Notices

Question Regarding Skin

Old 10-29-2015, 02:06 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

My face broke out a lot more than when I was a teenager when I first quit drinking. My face was bright red and my skin texture was rough. Eventually my face cleared and the texture improved. I made sure I moisturized every day.

Caffeine will also aggravate rosacea as well as spicy foods. I have a mild case. It wouldn't hurt to see your doctor or a dermatologist.
Old 11-01-2015, 04:28 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dharma33 View Post
Hi, Hope-

Have you by chance started to take maybe larger doses of vitamins or supplements since quitting drinking, especially something with a high Niacin level?

Not giving medical advice if so, but personally for me if I take anything with Niacin I get a very hot flush in the face/neck/chest, usually a couple hours after taking it. When I read your post, it was the first thing I thought of. I had rosacea when drinking also, but was very different from the flush from high vitamin doses that sort of came on like a wave.
Thanks Dharma! I just saw your message today. I will look into anything I take that may contain Niacin. Thanks again.
Old 11-02-2015, 01:40 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I have the same ... Red cheeks and chin. I've recently resorted to taking my makeup every where with me to top up so I can keep hiding the redness.
I have noticed though that it improves when I don't drink. Give it time and avoid products thar dehydrate your skin. Face wipes are a big no no!!
Old 11-03-2015, 11:33 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I've struggled with skin issues and always hoped quitting drinking would clear it up... and it didn't Well, my skin gets much worse when I'm drinking, and that will clear up within a few weeks, but then I kind of plateau and have the same acne problems I always have.

Some things that could help... exercise, lots of water (lemon water is supposed to be great!), cutting out dairy (milk is full of hormones and can worsen hormonal acne, which you usually see around your chin), sleep and low stress.

Basically, be as healthy as you can be and give yourself time. It takes about 3 months to know for sure if any one thing has had an effect on your skin. And our skin "changes" over the years, which frustrates me since I never had adolescent acne, but sure do have adult acne!

Best of luck! Not drinking is definitely going to help because you are going to be healthier for it and that is goo all around!
Old 11-04-2015, 01:06 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Lots Of Good Ideas

I've got lots of good tips and tricks for skin care....

Don't know if you are into natural remedies or not, but I have an awesome witch-hazel/rose water astringent that I use which is also rich in Aloe Vera. It's by "Thayers" and can be found in health food stores or the health food section of a grocery store...It's very reasonably priced too with is great...very SOOTHING...and just feels good to put on...Products containing alcohol or alcohol deriviatives I think might be a no-no for inflamed skin and this astringent does not have any in it. Even my daughter likes it and she is picky about what she uses on herself!
Old 11-04-2015, 05:15 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Catch and Release

My skin is very good now. Before I quit, I had the bloated, red face. Red nose and I just looked awful. No amount of make-up really hid that look. I'm now 8.5 months sober and for the first time in years I am not ashamed of my face. While I still have some surface veins, they are easily covered with makeup. I have a glow now to my skin and it's soft.

I use baby wipes (sans alcohol) to remove my makeup, follow that with just rinsing my face with warm water, pat dry. Cheap and leaves my face moisturized too. In the mornings, before applying makeup, I use coconut oil for moisturizer. Works well and is cheap.

The best way to hydrate your skin is to drink plenty of water.

My beauty secret - no alcohol. Plenty of water, exercise and sleep. The free things in life.
Old 11-06-2015, 10:40 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Went to the health food store tonight to stock up on some items I can only get there...among them was a tea called "Skin Detox" by Yogi. There is also one called "Healthy Skin"...I don't have rosacea, but am into skin care and I have found that when I drink lots of water, eat well, exercise and get plenty of sleep my skin tends to look its best. Protecting skin from sun is also important for redness, discolorations and rosacea. Retin A is a good one for both wrinkles and acne.