Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

Ever been told -- "Stop Your Drinking Or I'm Leaving You"

Notices

Ever been told -- "Stop Your Drinking Or I'm Leaving You"

Old 08-29-2016, 04:12 AM
  # 61 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mountainmanbob View Post
The reason that I'm bringing this topic us is because, I read here on site from time to time that some of the ones still drinking have been told by their spouses, "stop drinking or I'm leaving."
I still remember back in my old drinking days when I lived with a very sweet young Lady. My drinking had pushed her -- once more -- to the limit and she told me that, "she would be leaving if something didn't change." Well, nothing changed and in short time she was gone. Oh yes, then I spent many a night drunk crying in my beer -- oh poor me -- why did she do that.
Why does the drunk choose the liquid devil over their mate ?

MM
My wife left me last year.

As for the bolded, that is the question, isn't it? Addiction has its ways and we don't think sensibly when drunk off our asses, obviously. I spend every day of my current existence damning myself over previous misdoings. Sobriety is - sobering - and waking up has been a terrible experience.
Old 08-29-2016, 08:57 AM
  # 62 (permalink)  

This is actually why I registered to this site today. I'm camping with my family right now and this is my third day sober. I got trashed in front of my wife's entire family three nights ago and am terribly embarrassed. My wife has forgiven me but this isn't the first time this type of thing has happened and I do worry about how long she'll put up with it. I usually tell myself I'll take an indefinite break from drinking after these episodes and never commit to any sort of timetable. This time, I'm hoping to just be done.
Old 08-29-2016, 09:02 AM
  # 63 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MelindaFlowers View Post
Yes.

Several times, always the morning after blackouts where I would become verbally abusive and psychotic. I never was verbally abusive when I was sober. I am shy and quiet by nature but would turn into a raging monster when I would black out.

I would play super duper nice for a few days until I felt the storm had blown over and then I casually stick some alcohol in the freezer, casually pour it, and see if he would notice. He is a normal drinker and at the time, believed that I would moderate my drinking. I would behave myself (not stop drinking, just not black out) for a few months and then the episode would repeat. I would blackout and scream profanities, break things, and threaten to leave him.

When I finally stopped, it was after an uneventful non-blackout night of drinking. I was sick as a dog with a hangover one too many times and I stopped that day.
This is my exact same situation, minus the verbal abusiveness. Psychotic? Yes.... I always cringe and ache when I hear what insane things I was babbling about when blacked out. I can usually drink and be kind of stupid, but sometimes I just reach that point where nobody wants to be around me....namely, my wife.
Old 04-22-2017, 03:53 PM
  # 64 (permalink)  

Maybe this will count?

My mother used to tell me, "stop your drinking or you are out of my Will."

Never seemed to slow me down.

A fool is one who fools themselve.

M-Bob
Old 04-23-2017, 10:42 PM
  # 65 (permalink)  

yup...many times...she actually left a few times.

one of my first memories i have waking up in the hospital was my wife talking to one of the rehab counselors. I remember her being in tears when she was talking to her about what will happen to me if i don't get this right this time.

almost 14 months later, she's still here...so am i. she told me today how proud of me she was.

I can't ever get enough of that.
Old 04-23-2017, 11:04 PM
  # 66 (permalink)  

I've been told this before. It felt like my world was ending and the only thing to do to feel better was to drink.

Why do alcoholics choose booze over their loved ones? I can say that there were many times I felt like walking into the liquor store was an out of body experience. Like I was watching myself nail my own coffin. People ask why and I honestly don't know. It.became a habit for me, and then I would get stuff to avoid withdrawal symptoms.

That was scary... That's when I knew I had lost control.

I love hearing all your stories of success - so much strength and hope on this forum
Old 04-24-2017, 08:45 AM
  # 67 (permalink)  

In my 26th year of recovery I've heard thousands of stories from recovering alcoholics. Not once did I hear someone stopped drinking because of the wishes of another person such as spouse, partner or child. For us booze is our God, higher power, great love of our life. I remember how shocked I was when, in early recovery, someone said "you don't have to drink today".