that alcohol destroys:
1. Family
2. Friends
3. Jobs
3. Bank Accounts
4. Brain
5. Future
6. Significant other relationships
7. Pets ( I put this here because I actually neglect my dog when I drank and that makes me livid now that I think about it, cause I love animals, usually more than people lol)
8..cars
9. home
10. belongings to family and self
11. self estem.. and
12. so much lying and trying to keep the lies straight..
13. pretending that life is just grand and yet it is a big dark hole..
Old 10-06-2015, 06:27 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

daz135.... I think this is the big part memory.. Ed is now 7 weeks out of morphine.. door open things left behind... cats are hiding most of the time... no water in their dish... he can't find half of his life.. in his daily routine.. whatever that is .. and errors in judgement so many that its scary... I am back to watching a 7 year old ADHA with big problems... but I am glad my drinking is gone.. but I am very tired of being the adult.. that has to correct everything...

Originally Posted by daz135 View Post
Funny what you sweep under the rug when you're in denial,you just reminded me a few weeks ago when I was hungover (the hangovers that I say I don't have ) I fed my horse and went to work for the day . Came home and realized that I left his heavy rugs on. It's spring here and getting quite hot during the day. He could easily have got colic and died from being overheated all day. A lack ability to concentrate could have been very costly on many levels. Talk about 'yets' I was getting real close to some serious repercussions from drinking and couldn't even see it!
Old 10-06-2015, 06:46 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Originally Posted by dru1085 View Post
I've come to the conclusion their is a consistency that alcohol destroys:
Hope

Glad you're posting Dru - well done, great thread!!
Keep coming back......
Old 10-06-2015, 06:59 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AlHowSoonisNow View Post
"The devil will find work for idle hands to do I stole and I lied, and why? because you asked me to but now you make me feel so ashamed because I've only got two hands well, I'm still fond of you" Self-confidence Self-esteem Self-respect Self-trust Peace of mind Destruction in a bottle. Like wild fire engulfing everything in it's path. No more. Time to live.
But what difference does that make?
Old 10-06-2015, 10:13 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dunkelheit View Post
The pets thing pisses me off the most. My pets are only supposed to live for 2 years, and I fully stopped paying attention to them for the last 8 months of their lives when I started drinking to pass out.
Yeah, I not only neglected them but grew to really resent them and they don't deserve it.

Originally Posted by daz135 View Post
Funny what you sweep under the rug when you're in denial,you just reminded me a few weeks ago when I was hungover (the hangovers that I say I don't have ) I fed my horse and went to work for the day . Came home and realized that I left his heavy rugs on. It's spring here and getting quite hot during the day. He could easily have got colic and died from being overheated all day. A lack ability to concentrate could have been very costly on many levels. Talk about 'yets' I was getting real close to some serious repercussions from drinking and couldn't even see it!
Horses are so much work!
Old 10-06-2015, 10:27 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

i wouldn't even say alcohol destroys anything. alcohol is in inanimate object, it doesn't force itself down our throats, and there are plenty of people who can use and enjoy it responsibly. we destroy ourselves and we use alcohol to do it.
Old 10-06-2015, 10:41 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tenspeedblender View Post
i wouldn't even say alcohol destroys anything. alcohol is in inanimate object, it doesn't force itself down our throats, and there are plenty of people who can use and enjoy it responsibly. we destroy ourselves and we use alcohol to do it.
I second this but yes I know what the original poster means .
Slowly but surely if we continue to allow ourselves to abuse alcohol we lose everything .
Old 10-06-2015, 10:49 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Childhoods. Alcohol has destroyed many a childhood. Something for all alcoholic parents to think about.

Delfin
Old 10-07-2015, 12:53 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Delfin View Post
Childhoods. Alcohol has destroyed many a childhood. Something for all alcoholic parents to think about.

Delfin

So tru ^
Old 10-07-2015, 01:59 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Yes, very true.
Old 10-07-2015, 02:51 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

For me alcohol started to take over my life, that obsessive behaviour, the subtle trade offs in my mind in favour of alcohol, I found out in hindsight that the myth of "functioning" is just false, I traded many a nights sleep, healthy eating and personal enjoyment just to have alcohol, and the knock on affect was more anxiety, a loss of self worth, feeling more depressed and overall not living anywhere near to my full potential.

Looking back it affected health, finances, work, relationships, emotions, feelings . . . the list goes on and on!!

Sobriety on the other hand provides a freedom and a better starting point to build a life upon!!
Old 10-07-2015, 08:27 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

It has stole any beauty i once had. My skin is dry and i have a lot of wrinkles now. I used to look very young for my age, not so much anymore.
It also stole some of my sons childhood. I ignored him a lot when i was drunk. Poor kid. Good thing he is 6 and i have a lot of time to make it up top him.
Old 10-07-2015, 09:52 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by needtostopthis View Post
It has stole any beauty i once had. My skin is dry and i have a lot of wrinkles now. I used to look very young for my age, not so much anymore.
It also stole some of my sons childhood. I ignored him a lot when i was drunk. Poor kid. Good thing he is 6 and i have a lot of time to make it up top him.
It comes back. I started noticing in pictures about a month ago--I'm about 5 months in--don't judge by my avatar pic --that was just me trying to take my first 'selfie' lol. You do have time to repair your relationship with your son--they are so forgiving when young. Also to be the good example in his life.
Old 10-07-2015, 09:57 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

On my last night of drinking, 4 days ago, I knew I was going to be quitting and I planned on having a last hurrah. I was camping and I tied my dog up and proceeded to ignore him the whole night. My husband put water out for him but I didn't even notice him. My husband also took him back to our campsite when we were done, but I probably would have left him there because I was so messed up. That was a big eye opener for me and I'm glad you included it. My dog loves me so much and I feel like I let him down. He is ok but it just reinforced my need to stop this stupidity.
Old 10-07-2015, 11:04 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  
Its a cold and its a broken hallelujah.

Potential.

You will never, ever, ever know what your potential is in this lifetime, unless you stop drinking.
Old 10-07-2015, 03:04 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Very grateful -- slid through drunk at work a few too many times

Almost stole away my lifetime City employment of 32 years.

Many a coworker there got fired just short of retirement due to their drinking.

MM
Old 10-07-2015, 03:26 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

destroyed a lot mentioned for me.

getting sober and changing me repaired a lot.
Old 10-10-2015, 12:52 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by GnikNus View Post
But what difference does that make?
The smith's reference went unnoticed... Haha.
Old 10-10-2015, 03:36 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Trousers, occasionally.

And self-esteem, relentlessly.
Old 10-10-2015, 08:37 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tenspeedblender View Post
Even the people who use it responsibly are still destroying brain cells