Notices

Class of October 2014 Part 18

Old 08-20-2015, 02:41 PM
  # 481 (permalink)  

Hmm. How interesting that you got a DUI phoebe.
Glad it's over already. Hope the driver learns the lesson.

Oh Leigh, I hope you're OK. My mum broke some bones doing that. Be careful my love.

School Arbor? I don't understand. Unless maybe your wife is a teacher.
Enjoy your long weekend.

Mark love, you are still plenty young. Just saying.
And have you looked in the mirror? You are in fantastic shape.

Still half asleep here.
Love to all of you. ♥
Old 08-20-2015, 03:40 PM
  # 482 (permalink)  

Venus, most of the kids three and up here attend some sort of school. It is expected that they will attend pre-school prior to beginning kindergarten at age 5. If they don't, they will require kindergarten readiness assessments. Serious business here. My four year old nephew is expected to be reading by kindergarten next year.
Old 08-20-2015, 03:48 PM
  # 483 (permalink)  

Ah, I see now BD ~ its pretty similar here, it's just not called school for 3-year-olds, so I didn't understand. Thank you love.
Old 08-20-2015, 03:56 PM
  # 484 (permalink)  

Yeah should have said pre-school. My son has been in it since he was 2. Did him wonders! We actually have been doing a summer program too but in August it's closed. So he basically goes year round and we love it.

Phoebe if weeds are trouble I usually put down Preen or Snapshot in the beds. That and a good layer of mulch. I haven't pulled a weed all season!
Old 08-20-2015, 04:04 PM
  # 485 (permalink)  

You have to be careful with weed killer when you have a dog, or cat.
They are pretty poisonous.
Old 08-20-2015, 04:14 PM
  # 486 (permalink)  

That's the thing. It's not a weed killer. It's a granular prevenative (pre-emergent). Put it down in early spring and your good to go.
Old 08-20-2015, 04:16 PM
  # 487 (permalink)  

What I was pulling was, I think, common pokeweed; I tried to attach a photo but it didn't work.
Old 08-20-2015, 04:25 PM
  # 488 (permalink)  

Ahhh...pokeweed. We used to have fun with that one as kids. I think the Native Americans used the berries as a dye. Shouldn't be too hard to control.
Old 08-20-2015, 04:39 PM
  # 489 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Arbor View Post
Ahhh...pokeweed. We used to have fun with that one as kids. I think the Native Americans used the berries as a dye. Shouldn't be too hard to control.
I had to eradicate it from the lawn when we first purchased this home which wasn't too difficult. The birds drop the fruit seeds, I think, and if dropped behind an existing plant or bush, the weed can thrive and grow unnoticed for some time (which this one and one other did).

I'm not sure which one of us got the last laugh in this instance as I am still quite sore.
Old 08-20-2015, 04:43 PM
  # 490 (permalink)  

We played with that weed too Arbor...it is really common along the fence rows where I grew up. I was just reading how toxic it is. I had no idea about that and need to teach my little one that those enticing berries are no good. I'm gonna take the advice on the pre-emergent next year. My lawn service does it for the grass and it works great....duh.....why haven't I done it for the planting beds?

And thanks V for the sweet encouragement. I guess I'm holding up pretty good. Did some of my best yet lifting yesterday, but I really am more careful now about form etc.. I can't do anything to keep me out of work ....these are some $$$ years in raising a family.

Speaking of work....I've got so much on my plate (mostly a good thing) that I felt a little overwhelmed today and had my first intense craving in several weeks. But it was about 3:30 and I was getting hungry and a little stressed. Back to basics for me.....I'm gonna take some of my protein drinks there again. I had stopped doing that and simple as it is, it pretty much takes care of it.
Old 08-20-2015, 04:50 PM
  # 491 (permalink)  

Keep a few candy bars handy for emergencies, too, Mark!!!!! I always have a few stashed away in the freezer.

Now, if I only had magical powers to summons one to my side right now . . .
Old 08-20-2015, 06:58 PM
  # 492 (permalink)  

Now I know what pokeweed is. Saw some at the edges of the field where we walked the dog yesterday.
Old 08-20-2015, 08:51 PM
  # 493 (permalink)  
02.27.15 :): ▽VII△VIII

Hi guys,

Phoebe - I'm glad you had the juror experience without the daily commute. Lucky you! A few years ago, I served on a jury for a gang-related attempted murder trial that went all day, four days a week, for five weeks. Luckily, it was local, I was childless at the time, and I worked for a law firm that would have been a bit hypocritical not to pay me while I served on a jury, so I was paid my normal wages. It was very interesting and much more complicated than I expected. We deliberated for, I think, three days? Four maybe? It was very hard, and we ultimately hung on attempted murder but convicted him on the lesser counts like shooting into an occupied vehicle, etc. I followed up on the case later and learned that because he had a history and some other stuff going on, he ended up getting 40 to life. Crazy stuff.

Weed-related injuries are one of many reasons why I make my husband do all that yard stuff.

Arbor - my daughter is turning four and starts preschool next month. It's at the same daycare place she's been at for years, but they have a preschool for the older kids. Being there in kind of a school environment has been really good I think. She knows her letters and stuff, and I can definitely see her being able to read within the next year. I think it's also good, especially for an only child, to be around other kids and to develop trusting relationships with other adults.

Today's my Friday! I had to take tomorrow off because my daughter's school is closed for teacher inservice. It's actually good, though, because I need to get ready for her birthday party on Saturday.

I've had this super intense crazy anxiety the past two days for no reason. Like, I wake up in the morning with a tremor and would basically panic and freak out all day except that now I've got these magical pills that bring me right back to normal, and I go on with my day. Not numbed out or sleepy, nothing but normal. It's wonderful! Having them has absolutely saved me from drinking. I used alcohol to self medicate for years.

So what would have been a torturous day turned out to be a really good day, and I'm looking forward to a lazy morning tomorrow.
Old 08-20-2015, 09:09 PM
  # 494 (permalink)  

I hope your dd's Bday is wonderful, Briar. I bet that may be getting your energy up. I have found cloazepam to squash alcohol cravings a few times in my life. Whatever works, and is a healthy choice, IMO. It is something I use rarely. Have not used it for months, but I feel very comforted just having it. For anxiety, it helps just to know it is there.
Old 08-21-2015, 02:31 AM
  # 495 (permalink)  

Good morning all......I can't believe it's Friday again, but I'll take it. So TGIF!

Glad some are enjoying along weekend. Busy day ahead still phasing in govt. required changes and other stuff. I hope to get to the new normal before year end. It's sometimes hard to provide leadership on things that the government makes as clear as mud.

Anyway, I've used this work load as an excuse to book a house on St. John for vacation next summer. That's something fun to think about during the long cold three or four weeks of brutal winter we get.

Wishing all the best day......gym time.
Old 08-21-2015, 05:55 AM
  # 496 (permalink)  
Administrator

Time for a new thread
Have a good weekend guys

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...part-19-a.html