Nervous and trying hard not to project

Old 04-21-2016, 02:26 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

The Saga Continues

I haven't posted in this thread in quite a while but there has been much chaos in K and our lives since then.

I am afraid that the days, weeks and months have somewhat mushed together for me so I am sure my timeline would not be accurate so I won't even try.

K has been for the most part unemployed since she went to rehab in November, the boyfriend came back into the picture and that relationship turned abusive, her job at the detox evaporated, K has relapsed yet again, she moved out of her apartment last week, stored her furniture in a storage unit, her car was stolen in just the last few days before she went to detox in Miami a little more than a week ago. Through all of this her sponsor remains faithful and supportive.

She got out of detox yesterday and was transferred to a residential rehab in Miami. She called her Mom yesterday and got to speak with her briefly, so at least we know where she is and that she is alive and safe for the moment. It is called "Rise Again", their website is pretty sparse when it comes to specific information.

I called the office number and was very politely told that I was not on K's HIPPA list - that crushed me for a few minutes, but I got over it pretty quickly thanks to MY program -- but at least I found out for sure that K was there! Mom called the office, she was on the HIPPA list and got quite a bit of information from a counselor and a person from the admissions group. This facility seems to each life skills in addition to the 12 step programs -- I pray that K "clicks" with this group and really delves into her underlying trauma issues - she will never lead a clean, happy life until she does.

So K is now again in the typical one week "blackout" period at rehab, so we will not hear anything for a while, but like I said earlier.....she is safe for the moment and that is all I can ask.

Mom asked the rehab if K could just walk out at any time -- their answer was yes, however, unlike most rehabs.........they do not return any patient valuables for 72 hours after a walkout - no money, no phone, no credit cards, no nothing. This presumably gives the "walker" a little time to think their decision over -- they can come back anytime in the 72 hours and provided they drug / alcohol test clean, they can stay. The rehab's policy assumes that if an addict walks out with money in their pocket, they will immediately go get high -- there is probably a lot of truth in this. The fact that they are in a strange city / neighborhood seemingly does not make a difference -- there are probably dealers right across the street and if an addict wants drugs -- they can find them.

Meanwhile, up North, Mom and myself went to our Nar-Anon home group last night and sucked up all that support and love from the group.....I don't think I could maintain my sanity without my program, home group and this forum. Thanks for being here.

ONE DAY AT A TIME!

Thanks for letting me share,

Jim
Old 04-21-2016, 03:18 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

HI Jim
I have not been on the site for few weeks but always admired you for your strength and hope.
I can't tell you how sorry I am that this is happening.
I agree that addiction is just a part of bigger issues that we carry from much earlier in life. To have a skilled therapist that a person can trust in order to dig into the pain is probably as necessary as a strong sober support. I hope that your daughter finds one, and that will help her and you all to move forward.
A big big hug
Old 04-21-2016, 05:01 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  
Administrator

Jim, I'm really sorry your daughter relapsed, but so glad she found her way back to rehab and still is staying in close contact with her sponsor. I'm so glad you and your wife have your program too to help you through this. Sending good thoughts and prayers out for all three of you.
Old 04-22-2016, 07:31 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Thanks for the update, Jim. It is great you are going to meetings, and good job working your own recovery! Hang in there.
Old 04-22-2016, 01:52 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Thanks to all that have replied or read my post, even if you don't reply or click in a thanks, the "views" count goes up and I feel less alone -- weird, I know.

When K was released from her first rehab stay, her counselor told us that she should seek out a trauma counselor in Florida. The rehab where she currently is located has some trauma counselors and hopefully she can work through some of her old issues with them.

We know that she found one of her friends dead from an overdose with the needle still in his arm, she has been in at least two verbally and physically abusive relationships, her Mom suspects that she was raped at some point and God only knows what else has happened. The bottom line is that she needs to work through these issues in order to have a chance of living a happy and sober life.

Thanks again,

Jim
Old 04-22-2016, 02:07 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Jim, my heart goes out to you. I'm thankful you have NarAnon to get you through this. Just know we are all here for you and sending good thoughts.
Old 04-22-2016, 04:27 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

So sorry about your daughter's relapse but glad that she is in treatment and has access to trauma counseling and that you have the support of Nar-Anon. . Sending positive thoughts to you and your family.
Old 04-27-2016, 02:39 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Grateful

The Delray Beach Police Department called Mom late yesterday afternoon on the topic of K's stolen car.

Since Mom is also named on the car's registration, she requested a copy of the report and got quite a bit of new information. The primary discovery was that K let a person named J "borrow" the car -- it was not an outright theft as K had originally presented. J was supposed to return the car by 11 pm the same day that he borrowed it -- he called and told K that it would not be returned by 11 pm. J knew that K was headed for detox in a few days and I guess he decided that he would just keep it.

To top things off as to what addicts do (and don't do!), K does not even know J's last name!

After attempting to locate the car for 3 days with no luck, the Delray Police filed a report of "stolen".

The police found K's car along with a driver who was apparently wanted by the police concerning other unknown matters.

The police need / want K to identify J from a line-up in Delray Beach, apparently the driver is already in custody so he is always available.

The car needs to be moved from the police station and that would involve towing and storage fees while K completes her stay at the rehab in Miami. Or, we needed to find a friend in Delray who could store it for us.

This is all a very sticky situation considering K is still in her first week "blackout" period at the rehab.

Mom called the rehab this morning to sort this whole mess out. As it turned out the rehab was more than willing to help. They are sending 2 staff members plus K, north to Delray Beach in a rehab owned car.

They will first go to the police station or wherever for the line up where K will hopefully be able to identify J as the person who "borrowed" her car. The Delray Police are eager to add Grand Theft Auto to the laundry list of charges already filed against J (or whoever it is they have in custody). K will complete whatever paperwork is needed and they will release the car to her.

Then K and one staff member will drive K's car back to Miami where the rehab has a place to store it for the duration.

So I am grateful for many things today, some of them are mundane insurance and monetary matters, but mostly I am grateful for the goodness and caring of strangers on behalf of my daughter and indirectly for us as her parents.

The recovery of K's car removes a major "stresser" from K's life which she certainly does not need at this time.

I will be more relaxed tonight at our Nar-Anon home group. That is how it is supposed to work -- last week I needed to lean on the group and absorb some of their strength to get me through, this week I have some strength left over to share with someone else who needs it. Together we can and will.

One day at a time,

Jim
Old 04-27-2016, 06:23 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  
Administrator

Isn't it a challenge when you are trying to stay inside your hula hoop and the real world wants to take you out of it? There are lots of valid reasons the police laid this on you and your wife, but whoa boy, lots of added stress. One of the things I remember being so incredibly grateful for when my daughter was working a program, was when she shared her problems with her sponsor, they worked through them together and I could continue to work on me and not get sucked back in. I'll bet being able to get the aid of the rehab and have them work with your daughter on resolution felt wonderful. Enjoy your meeting! I hope your daughter continues to make good choices so drama like this leaves her life for good.
Old 07-26-2016, 08:17 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Life is good

Hello all,

Wow, it has been a long time since I posted an update!

It has been a mostly peaceful time since K went into detox and rehab in April, her new clean date is 4/13/16 so she is slightly more than 100 days clean at this point.

There were several pre-rehab legal issues hanging over her head which have finally been adjudicated with positive results for her.

While in the throws of her latest round of active addiction, two things happened which we learned about long after the fact.

The first and less serious was that she was caught shoplifting something from a Walmart, don't know what that item was and have not asked. She was given 20 or so hours of community service for that charge with no record to follow her -- she does her service and the record disappears.

The second charge involved a traffic stop with her now-ex boyfriend. Her ex has an extensive criminal record - multiple felonies (not sure for what charges). Anyhow, the officer found a syringe in the car and she claimed it was her's to save her boyfriend from yet another charge. Apparently she was very polite with the arresting officer who did not want to charge her. Somehow she was taken to the police department and put in a holding cell and then released without ever being searched - more on the topic of searches later.

K was released from rehab after about 60 days and entered a halfway house in North Miami in mid-June; she continues to attend attend an IOP run by her rehab. (I will call this halfway house #1, HWH#1). This was a brand new halfway - not a new building, but had just opened as a halfway. Owned by a lady who is in recovery herself, she has several half ways sprinkled around southern Florida. K was one of the very first residents in this facility.

K called the manager of a chain restaurant which she worked in when she was in Delray Beach, he recommended her for a job at another restaurant in the same chain in North Miami - she applied for and got a job there before she was released from rehab.

K was unhappy in HWH#1 from the very start - did not like the neighborhood, people not friendly, alone in the house, yaddah, yaddah, yaddah. Her rent was paid for a month and we encouraged her to stay and tough it out. Meanwhile, her name was on a waiting list for a different half way in Dania Beach which was recommended by her NA sponsor.

After about 3-1/2 weeks in HWH #1, a bed opened up at the halfway in Dania Beach and K moved out to HWH#2 in Dania Beach on a Wednesday. K reported that she loved it at HWH#2 -- 16 girls at the house, the neighborhood was better, people friendly, etc.

Three days later on Saturday night, she called, "I HAVE GOT TO GET OUT OF HERE, NOW!" When asked why she needed to leave, she said that 9 of the 16 girls at HWH #2 were currently high!

She called HWH#1 and they said she could come back provided she passed a drug test. She passed and moved back in on the following Monday - I guess HWH#1 suddenly looked like a better place and her rehab staff had made a good recommendation. She reported that HWH #2 had not kicked the girls out that were high - unbelievable.

Last Thursday, K had a court date for the syringe charge - "Possession of Drug Paraphernalia"; this is a misdemeanor in Florida but has the potential for some jail time. She was very nervous about this Court date (which is good!). She appeared with a public defender and a stack of records from her rehab and IOP -- her records included the results of her many drug tests since April - all clean. The judge not only dismissed the charge but erased her record. It was the very best outcome she (or we) could have hoped for!

On Thursday night after Court she called to tell us the good news. During that conversation it came out that when she was stopped and caught with the syringe, she had a crack pipe in her bra and bags of heroin in her panties. How she was ever placed in a holding cell at the police station without being searched we will never know.......

K has never been overly religious. She was definitely raised in our church; exposed and educated about Christianity -- but it just has never really "sunk in" for her. My wife reminded her of several incidents in her life, including not being searched, where a HP or perhaps a Guardian Angel had protected her in one way or another. I think it may have started to register with K......

I lurk on her Instagram page - it is the one piece of her social media which I can visit and not "leave any tracks". This permanent headline appeared there on Friday after our conversation, "God is good all the time and all the time God is good", a saying / mantra from her very first rehab. Hopefully she is beginning to believe it.

After she had amassed one year clean (before her recent relapse), she had been a H&I speaker for NA and a NA sponsor with two sponsees of her own -- all this vanished with her relapse. Last weekend, K was invited to speak at the detox where she went in April and she accepted. Afterwards we texted and asked how it went. Her reply was , "It was amazing, it is so awesome to be back in the program!"

We just pray that this time around she has really "gotten it" and will stay in her program and maintain her sobriety. All the signs are good at this point!

Jim
Old 07-26-2016, 03:46 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Thank you for the update. She is on her journey and it sounds wonderful to hear she has embraced her sobriety again! Miracles do happen!
Hugs
TT
Old 07-27-2016, 06:20 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  

This is a great update Jim! God is good. I am so glad to hear she is doing well!
Old 07-28-2016, 04:15 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  

So happy for the good news! I'll be praying for your daughter.
Old 11-07-2016, 03:25 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Hello SR family......I forget who first posted with this as an intro, but I love it!

It has been a long and peaceful time since I posted an update regarding K.

We got to see K for a weekend in late September when she flew up for the Father Martin's Ashley Reunion Picnic - it had been a too long time since we had seen her in person (almost 10 months). It was an enjoyable weekend with her.

She is about to move out of her halfway house along with another young lady and move into a "3/4 house". Her NA sponsors are good with this and she thinks this is a better move than she tried before when she moved directly from a halfway into an apartment of her own.

I had never heard the term 3/4 house before but essentially it is still a supervised (and randomly drug tested!) living arrangement. The house she will be moving into is much smaller with only 4 bedrooms and 4 ladies in residence. One of the ladies is the "house manager" who keeps an eye on the other 3. It sounds very much like the Oxford Houses which are so common here in my state (about 40 houses in my county alone, 61 total in our tiny state).

K is still doing very well in her recovery and attends meetings at least once a day and sometimes twice. I think she is counting the days until she can again accept sponsees of her own (need 1 year clean).

K accepted a job at a rehab about 7 weeks ago, she lasted less than a week at that job -- I guess she did not realize that that particular rehab was a "medication assisted program" -- she told us on Friday of her first week that she was quitting --- "Everyone here is as high as a kite! I can't stay!" We considered that to be a good decision on her part.

Some time ago, a woman mentioned to her that she worked in a rehab (abstinence based program); this woman offer K a job when she crossed the 6 month clean mark (she now has almost 7 months). K started this job last Saturday - so far, it seems similar to the job she had in Delray Beach before she relapsed.

K really enjoyed her job in Delray and we hope this one will be just as satisfying for her. It has been a long hard struggle for K since she first relapsed last November; move out of apartment and store her furniture; detox; 28 day rehab; release; back to her apartment --- then an almost immediate relapse with her boyfriend; back to detox; rehab for about 60 days; release to halfway and IOP; completed IOP in August; remain living at halfway house.

One of the "benefits" of her moving out of the halfway into the 3/4 house is a later curfew. Her new job at the rehab is on a shift system - she is working the 4pm to midnight shift - - this means she is out passed the halfway curfew every day that she works -- the policy of the halfway is that the house manager has to stay awake until all residents are in the house. K's new job is not popular with the house manager at the halfway; the 3/4 house curfew is late enough that she does not exceed curfew on an everyday basis -- it is always nice to keep the house manager happy!

We have booked plane tickets and a hotel to visit her in mid-December and are looking forward to our visit.

Jim
Old 11-08-2016, 12:06 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  

So happy to hear she is doing well Jim.
Old 11-08-2016, 02:50 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Jim, this post just makes my heart smile, she is doing so well and yet recognizes what triggers her and the risks.

She is on a good path and helping others too...you must be one proud dad!

I'm proud of you too, you have taken good care of yourself, set boundaries and kept them, and been a shining example of recovery for those of us on this side of addiction.

Thank you for sharing your story and your recovery with all of us.

Hugs