Notices

I want to quit right now!

Old 10-08-2015, 10:56 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Hi helpseeker,

Don't apologise,
The lord is taking care of you. 'He' will meet you wherever you are in your recovery.

Love in sobriety.
Old 10-09-2015, 05:39 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

So for anyone that has been paying attention, I finally saw my doctor today and she took blood work and scheduled an ultrasound for an abdominal scan to figure out the cause of my gastrointestinal issues, that's a bit of relief to figure out what's going on.

As for withdrawals, she's not allowed to prescribe any benzos per my school's policy, so I'll have to seek the help of my family doctor for that. Nonetheless, she is insisting on at least going to a detox facility to expedite the process of stopping drinking and do it in a safe manner. I do agree with this suggestion, as many of you had suggested, but due to school, I don't want to risk having to medically withdrawal. As such I've been tapering in the meantime, and last night I was finally able to cut back -- and significantly at that to half of what I usually drank. I cannot believe how much better I felt the next morning. Aside from being god-awfully tired from barely sleeping I felt more "myself". Oddly enough, I experienced less shakes and chills with less alcohol than I did with more, and I am proud of myself for fighting the urge to make another drink to help me sleep.

One thing I've realized, caffeine is not my friend. I realized part of the reason I wasn't getting tired, and relying on the bottle, is because I have been drinking caffeine (mostly coffee) throughout the day. I think being slightly tired during the afternoon and early evening is worth the being able to fall asleep easily.

I do plan to eventually cut off alcohol altogether, but in the meantime continual tapering, along with other processes to alleviate the sleeping problem, I think this is going to be a very worthy process.

The only thing that's bothering me is that my mom seems to dismiss any claims that I may need help. I feel if I ever did want to go to a facility to detox, or get medication, this would be quickly dismissed. I don't feel like I don't have the support, I just wish my worries and very valid concerns were respected more and I felt more comfortable in addressing my wishes to get help.
Old 10-09-2015, 06:29 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Why do you want Benzos? Read Sleepie's threads to find out how difficult and drawn out it can be to get off them. Alcohol withdrawal takes two to three days, Benzo withdrawal seems to be months of excrutiating suffering.
Old 10-09-2015, 06:47 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Gottalife View Post
Why do you want Benzos? Read Sleepie's threads to find out how difficult and drawn out it can be to get off them. Alcohol withdrawal takes two to three days, Benzo withdrawal seems to be months of excrutiating suffering.
Alcohol withdrawal is not 2 to 3 days.definitely depends on individual but can be very dangerous for a week or so, see your physician!
Old 10-09-2015, 10:47 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Good job!

Quit and never quit quitting!
Old 10-09-2015, 11:49 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Originally Posted by Sadie1 View Post
Alcohol withdrawal is not 2 to 3 days.definitely depends on individual but can be very dangerous for a week or so, see your physician!
Fair comment. The point I was trying to make is that Benzo withdrawal can also be fatal, and is much more protracted than alcohol. Why even go there if you don't have to?
Old 10-09-2015, 11:59 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Administrator

Just a reminder folks that we shouldn't be giving medical advice here or foreshadowing what a Dr might or might not prescribe.

Lets stick to sharing our experience.

thanks

Dee
SR