Notices

Tested? or Just life?

Old 10-07-2015, 09:58 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Therapy would be wonderful, Scott. I just wish I had a good therapist in my area.

My last therapist had me thrown into psych and now won't talk to me, how weird is that?

I seen this therapist 2 times in the last couple weeks at a few public places and she avoided me like the plague. Must really think I'm wacko or something.

I'm still really nervous about talking to someone like that and wondering whether they're just going to throw me into the psych again.

The few that I met in the psych however, were nice and understanding, the waiting list on them is months though short of being in there for a few days again, which I absolutely refuse. Not to mention thats a 2 hour drive.

Sort of backed into a corner here therapy-wise anyway.
Old 10-07-2015, 10:06 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by Holds1325 View Post
Therapy would be wonderful, Scott. I just wish I had a good therapist in my area.

My last therapist had me thrown into psych and now won't talk to me, how weird is that?

I seen this therapist 2 times in the last couple weeks at a few public places and she avoided me like the plague. Must really think I'm wacko or something.

I'm still really nervous about talking to someone like that and wondering whether they're just going to throw me into the psych again.

The few that I met in the psych however, were nice and understanding, the waiting list on them is months though short of being in there for a few days again, which I absolutely refuse. Not to mention thats a 2 hour drive.

Sort of backed into a corner here therapy-wise anyway.
I am a newcomer to therapy myself and it's really true what they say that you need to find a therapist that fits your style, they are all very different. When I went looking i found that most clinics had websites with photos and bio's of all their staff which is quite helpful. You can many times learn what types of therapy they favor, and whether or not the clinic itself prescribes meds or not. I chose one that did not do meds at all just because I wanted to try it that way first.

One of the things I've found very helpful outside of therapy is reading about mindfulness and meditation. There are a lot of good books on the subject and it really does help calm my fears - which I do still have by the way but they are much easier to deal with now.
Old 10-07-2015, 10:30 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I wouldn't jump to conclusions about why your former therapist is not talking to you socially. They are bound by confidentiality and perhaps she has a personal or professional boundary of not speaking to clients outside the therapeutic relationship. It could be for your own good - for instance, what if she started talking to you at a vulnerable time for you and you felt threatened or triggered in some way? How would that be good for you?

Why not schedule another appointment with her and see how it goes, then you could ask her about this instead of making up this story in your head.
Old 10-07-2015, 10:43 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Thanks,

I just really don't feel comfortable around that therapist is all. You probably are right about the confidentiality thing, I never thought about that.

The psychiatrist I spoke to in the psych told me that I was doing good and keeping up with my part by going to these appointments, it was the therapist that failed when I got thrown in there against my will and caused me more anxiety than I needed.

I just feel really uncomfortable is all. I went to 3 total sessions and each time I tried to talk about how I'm really feeling the therapist found everything to blame in my past and that could be, but I hated talking about my past and I felt like the past was in my past I can't change anything about that its done with! Nope we must talk about my childhood for several hours and waste my time. I always left those sessions with a ton of regret and fear.
Old 10-07-2015, 10:51 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Oh, I get it. I tried several different therapists, and they each had a different style or approach. I can understand your concerns.
Old 10-07-2015, 11:00 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Thanks,

I just really don't feel comfortable around that therapist is all. You probably are right about the confidentiality thing, I never thought about that.

The psychiatrist I spoke to in the psych told me that I was doing good and keeping up with my part by going to these appointments, it was the therapist that failed when I got thrown in there against my will and caused me more anxiety than I needed.

I just feel really uncomfortable is all. I went to 3 total sessions and each time I tried to talk about how I'm really feeling the therapist found everything to blame in my past and that could be, but I hated talking about my past and I felt like the past was in my past I can't change anything about that its done with! Nope we must talk about my childhood for several hours and waste my time. I always left those sessions with a ton of regret and fear.
Definitely sounds like you need to move to a different person. Do realize though that part of any therapy is going to be to try and find out the root of the problem. It cannot always be identified, but in order to help some things will need to be known about your past and current life in order to help. That part will probably be a little uncomfortable no matter who you speak with. But the eventual goal is a solution to help you feel better, and you really aren't feeling all that good now, are you?

Think of it this way...if you have something physically wrong with you, a medical doctor will most likely need to do some testing to determine the source of the problem. Some of the tests might be uncomfortable ( drawing blood, exploratory procedures, etc. ) but the end goal is to find a solution that help you feel better.
Old 10-07-2015, 11:30 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

You're right about the tests. Honestly I think the root of my problems is alcohol! Along with some generalized anxiety about being an adult. I don't know though I'm not the one with the psychology degree so I obviously am not qualified to diagnose myself.

You ever take the questionnaire? I took one and that came out with High anxiety, mild major depression and mild OCD, and that sounds exactly right! I thought okay, lets fix that then.

The things I am terrified of are losing my family and being alone. The things associated with that are fear of death, fear of illness, fear of messing up this that. I never had a single one of these in my childhood so I guess I thought it was pointless I dont know.

Yeah mostly though, the lady freaks me out now, like I feel like some sort of nutso that belongs in an institute whenever I went.

I talked to 2 that would do teletherapy, the first was great to talk to. The second therapist was very good at listening, the tone made me feel really comfortable. Sessions are $200plus each, with a minimum of 16, yikes! I do fairly decent at my job now but I think that would add to my anxiety.

The last therapist, free, could explain why it wasn't working.
Old 10-07-2015, 11:40 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

You ever take the questionnaire? I took one and that came out with High anxiety, mild major depression and mild OCD, and that sounds exactly right! I thought okay, lets fix that then.

The things I am terrified of are losing my family and being alone. The things associated with that are fear of death, fear of illness, fear of messing up this that. I never had a single one of these in my childhood so I guess I thought it was pointless I dont know.
Yes, I've taken the questionnaire and was also officially diagnosed with GAD. The questionnaire is standard procedure for most places, they will generally have you take it again after a period of time for a benchmark.

I also thought that alcohol was the cause of my anxiety, and it did improve somewhat a few months after I quit. But i still had a general level of it even after 2 years sober and I'd have waves of days where it would be much worse. Come to find out I've probably had it most of my life, but I was drinking so much the symptoms got pushed back.

My fears were ( and sometimes still are ) of dying and leaving my family behind. I fear having some incurable disease at times, and small physical sensations in my body turn into much larger problems in my mind. When my anxiety was really high I would fear that my heart would suddenly stop at any moment and constantly check my pulse/BP - which of courses speeds up your pulse so you keep checking, it's a vicious cycle.

Keep up your efforts to seek help and counseling...it's very, very hard to try and get out of the loop of anxiety on your own.
Old 10-07-2015, 11:49 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Have you tried posting in some of the other forums here? I have noticed some people tend to stick with only one when there are so many available and different people as well. There is one for grief and loss and one for mental health you may find helpful
Old 10-07-2015, 03:11 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Thank you for the suggestions,

I may do that
Old 10-07-2015, 03:31 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

You should be able to find a Cognitive-Behaviour Therapist who employs mindfulness as a therapeutic adjunct. The combination of the two is very effective for anxiety. They may explore your past to some extent, but only as is relevant to your anxiety, and not at any great length, just in order to understand the root of the problem - if there is one. Even so, the primary focus in on current thinking and behaviour. There is a plethora of research supporting the effectiveness of CBT and mindfulness for anxiety. I'd pursue the therapy option. It is difficult to get out of that loop on your own, as Scott says.
Old 10-07-2015, 04:00 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

I may try some therapy soon enough.

My mind keeps telling me, whats the point, Im going to die anyway! I know thats an overreaction but all these health symptoms are really annoying.

I live in a rural area too, small town, so its difficult trying to find something close.

Thats funny about CBT, I asked the last therapist I was going to about it, and she said, oh no you dont need that lets just focus on getting rid of those panic attacks, and then went on to teach me how to get rid of the physical symptoms, not the thought patterns. I asked because on her bookshelf, was a huge binder titled COGNITIVE BEHAVIOR THERAPY or something close to that and ive heard that cbt is very beneficial. I took it as, well this is kind of new to me so okay.
Old 10-08-2015, 06:42 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Mindfullness and Serenity Holds. You can do it sober!!
Old 10-08-2015, 08:12 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Wisdom is knowing what to do next;
Virtue is doing it.

D.S. Jordan.
Old 10-08-2015, 11:27 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

I may try searching some options this afternoon.

Whats the length of time for some of you on counseling? I thought maybe a few sessions would work but obviously thats not the case. One therapist told me 16 and that either seems like too much, or too little, as some say they have weekly sessions then go monthly, then half a year, then yearly then stop or whatever.
Old 10-08-2015, 11:58 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  
Do your best

Just want to thank Scott for really good advice & making me think about my own therapy thanks Scott