Notices

Are you kidding me?

Old 08-01-2015, 03:36 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Are you kidding me?

I just had to write this because sometimes I'm convinced that the world's working against me.

Today was the first day of vacation for my family and I. I figured it would be a great time to get away from temptation and distract myself for a week. I surprisingly haven't been craving that much, and so I figured that this would be a week where I'd surely forget about the existence of cannabis altogether.

We're in a relatively remote area, staying in a couple log cabins. It's beautiful and when we arrived the first thought that popped into my head was "man, there's nobody around here, it would've been so easy to run off into the woods if you had brought some weed". Even during my smoking days, I normally wouldn't bring anything on family trips and so I'd think this the entire time. This time turned out to be no different. It doesn't help that I have an old stoner friend who goes to school about an hour away from where I am, and he's just a phone call away.

Anyways, I tried my best to silence the craving induced by the thought. My family and I decided to take a walk on a wooded trail, and I figured this would help distract. It didn't, as hiking has always been a trigger for me. Well anyways, ten minutes into the walk we end up passing a group of guys who looked to be about my age who were hanging out by a creek. As we were passing them, I noticed one had a blunt in his hand.

Are you kidding me? I leave a drug-filled college campus to escape reality, and it smacks me in the face harder than I could imagine. Maybe this is why I was craving to begin with. The consequences of addiction seem less real when one isn't surrounded by the shambles of their everyday life.

Ugh. I'm done. Thanks for listening everyone.
Old 08-01-2015, 03:50 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

You can get past this. Remember why you're quitting and don't look back

Enjoy the week with your family, RT.

D
Old 08-01-2015, 03:58 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

No matter where we go it seems, it's hard to totally stay away from it. In time it's no big deal because we will realize that the clean and sober life is truly the best life.

I smoked a ton in my life and have no craving today. Actually for well over 10 years now for the pot. 7 years with no running with the liquid devil.
Mountainman
Old 08-01-2015, 05:40 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

The crazy part is that if I would've hit that blunt I would only be obsessing about how to hook up with more. I ruined many vacations with my family this way. By the grace of God, no more.
Old 08-01-2015, 05:57 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

For me, cannabis was harder to put down than the booze. I'm not religious and I had no concept of a higher power, but being at my wits end, I followed a suggestion - to pray to have the obsession removed. I prayed constantly for a day or so, whenever the thought came in to my head. And a few days later, the craving to use disappeared and hasn't returned in 17 years. I can even walk past and get a whiff of it and still no craving.
Old 08-01-2015, 07:15 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone. It was a good thing I was with my parents. Asking for a hit wouldn't have been an option. Anyways, the craving passed and here I am.
Old 08-01-2015, 11:53 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mountainmanbob View Post
No matter where we go it seems, it's hard to totally stay away from it. In time it's no big deal because we will realize that the clean and sober life is truly the best life.

I smoked a ton in my life and have no craving today. Actually for well over 10 years now for the pot. 7 years with no running with the liquid devil.
Mountainman

Last year I was house sitting my brother`s house in a nice area of Los Angeles walking distance from a hiking trail as well as the sea.

I watched a fellow sitting under tree getting high and thought to myself how nice that must be.

Also thought how nice it would be to pour a bit of Kailua into my morning coffee just to start the day off right. Why not? I`m on holiday and staying in this nice area.

But then I play the tape in my head which always ends to same: bad.

I`d enjoy the week and return home but the drinking/smoking would continue. Maybe slow at first but it would continue. Then the cravings would return and the problems associated with abusive drinking/pot smoking would be back.

For whatever reason I simply can`t enjoy a few drinks and/or getting high now and then.

Easiest way is to avoid that first drink or hit of pot.
Old 08-03-2015, 09:54 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

prayers kiddo you can and have to do this for a better life... take a good long look at the news and the people that have police around them... mmmm.... not a pretty photo at all.. and here in Milwaukee 75% of the killings are drug related... 10% prostitution and 15% just nasty people killing others.. hold tight for this will be a rough ride.. but like my Hubby says.. without Ardy he would be dead... your family cares about you and so do so many here.. prayers and hugs from Wisconsin...
Old 08-04-2015, 07:21 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Things are not capable to be "crazy" just like the world can't be against you. Your beliefs can be working against you, thou

Hope you shift a bit towards a better state of mind.

Peace
Old 08-04-2015, 07:33 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Crazy thoughts come and go with all of us at times, even when we're straight. It's whether we can see them and step back from them, just allowing them to go as they always do. They move through much quicker when we just watch them instead of identifying with them and get taken over by them. It's a process for all of us , bass masters. Jmho
Old 08-04-2015, 07:38 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mountainmanbob View Post
No matter where we go it seems, it's hard to totally stay away from it.
This is going to be a fact of recovery. I remember when I first got sober, I moved to Costa Rica for 3 months to get away from all the drugs and booze...only to find out my next door neighbors in Costa Rica were an alcoholic and a crack addict. Crack?! I mean, it was like a bad joke.

Your addicted brain is going to be very, very sensitive to being around marijuana. There's a part of you that's climbing the walls and sniffing it out. Many recovering addicts "hang around the barbershop" for a while and then shrug as if they're faultless when the haircut finally comes.

Getting off weed is your responsibility. Not the guys' in the woods, not your family's. Like Mountainman said, at some point you're going to WANT to walk the other way. Until then, just force yourself to keep moving. Thanks for sharing your rant, you're not alone, we've been there. Stay clean.
Old 08-06-2015, 08:09 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
hopping for freedom

You got this RT! Thinking about you and rooting for you. I'm sure you know everything I have to say so I'll just leave you with the dancing bunnies.

Old 08-06-2015, 08:41 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Lol WB. I think at this point dancing bunnies are probably the best thing for me. Been feeling much better the past couple days.
Old 08-07-2015, 05:17 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Good to hear, RT !
Old 09-03-2015, 08:36 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by racingthoughts View Post
I just had to write this because sometimes I'm convinced that the world's working against me.

Today was the first day of vacation for my family and I. I figured it would be a great time to get away from temptation and distract myself for a week. I surprisingly haven't been craving that much, and so I figured that this would be a week where I'd surely forget about the existence of cannabis altogether.

We're in a relatively remote area, staying in a couple log cabins. It's beautiful and when we arrived the first thought that popped into my head was "man, there's nobody around here, it would've been so easy to run off into the woods if you had brought some weed". Even during my smoking days, I normally wouldn't bring anything on family trips and so I'd think this the entire time. This time turned out to be no different. It doesn't help that I have an old stoner friend who goes to school about an hour away from where I am, and he's just a phone call away.

Anyways, I tried my best to silence the craving induced by the thought. My family and I decided to take a walk on a wooded trail, and I figured this would help distract. It didn't, as hiking has always been a trigger for me. Well anyways, ten minutes into the walk we end up passing a group of guys who looked to be about my age who were hanging out by a creek. As we were passing them, I noticed one had a blunt in his hand.

Are you kidding me? I leave a drug-filled college campus to escape reality, and it smacks me in the face harder than I could imagine. Maybe this is why I was craving to begin with. The consequences of addiction seem less real when one isn't surrounded by the shambles of their everyday life.

Ugh. I'm done. Thanks for listening everyone.
When I run into things like this, I take it as a sign that I'm not supposed to rely on distractions, can't depend on that. Need to address the root cause of the craving and there is no shortcut to avoiding that. Like a huge sign it's time to confront even more directly and not try to run around it.
Old 09-09-2015, 08:53 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
hopping for freedom

Hi, RT!
Old 09-10-2015, 06:23 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Hi RT.. had to read the rant again... all I could think of was wow wish I could be there to walk the woods paths and fishing and have dinner in the cabins.. wow.. some peoples kids .. hope you had a great time...
Old 09-10-2015, 01:45 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Sorry but I couldn't help laugh at your opening line: The whole world must be against me because someone conspired to make me see and smell pot on my holiday! You know that paranoia is one of the most famous symptoms of smoking marijuana, right?

You've done well to put it down. Sounds to me like it wasn't making you happy any more. Well done for breaking out of its trap.
Old 09-10-2015, 02:30 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by endlesspatience View Post
You know that paranoia is one of the most famous symptoms of smoking marijuana, right?

Sounds to me like it wasn't making you happy any more.
That's true. I thought when I was young that I would be smoking pot for the rest of my life. Smoked it everywhere, work, play and late into the night. Then the day came prox 13 years ago when just a little pot made me very paranoid. Yes, it was time to put that lifetime of using drug down.
MM
Old 09-10-2015, 09:24 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Hello to you as well WB. Life must be getting pretty crazy for you. Not sure of your due date or anything of course, but baby bunny must be getting ready to come out of the oven pretty soon . Look forward to hearing from you when he/she finally does. Hope everything else is going swell too.

I did have a very good time ardy, thanks for asking. It was a nice quiet week away from everything at a time when I really needed it. It was up near Lake Placid, NY. Absolutely gorgeous place. I surely hope I'll be back someday.

Lol endlesspatience, I think you may have taken my opening line a bit too literally. I didn't actually think someone was conspiring against me, it just went along with the emotions of the "are you kidding me" moment that it was. Haven't thought of it since. I was about 3 weeks in when that occurred. Last week I saw/smelled a few people smoking in some brush on my college's campus and it didn't phase me at all. Once upon a time that would have been me crouching down in a thicket while looking over my shoulder for cops. Glad I'm done with all that crap.

Hope everyone is well!