for me to stand down, we read that the group welfare and sobriety is fundamental and a service position to help an individual secondary. However, they asked me to continue to read from the book, and my sponsor to take the chair. All good, all honest, we have a good group. My year and three weeks starts again, I am on day 4.
Old 10-09-2015, 12:42 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Glad to hear it tabasco, you did the right thing.
Old 10-09-2015, 01:18 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Pick up a desire chip, talk to your sponsor and start over at step one. The rest is immaterial - AA started long before you and I ever walked in the doors and will have lights on long after we leave........I suspect the same will be true with SR.

We need them, they don't need us.
Glad you're posting!
Old 10-09-2015, 01:48 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Tabasco, I just want to send you my support for coming right back to AA and doing the right thing by being honest.
Old 10-09-2015, 02:15 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tursiops999 View Post
Tabasco, I just want to send you my support for coming right back to AA and doing the right thing by being honest.
i second this. sooo many cant bear to come back after drinking again. many feel its humiliating yet most lf us in recovery view it as humility in action. weve seen many that had that drunk help sink in just how deep the problem with alcohol is. then they get into action and we get to experience the promises of the program materialize in their lives.
Old 10-09-2015, 02:31 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

A good resolution tabasco

D
Old 10-09-2015, 04:12 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hi.

I don’t like to put it this way because alcoholic thinking can let some to think it’s OK to drink.

But being alcoholic the natural thing to do is drink. With that thinking we must work on honestly remembering where that so often took us and work on not going there.

For me it was a lot of meetings, at least one a day and getting very involved in the meetings, even sweeping and picking up after the meeting.

We need to be in AA not around it.

BE WELL
Old 10-10-2015, 03:52 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Tabasco,

Let me preface this by saying that I do not attend AA.

But, my two cents is that I am not sure how helpful all this starting over is. You learned so much, and did so well, and you can use all those skills going forward.

For me, you still have one year, three weeks, plus the learnings you gained from your slip, your bravery in facing it, and the support you got from your group.

Hang in.