Notices

Maybe I can't!!!

Old 08-01-2015, 06:00 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Justme

Maybe I can't!!!

I really thought I had some kind of control of binge drinking. I told myself I needed to stop and I was done. I went out and got wasted. The day before I had just glass of wine because I didn't want to be only one not drinking but seriously who cares! Why do I care what anyone thinks!!! I'm really scared... I need to stop! But what if I can't!!! How many times have I said I'm done and I've gotten wasted just needed to vent!
Old 08-01-2015, 06:03 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

One glass of wine has a tendency to cause cravings that manifest as a binge the next day or soon after. Are you trying for moderation or total abstinence?
Old 08-01-2015, 06:05 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Justme

I want to stop all drinking.
Old 08-01-2015, 06:30 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Good intentions only got me so far, I'd go to work many times with the idea that I'd quit, on the drive home I'd stop by the liquor store and drink that evening.

What are you doing to make Sobriety happen? for me I needed action, new routines, plenty of support built into my routines, we have to make Sobriety happen!!

You can do this!!
Old 08-01-2015, 07:07 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Purpleknight View Post
Good intentions only got me so far, I'd go to work many times with the idea that I'd quit, on the drive home I'd stop by the liquor store and drink that evening.
There it is.

I too recall the many times I told myself I wouldn't drink that day but ended up doing so. Only I could decide when I had enough.

And finally when I found myself sick and tired of being sick and tired I was ready to stop.

However, my drinking had been out of control for a good ten years but I didn`t want to quit.
Old 08-01-2015, 07:10 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Actions are often what works, particularly if you already know that willing it to happen isn't working. Are you going to meetings? Maybe an outpatient treatment program?
Old 08-01-2015, 07:14 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

justme,
it's doable.
took me many many tries.
if you've repeated this cycle over and over, look at doing it differently. adding a plan and following it. putting a support system in place.
that kind of thing.

keep showing up.
Old 08-01-2015, 07:57 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

I need to stop! But what if I can't!!! How many times have I said I'm done and I've gotten wasted just needed to vent!
Anyone can stop.
Seriously

it all comes down to how much work we're prepared to do and how many changes we're willing to make in our lives.

What does your recovery plan look like, justme?

D
Old 08-01-2015, 08:00 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by justme View Post
I want to stop all drinking.
That's sounds like a great goal to seek, many have difficulty even getting to that point. You absolutely CAN do it if you really want to a and work at it.
Old 08-02-2015, 12:10 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

You can do this, Justme.

Starting Recovery seems like it's hard for everyone at first. We know we want to stop, and the Addict part of us recognizes this. All of a sudden our triggers and cravings feel like they're worse, and we have to battle these heightened feelings while also learning to lead a sober life.

I had to relearn everything when I started recovery.
- I had to relearn driving home, because the first few times I did it I ended up walking into the liquor store I drive pass automatically.
- I had to relearn answering the phone, because the first few times I did it and a friend offered to grab a drink I wasn't prepared to say No.
- I had to relearn listening to music over headphones, because the first few times I did it it brought back memories of me drunkenly dancing and inspired me to go get drunk.

It's challenging to get sober. You may very well need to relearn everything, and you may very well slip quite a bit in the early moments of recovery.
Just take those experiences and recognize them. Keep pushing yourself, keep sobriety #1 on your mind for as long as possible, and each time you slip assess why you slipped, and make sure never to allow that same mistake again.

The more you learn (or relearn) how to live soberly, the easier it gets. You start to see the "reason" behind your drinking side in things before you experience them, and so you can tackle them with sober calm more and more easily, and eventually kick the slipping for longer (hopefully forever) periods.
Old 08-02-2015, 01:13 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Do your best

it all starts with a day 1
Old 08-02-2015, 04:42 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

The reality for people like us is that we just can't have just one drink. Believe me, I know. I've tried it many times. It just doesn't work. John
Old 08-02-2015, 04:54 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
SD 7/3/15 SRJD 7/14/15

Definitely you can!

You are in control of what you are doing, no one and/or nothing else.
Old 08-02-2015, 06:22 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by justme View Post
How many times have I said I'm done and I've gotten wasted just needed to vent!
I will echo what the others have said, action addresses alcoholism, not venting about your struggles.

If you are going to use SR for support, use it. Join the August class in the Newcomers section, get some accountability, and actively engage in your own recovery.
Old 08-02-2015, 12:18 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I agree with others, you can stop...you really can. But it requires effort. If you are willing to put forth that effort, good things will happen.
Old 08-02-2015, 12:35 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I found this really helpful from this forum and have used it often recently in early sobriety.

My new armoury against thinking of drinking and cravings is simply.

I am never going to drink and I am never going to change my mind.

I also use it for my biggest character flaw
I am never going to wallow in self pity and I am never going to change my mind.

Good luck just me, you're pretty much like the rest of us who deal with this every day. You can do it and it is worth it.
AVRT Explained
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ined-long.html
Old 08-08-2015, 10:44 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

The best thing you can do is tell your doctor, and family/friends (if you can) about your addiction. Detox under medical supervision and then check into rehab. If your friends don't support you in becoming sober because you're not good times anymore then they're not your friends, get new friends.
Old 08-08-2015, 11:05 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

This link will take you to a lot of helpful information and help to stay quit for ever. A plan is the key to recovery.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...at-we-did.html