Notices

Did you have a "favorite" glass??

Old 08-31-2015, 11:38 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I broke so many wine glasses when I was drunk. When I drank out of a wine glass I felt like it was okay and that I was "just like everyone else". Then I started drinking out of big mugs. The day I stopped drinking I got rid of them all.
Old 09-01-2015, 12:05 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I started putting my wine in coffee mugs. I was hiding what I was drinking. From who, I don't know…. I was mostly alone.
Old 09-01-2015, 12:22 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I was a classy wine drinker so I drank out of classy long stemmed wine glasses. I smashed so many of them being an unclassy stumbling bumbling drunk that it became normal. " oops there goes another one" I changed to tumblers as they were safer. Thanks for this thread I'm going to chuck out my remaining glasses, hadn't thought about it before now.
Old 09-01-2015, 01:57 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I had so much glassware. I tossed most of it. I did have a favorite rocks glass that is part of a set. I still have it and fill it with club soda and a lime when I'm feeling fancy.
Old 09-01-2015, 07:43 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
I know it's spelled Tabasco

Unfortunatey, my husband and I are clumsy drunks. Every fancy wine glass, souvenir cup you name it we broke it during our drinking stupors. That we became "smarter" to save money and started using our Unbreakable cups that you would buy for outdoor cook-outs. That's when we became "professional drunks"...my-my how proud of ourselves we were--even took pride in the fact that we were "functional alcoholics" that would always get up at 6 in the morning never being late for work or call in sick with a hangover. We ROCKED alcoholism.

Sadly, the rest of my life sucked--I wish I had a "favorite glass" because then I would have something to put little pieces of paper with messages written on them; such as, because of this favorite glass I lost important friendships, because of this glass my family calls me a whino, because of this glass my husband and I ONLY ever argued when we were drunk and past the "euphoria" and into the "you make me sick" stage while when sober we get along better than any married couple I've known--such a shame.
Old 09-01-2015, 09:02 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
under new management

I did have a special drinking glass. It was given to me by my non alcoholic best friend on my 50th birthday, along with an expensive bottle of vodka, my former DOC. That in itself was a bit sad to me; the number of people in my life that gave me gifts of alcohol because they knew they couldn't go wrong with that gift choice for me.

I love this pretty glass so much so that I decided to say "screw you alcohol, I am reclaiming my pretty glass to use for any and all non alcoholic drinks that I choose to drink."

Alcohol took so much from me, I was not giving it my pretty glass, too.

Old 09-01-2015, 10:40 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Oh yeah, I had two; one for beer and the other for rum, whiskey, whatever else.

I was really possessive of them, too. If wifey or child had used one of them, I'd turn the house upside down looking for them in a rage.

So glad to be free
Old 09-01-2015, 11:21 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
aka Nesty

Good for You 2ndhandrose !! That's the way to Slap the Beast - Grab back with it took from you
Another tool in my box of tricks Oh Ya - Make him run away crying lmao
Old 09-01-2015, 12:05 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Tabasco81 View Post
Unfortunatey, my husband and I are clumsy drunks. Every fancy wine glass, souvenir cup you name it we broke it during our drinking stupors. That we became "smarter" to save money and started using our Unbreakable cups that you would buy for outdoor cook-outs. That's when we became "professional drunks"...my-my how proud of ourselves we were--even took pride in the fact that we were "functional alcoholics" that would always get up at 6 in the morning never being late for work or call in sick with a hangover. We ROCKED alcoholism.
Sounds like me! I went for solo cups in my later days of drinking because if they break oh well and at least I'm not messing up our regular cups. Taking out the trash and hearing clinks of cans and plastic cups made me feel worse. It was like I held a college party for 20 people at my house or something, but it was only me! Did that stop me? Nope

Now I'm glad I don't have to take out the trash every single morning and evening and money isn't so tight now.
Old 09-01-2015, 12:39 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

I never had a favorite glass for alcohol because I rarely drank at home and/or alone. I always preferred to be around people when I was drinking. However, I do have a favorite coffee mug. In fact, I'm using it right now
Old 09-01-2015, 12:54 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Holds1325 View Post
Sounds like me! I went for solo cups in my later days of drinking because if they break oh well and at least I'm not messing up our regular cups. Taking out the trash and hearing clinks of cans and plastic cups made me feel worse. It was like I held a college party for 20 people at my house or something, but it was only me! Did that stop me? Nope Now I'm glad I don't have to take out the trash every single morning and evening and money isn't so tight now.
Oh my gosh, that clinking of the bottles :-( I have a few huge rubbish containers outside my building and id have to lift up and throw the bags into the metal bins and the smashing would be so loud and embarrassing.
Old 09-01-2015, 01:23 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Time2Rise View Post
I never had a favorite glass for alcohol because I rarely drank at home and/or alone. I always preferred to be around people when I was drinking. However, I do have a favorite coffee mug. In fact, I'm using it right now
Yes favorite mug for coffee/tea/any beverage! Mine currently is my Star wars empire strikes back mug Has held lots of chamomile tea
Old 09-01-2015, 01:32 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

I had a set of whisky glasses and shot glasses from a place in south western Ireland that I used for drinking, never measured anything out, simply poured from the bottle.

They're now polished and sitting on a shelve as ornaments!!

People now come over to my place and comment on them, saying what a waste that you have these nice looking glasses and you don't drink!!

I assure them they had a good career before they were retired to their shelve!!
Old 09-02-2015, 08:03 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

I certainly did. Good advice I received was to "trash your stash" and I smashed my drinking glasses - beer, wine, shots, pint glasses "borrowed" from who knows what bar. Anything that had to do with drinking had to go.

I feel guilty for not being "strong enough" to pack them up and donate them to charity, but it was much more of a letting go ritual than just getting rid of stuff.
Old 09-02-2015, 08:52 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

I used a large, plastic cup with my college logo on it. It holds 24 ounces. That way I could mix myself "a couple" drinks a night and still be obliterated by bedtime.

I now use the cup as a dog food scoop. My dogs seem to like it very much.
Old 09-02-2015, 09:27 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

yeah, a shot glass. But the bottle was my favorite.
Old 09-02-2015, 09:42 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  
Rehydrating to Oblivion.

I usually drank straight from the bottle. Pouring it was something that got in the way of my drinking.

Glad I dont live like that anymore.