Notices

I'm so angry at myself

Old 10-04-2015, 07:17 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Adventurer

64, you speak about many things which i can relate too. You had 11 months which is fantastic. What happened that made you decide to drink at that point? Did you fall hard or was it small drinks here and there progressing into all the time? I ask this because I am at 9 months, longest I have been sober since I was a teenager and I don't want to fall back into drinking.
Old 10-04-2015, 03:46 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Administrator

how's it going 64?

D
Old 10-04-2015, 03:56 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

AA did not work for me the 1st time. I didn't listen, and then stopped going . I never gave it a chance. You don't need to like going, but it works for me. It took me about 3/4 months to realise I didn't obsess over drink. I managed 7 weeks at most on my own. I am now 7 months with AA support. In order to get better, I feel we need to learn about this illness we suffer from. Slowly but surely it does work.

I wish you well.
Old 10-05-2015, 08:41 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

sva777: Congratulations on 9 months, you should be very proud of yourself! My advice would be, on the other end of what ended up being a 2 year relapse, to not get complacent with your sobriety. I know a lot of people say that but it's true. I think that's what I did and it ended up with a "I've done so well for 11 months, I deserve a drink for that"... which is completely illogical. I had a job loss and family illness and other things which caused a lot of stress in my life and I used that as an excuse to drink as well. So here I am back at almost square one and with that I can answer Dee's question: I'm doing better, thank you for asking :-). Saturday seems like a long time ago now that the fog of that hangover is lifted. I say I'm almost back at square one because, although I've only got effectively 1 day of sobriety under my belt, I feel like I've had a shift in my perspective. My last 3 dozen attempts at quitting I don't think I was fully committed to it… I was doing it mostly to avoid conflict with and disappointment from my husband. I am on the road to forgiving myself. The only way I can do that is if I remain sober. The more I drink the more I hate myself. Even though it was embarrassing to write it, even anonymously on the internet, I’m glad I posted my feelings “the morning after” because I can look back at that post to remember that day when I felt hopeless and out of control.