Notices

Sober

Old 09-03-2015, 07:13 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Dyl71

Sober

Hello Everyone,
I just wanted to say Hello. My Name is Dylan, I'm 43 years old and I'm here in Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada. First off, I think this site is wonderful. I have learned so much from reading other people’s posts.

I've been drinking since high school. Alcohol has definitely caused some problems in my past. Started on weekends back then. I kept that routine for most of my life - a few beers and a few shots....6-8 a night, sometimes less- but mostly MORE.

I started imbibing a little more often after my divorce in 2009. I was living and working in Chicago at the time. When I moved back home in 2010 - I cut back again. However, the last five years have been tough. I lost a good friend in a car accident (no drinking involved, though).....My dad was diagnosed with cancer and my mom was diagnosed with end stage kidney failure (she's been on dialysis for the last 4 years). They are not drinkers, either.

I eat healthy, try to work out and keep myself busy, but when I'm stressed out - I have a tendency to gravitate towards alcohol. Last year, I was drinking vodka 5 days a week (usually a pint), from about 6pm to 10pm. I'd wake up sweaty and disgusting with all the things that go along with it.....irritability, sluggishness, anxiety, heart palpitations, red thrushy skin, etc.....

In August of 2014, I woke up one day and decided to crash an AA Meeting on my own. I went to 150 meeting in 150 days and remained sober until February of 2015.

I've relapsed a few times since. The first was a one night slip- then I'd remain sober for a few weeks. The second time I slipped in March- it reverted back into a 3 day bender. I started drinking regularly again in May.

Why? Because like all of you- I am an alcoholic. I am no stranger to the Big Book or AA Meetings. I am now more aware of triggers and really putting together an action plan. I think the first time around- I was just going through the motions.

I look at it differently now. I am back to reading the Big Book. I am going to meetings once again. I am jotting down my triggers......I have made my parents, my sisters, my neighbors and various co-workers aware of my situation. My neighbor across the hall in my condo unit is a social worker, and although we've always shared small talk and social courtesy- she told me to knock on her door and talk if I ever feel tempted.

This disease is something I'll have to deal with for the rest of my life, and because I have crossed the line from simply having a hangover to full blown withdrawal symptoms every time I indulge - the madness needs to stop FOREVER.

I've been sober since July 27, 2015. I'll be around on this site regularly.

Thanks for all the support so far!
Old 09-03-2015, 07:22 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
I could see peace instead of this

Hi Dylan and welcome to SR!
It looks like we're in the same neck of the woods, and I've just returned to AA after a long time away. I know it works for me.

It sounds like you're on the right track and this place just adds even more to the support.
Old 09-03-2015, 07:23 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome Dylan
Old 09-03-2015, 07:26 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Welcome, Dylan!

Read around and post often--it works if you work it!
Old 09-03-2015, 07:34 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Welcome to SR Dylan. I think most of us strayed from our sobriety at one point or another before we really got serious about it. Glad to hear that you are going back to things that worked and joining SR as an additional resource. You'll find a lot of understanding here and someone is online just about 24/7 so you can drop in whenever you like. Hope you can stick around and share with us, and congrats on your new sober time.
Old 09-03-2015, 07:38 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
aka Nesty

Glad you found SR Dylan , Yes having fresh ideas to stay sober helps a lot . The best part is we all understand . I used to find it hard in my everyday life to find someone that " Gets It " Sounds like you've built up some Big sober muscles & tools to fall back on that's the Key ! Knowing you can feel better Sober then Drinking . Welcome
Old 09-03-2015, 07:49 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks for sharing Dylan!
Old 09-03-2015, 08:28 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
under new management

Welcome, Dylan!!!

I don't know what I would do without SR. There is an abundance of support, advice and education here pretty much 24/7.

Congrats on almost 40 days!!

Old 09-03-2015, 11:51 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Dyl71

Thanks to all you for the warm welcome wishes.

I'll be around......
Old 09-03-2015, 12:03 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi Dylan , happy to see you have a plan . I came here on 26 Aug 2015 and still sober , love this site and the people are always ready to help out . Congrats on your current abstinence .
I admire your openness with the people you know . I cant quite open up the same outside of my immediate family , wish I could .
Old 09-03-2015, 12:03 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi, Dylan. Congrats to you on getting sober again. I can relate a lot with your story. I too use to drink a pint of vodka everyday. I too drank from around 6pm till bedtime. It's such a vicious daily cycle. It's awesome that you are getting things back on track. Keep it up and best of luck to you.
Old 09-03-2015, 12:09 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Dyl71

Originally Posted by Tam.S View Post
I admire your openness with the people you know . I cant quite open up the same outside of my immediate family , wish I could .
Tam S.,

Thanks... it wasn't easy being open with others and I would never have been able to do that in the past.

However, once I was able to admit that I was powerless over alcohol and that it would eventually kill me - it felt like a huge weight had been lifted......Most people are very understanding once you put away the lies and start telling the truth about your situation!

Old 09-03-2015, 12:09 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Welcome Dylan!

You know AA.

Reading the BB now. Read up to Bill.s story. Reading it again.

Your post was helpful.

So as not to piggy back....
Old 09-03-2015, 12:28 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Trudger of Happy Destiny

Welcome, Dylan.

This is a great place.
Old 09-03-2015, 12:35 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Dyl71

Thanks Fernaceman....

I lived in Elmhurst....fairly close to Naperville. I still miss going for tapas at Meson Sabika in your area!
Old 09-03-2015, 12:41 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Welcome and thank you for sharing your story! This is an awesome place! I'm in AA also along with this site and it really really helps! Glad you are here friend.
Old 09-03-2015, 01:06 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Dylan!!
Old 09-03-2015, 01:20 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Welcome Dylan. You've got a good start from a personal prospective stand point. It took me a long time before I finally knew there was no room in my life for alcohol. Even previous attempts, I always left a crack in the door for the possibility I could drink again. Each time, I would drink again.

Great to have you with us. SR has been a life-line for many here; me included.

Welcome.
Old 09-03-2015, 01:28 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Trudger of Happy Destiny

Originally Posted by Dyl71 View Post
Thanks Fernaceman....

I lived in Elmhurst....fairly close to Naperville. I still miss going for tapas at Meson Sabika in your area!
Sweet!! I live about 2 miles from there. My sister just had her wedding reception there last fall. GREAT place!
Old 09-03-2015, 02:43 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome aboard Dylan- good to meet you

D