Notices

Off to the doctors!

Old 08-05-2015, 08:46 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by blueberry2015 View Post
A friend of mine who is into holistic remedies has recommended milk thistle supplements to help heal the liver, Ive ordered some anyone else tried them?
I'd run that by your doctor before trying it, supplements of any kind can have positive or negative effects depending on your specific situation.
Old 08-05-2015, 02:17 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
I'd run that by your doctor before trying it, supplements of any kind can have positive or negative effects depending on your specific situation.
ok will do i'll def check that out x
Old 08-05-2015, 02:24 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I agree best to check with your doc. Sometimes there can be bad interactions between herbal remedies and other meds. My kitty gets milk thistle for her liver and I do take it for mine. I make sure to keep my doc in the loop!
Old 08-05-2015, 03:01 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Wil

Originally Posted by blueberry2015 View Post
Ooops. Liver is under stress got level of 229 (normal range is in its 20's) sooo ive got to go for a scan and go back in six weeks to see if the liver is starting to heal. For some reason she testing me for hep c too? Proceedure apparantly. Now... let me tell you this the last time I had my liver checked it was normal and that was in March of this year. 5 months people 5 months and my liver function is abnormal. If that isnt enough to put you off drinking for life I dont know what is. I can't ever go back. Never. Ive been given a real chance here to sort myself out even MORE detirmined to stay sober. Without your health you have nothing.
VERY BRAVE of you. Thank you for the post.
Old 08-06-2015, 01:20 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Wishing you well, BB!
Old 08-06-2015, 01:51 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Do your best

Have a nice day Blueberry
Old 08-06-2015, 03:00 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Hi Blueberry,

Thanks for this post, I had my bloods done 2 weeks ago and they were all fine, so I'm still drinking up to 2 bottles of wine a night. I want to stop, I've been referred to IOP and have my first appointment on Monday 17th August. I'm terrified of just stopping and have seizures, my Dr said to carry on (within reason - whatever that means) until I get my appointment and then they'll deal with my stopping. I can't wait to get off this awful ride.

I expected my health to be more affected that it was, your post is a reminder how quickly that can all change. Plus I am forgetting more and more every day, I feel so incompetent.

Good luck on your recovery - what else are you doing to help yourself?
Old 08-06-2015, 04:26 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by foreverfuzzy View Post
Hi Blueberry,

Thanks for this post, I had my bloods done 2 weeks ago and they were all fine, so I'm still drinking up to 2 bottles of wine a night. I want to stop, I've been referred to IOP and have my first appointment on Monday 17th August. I'm terrified of just stopping and have seizures, my Dr said to carry on (within reason - whatever that means) until I get my appointment and then they'll deal with my stopping. I can't wait to get off this awful ride.

I expected my health to be more affected that it was, your post is a reminder how quickly that can all change. Plus I am forgetting more and more every day, I feel so incompetent.

Good luck on your recovery - what else are you doing to help yourself?
Yes its important you dont JUST stop ok as you could end up in trouble. You may be offered one of two things either given meds to help with the withdrawal or your'll be advised to taper off the alcohol. I too was drinking on average two bottles daily thankfully I didnt experience seizures but I did have withdrawal the shakes, sickness and night sweats and absoultely shattered, for me that only lasted four days its horrible but it does go, I would suggest that you have someone stay with you during this time (especially if you have kids) and take at least a week off work if working. Thats the tough bit over. Ive been going to AA A LOT it really helps in my sobriety, also what I do is distract myself if i feel a craving coming on and that works. I have swapped my two bottles of wine for a nice healthy sparkling fruit drink that helps... I still have a glass in hand but its not toxic and helps me keep sober. Im going through some ups and downs at the mo emotionally. I have just referred myself to a 12 week recovery programme. Take and look for whatever help is available to you, come here regularly. In the early days of detox you may have very little appetite so stock yourself up on antoxiant smoothies and soup your'll feel better putting some goodness back into your body. Ive also been taking vitamin d and vitamin B complex daily too. I def recomend AA meetings (i was so scared when i went to my first one but glad I did it) and the most important thing in recovery is you take one day at a time. Just tell yourself I wont drink today. If the craving gets bad break it down to I will not drink in this hour. For me the cravings pass fairly quick usually within 20 mins. I distract myself. My drinking was always of an evening (see you dont have to drink first thing of a morning to be an alchy!) So of an evening I sip my fruit drink and have been watching a lot of films. Do anything which distracts you from drinking. Ive also picked up my guitar again and practice (badly mind you lol) but it focuses the mind on something different. And I listen to a lot of music - I love music and it puts me in a happy place (without the booze!) Good luck x x x Feel free to contact me whenever ok either here or via PM. Im only to happy to offer you support x x x
Old 08-06-2015, 10:09 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Thank you so much : )

It sounds like we're pretty similar, I'm only ever an evening drinker, 6pm onwards, 1 to 2 bottles a night, I used to think having 1 was bad but the last 6 months it's always been more than 1, lots of blackouts, lots of piecing things together the next morning, sweating my way through the day.

Good advice about the time off work, my husbands at home anyway so can help with the kids. I might ask my doctor if he'd sign me off for a week with "stress" or something vague so I can really go for it. The good thing is I have never prepared this much for stopping before. It's always been a flippant idea, today I got books out the library, ordered some from Amazon after seeing them recommended here. I come on here several times a day, will post more once I get started. 3 years ago I stopped for a month and did some AA meetings, found them inspiring!

So how long have u been drinking? I've been drinking 25 years since I was 14 and have only been sober for 2 pregnancies and that month 3 years ago.

I truly have got worse though, it's definitely progressive and I actually have no illusion that I can ever moderate or control it so the time has come.

Good luck, chuffed for you!